Admins, GMs, etc. playing on a RO server

Started by MrrgleCaek, Dec 20, 2007, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarale

As a GM, I always had something to do half of the time.  If I didn't, I would simply log out & do something else.  I refused to play a legit character once I joined a GM team, it just causes unwanted hassle.

You could be perfectly honest, and legit, yet you will always still get players who accuse you.  Sure, you can cast those accusations aside, but deep down, you know you'll never get the same respect as a normal character if you end up achieving something. (winning a castle, finding an mvp card.. etc)  Instead, you'll always have players doubting you.

Let's take an example,
Meet Mr GM.  Mr GM plays a legit character on his server, and happens to lead a WoE guild.  Now, let's say that Mr GM's WoE guild is constantly getting defeated in WoE & never wins, nothing strange so far right?  Now let's say that the next day, Mr GM becomes extremely lucky & finds a Ghostring card, along with an MvP card in a completely legit manner.  Would the players simply say; "Wow, Mr GM sure is lucky!", or would they start spreading rumours that Mr GM @item'd those cards himself?  What if Mr GM's guild suddenly started becoming victorious in WoE after this day?  Despite the fact that Mr GM is completely clean & legit, players will always have doubts, and rumours will spread, which ends up giving the server a bad image.  On top of this, this adds extra stress to Mr GM, who has to deal with all these rumours/accusations simply because he's a skilled & lucky player.

So personally, I think if a GM must play a legit, they should do so in a different server to avoid causing any possible drama on their own server.  Or if they truely insist on playing legit on their own server, they should avoid participating in WoE.  I'm not saying the above scenario will occur on every server that a GM plays legit on, but it does occur a lot.  The fact is, if the GM playing a legit becomes extremely lucky enough to find some rare cards/items, there will always be players who start to grow some doubts about the GM team & the server.

Fusioneko

Quote from: Xarale on Jan 17, 2009, 12:32 AM
As a GM, I always had something to do half of the time.  If I didn't, I would simply log out & do something else.  I refused to play a legit character once I joined a GM team, it just causes unwanted hassle.

You could be perfectly honest, and legit, yet you will always still get players who accuse you.  Sure, you can cast those accusations aside, but deep down, you know you'll never get the same respect as a normal character if you end up achieving something. (winning a castle, finding an mvp card.. etc)  Instead, you'll always have players doubting you.

Let's take an example,
Meet Mr GM.  Mr GM plays a legit character on his server, and happens to lead a WoE guild.  Now, let's say that Mr GM's WoE guild is constantly getting defeated in WoE & never wins, nothing strange so far right?  Now let's say that the next day, Mr GM becomes extremely lucky & finds a Ghostring card, along with an MvP card in a completely legit manner.  Would the players simply say; "Wow, Mr GM sure is lucky!", or would they start spreading rumours that Mr GM @item'd those cards himself?  What if Mr GM's guild suddenly started becoming victorious in WoE after this day?  Despite the fact that Mr GM is completely clean & legit, players will always have doubts, and rumours will spread, which ends up giving the server a bad image.  On top of this, this adds extra stress to Mr GM, who has to deal with all these rumours/accusations simply because he's a skilled & lucky player.

So personally, I think if a GM must play a legit, they should do so in a different server to avoid causing any possible drama on their own server.  Or if they truely insist on playing legit on their own server, they should avoid participating in WoE.  I'm not saying the above scenario will occur on every server that a GM plays legit on, but it does occur a lot.  The fact is, if the GM playing a legit becomes extremely lucky enough to find some rare cards/items, there will always be players who start to grow some doubts about the GM team & the server.

:P I found a geographer card. at a 0.50% drop rate to. It's the SECOND card to drop in the entire server. I showcased the player who get the first card.

EDIT: They could just buy the cards from some players, then somebody would know that.. this card was purchased from someone. Making the flow actually run.

Xarale

Quote from: Fusioneko on Jan 17, 2009, 03:47 AM

Let's take an example,

:P I found a geographer card. at a 0.50% drop rate to. It's the SECOND card to drop in the entire server. I showcased the player who get the first card.

EDIT: They could just buy the cards from some players, then somebody would know that.. this card was purchased from someone. Making the flow actually run.

Aye you're right, if someone was to sell the legit GM a rare card, then yeah it probably wouldn't cause any doubts amongst players.

However as shown in my example, if a legit GM honestly found an extremely rare/MvP card one day, some players will always have doubts about it & possibly start to spread rumours.  It's sad that things are this way, but I'm afraid it happens on some servers.

Fusioneko

Quote from: Xarale on Jan 17, 2009, 05:25 AM
Quote from: Fusioneko on Jan 17, 2009, 03:47 AM

Let's take an example,

Aye you're right, if someone was to sell the legit GM a rare card, then yeah it probably wouldn't cause any doubts amongst players.

However as shown in my example, if a legit GM honestly found an extremely rare/MvP card one day, some players will always have doubts about it & possibly start to spread rumours.  It's sad that things are this way, but I'm afraid it happens on some servers.

It can also dispel doubt as well, if the community is more tight knight, and smaller. It all depends on the community's overall trust.

Ashiel

Back when I GM'd on SnowdropRO (GM Asael), I had a legit character. I had a legit character before I was offered position as GM, and I continued to have all my legit characters afterwards. In fact, the whole server knew of it, and it was posted on our forums. It wouldn't be uncommon for me to be walking through town and see someone with a technical problem (a common one was sakray wasn't up to date and they had got stuck on a map they didn't have), tell them to hold on while I logged into my GM account and fixed it for 'em.

I GMed on that server for many months before a variety of issues brought the server down (most notably the illness of the server owner, who meant a lot to everyone). However, "corruption" was not one of those issues. In fact, no one ever even mentioned corruption that I caught wind of. I also had the "good commands" as a GM, including the ability to modify characters (levels/skills/items), trade and drop anything I spawned, and summon stuff at will. Everyone knew this too (since I always ran lots of events).

Perhaps what I'm getting at with my little trip down memory lane, is that some players (and GMs) will understand honesty, trust, balance, and fair play. The more the community understands that, the less drama you'll have over things like "GM corruption", and by community, I mean the GMs and admins as well.

I'm currently working on my own private server right now, and I'm GM/Admin on it. It's hosted via my home PC and Hamachi right now (router issues, iz bad), but I hope to make it public after I get the kinks worked out of it and ready to go. When I do, as I do now, I will continue to play with my friends, help my community (even the tiny community I have right now), and have a good time.

I guess the black and white "GMs should" or "GM's shouldn't" just doesn't seem quite right to me. We did have a few "corrupt" GMs, but they were early on in the server's life and most of them were less corrupt and just inexperienced (giving out items that were too good during events and such). *shrugs*

Well, it's really late at the moment, so my thoughts are sorta floating about (so I'm guessing a lot of this sounds like rambling), so I'm just gonna head to bed.

Peace out, Game on, everyone. ^_^

ADDFurret

I think it is perfectly fine.

Those who maintain and keep order of the server 24/7 will eventually get bored with the game itself. My definition of Okay is that the GMs Do not disclosed the information that they are GMs, for Judgment reasons and that the account is not allowed to come into contact with their GM account.

Game Masters are people too, they deserve to have some time off, or alone.

Dauphine

All the admins on our server don't have legits. All the admins who did ended up giving their guildies items, did shady deals for wins, banned whole guilds for owning them...

With GMs I personally feel it's a different story. I think a lot of servers have in common that, after they exist for a long while (Like RRO, where I work now) you tend to hire active and experienced players as GM. That's just it, they were a player first, a GM after. Usually players who become a GM have been in this game long enough to not care about the items, the drama, etc. since they already are at the top of the game.
It is hard to ask them to quit their legit. Same with me, I don't actually participate fully ingame as a player anymore, but I always love to do the new quests with friends or just sit and talk without getting spammed with the "GM HALP" or getting crowded by a whole bunch of nubs.

But then again.. a lot of GMs never could withstand the temptation of making their GM a level 100 buffslave, or leveling their characters with commands, or iteming some... stuff. Well, the rule now is that we don't give those abilities to new GMs until after a couple of months, and then even not.

So yeah, my personal stance is, Admins, no. GMs, really can't say no to them. They worked hard for their legits in all cases, and taking away their original relaxation in this server.. I can't do that :(

Edan the Man

Do I think GMs should be allowed legit accounts? I think its best if they have legit accounts, if I was in charge of any server I would say its even required.

The way I see it, the best way for a GM to know and fully understand a community, is to be a part of that community, and have first hand knowledge of whats going on in the game from a player's perspective.

A person who doesn't actually play the server he/she is GMing will never have the knowledge and understanding of one who's involved on a real character.

LiteX

Not wanting to beat a dead horse but my point of view of a GM/Admin playing on a server is based on some blacks and whites and a few grey in between,

Should:
*Se with eyes of a player on how his server is
*Someone who played before has a love for his server
*Already interacts with the community so others can see him as equal, not someone higher
*Prevents boredom

Shouldn't:
*Give his "legit" gears or levels
*Give his "legit" exclusive stuff
*Make items that powerup his class only
*Create imbalance to make his class more powerful in anyway
*Say he is a GM to get a higher position

Overall, some servers do not allow GMs to have legits because players will end up thinking they are corrupt, but GM having legits actually brings server benefits, and it is impossible to prevent not gaining rare cards as a GM without unlegitfying your character, mostly, you will get rare stuff without even trying (This is the usual case for me, except LoVing Amatsu Hydras), so while a GM is killing garm w. his legit to get an ice falchion, card drops and corruption rumors may spread, hell, most of the rare cards i've gotten (Raydrik and Khalitzburg at 0.4% and Clock at 0.02%) was when I was collecting eluminiums, rare stuff pops up at random, so for most people they will think either luck or corruption, but the harder to get the items, the more people will think they are corrupt
ライテ‐エクス

Allie

Quote from: Edan the Man on Apr 18, 2009, 08:11 PM
Do I think GMs should be allowed legit accounts? I think its best if they have legit accounts, if I was in charge of any server I would say its even required.

The way I see it, the best way for a GM to know and fully understand a community, is to be a part of that community, and have first hand knowledge of whats going on in the game from a player's perspective.

A person who doesn't actually play the server he/she is GMing will never have the knowledge and understanding of one who's involved on a real character.

I agree.

I think it is necessary for GMs to get to know the community and mingle with them. That way, they can see the player's interests and it will actually help the server.

However, I don't think any GM should be close personally to another player. It causes drama, scandals and suspicions.

InsurGensuji

Debating on the server style. There has been some servers I was a GM and had legits. Though we had it known th the player base GMs could not @item/#item or trade/open shops. Though I am now trying to run my own server, I took a step back from playing and just wanted a server friends and others could come to without wondering if GMs had "legits". If I ever do decide to make a legit Screenshotting everything important aswell as willing to show logs to prove legitness.

Hutchy

Quote from: InsurGensuji on Apr 22, 2009, 06:40 PM
Debating on the server style. There has been some servers I was a GM and had legits. Though we had it known th the player base GMs could not @item/#item or trade/open shops. Though I am now trying to run my own server, I took a step back from playing and just wanted a server friends and others could come to without wondering if GMs had "legits". If I ever do decide to make a legit Screenshotting everything important aswell as willing to show logs to prove legitness.

They will only accuse you of fabricating evidence. It's a futile effort, sad to say, but people will believe what they want to believe, even in the face of whatever proves them wrong.

Ontopic: I'm indifferent.

Descent

RO players are stupid.

If you're a staffer playing a completely legit character, you're corrupt.
If you're a strong player, you must be hacked, and the staff is still corrupt.
If the Admin bans somebody for being a moron and generally pissing everybody off, that Admin is corrupt.

Blame never falls on the idiots who start trouble in the first place.

LiteX

Quote from: Descent on Apr 22, 2009, 07:25 PM
RO players are stupid.

If you're a staffer playing a completely legit character, you're corrupt.
If you're a strong player, you must be hacked, and the staff is still corrupt.
If the Admin bans somebody for being a moron and generally pissing everybody off, that Admin is corrupt.

Blame never falls on the idiots who start trouble in the first place.

Some of truth goes there, not much but still.
The most common definition of "illegit corruption" is giving benefits to your legit by using @commands that normal players don't have, but for some, it simply means "playing RO if you have a GM account".

The strong player one I agree, if you checked the guide section you might noticed that I do alot of effect stacking covering only 1 point (Pretty much its "Water defense and screw rest" or "Fire defense and screw rest!"), then, when I get Marse, Saphien's Unfrozen Armor, and a lot of mdef crap and someone uses a water magic doing low as heck damage, they wii either:
1) Be smart and use JT
2) Call me a noob for using "cheap tricks" (To make it more wtf, the dude that did it switched to his gfist champ after I killed him)
3) Accuse me of haxing illegit stats

And I totally agree if an admin bans someone for being a moronic idiot, and even though, the mass corruption of some admins also help fuel this (Players will end up stay alert for any sign of corruption), I wonder if it's the human average intelligence, or RO Players that are becoming ignorants
ライテ‐エクス

Descent

Quote from: LiteX on Apr 23, 2009, 03:26 AM
And I totally agree if an admin bans someone for being a moronic idiot, and even though, the mass corruption of some admins also help fuel this (Players will end up stay alert for any sign of corruption), I wonder if it's the human average intelligence, or RO Players that are becoming ignorants

It's the general ignorance of the kids who still play this game. A lot of them who play are most likely still in diapers.

Two years ago, I could join a new HR, go into PVP about 50-60 Lvs below "Max"(255 being the max, usually), and clear a PVP room. It usually generated a good amount of respect mixed with fear mixed with hate.

NOW, if I were to do the same thing, since Admins just seem to get younger and younger, I'd be banned for "haxing".