Tips for building my RG

Started by BloodVerge, May 23, 2013, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodVerge

I play on a low rate server, just wanna get some ideas about Royal Guard builds. It's my first try on the swordsman class, so I don't know a lot about melee builds. Please post some tips that will work on low rate servers. Thanks.

Sarin

Well, in my experience Overbrand build works quite well. Base stats: STR max, VIT DEX 100, rest AGI. Skills:
Sword Mastery   Level    10   
Increase Recuperative Power   Level    10   
Bash   Level    10   
Provoke   Level    5   
Magnum Break   Level    4   
Endure   Level    10   
Moving HP Recovery   Level    1   Quest Skill
Fatal Blow   Level    1   Quest Skill
Auto Berserk   Level    1   Quest Skill
Spear Mastery   Level    10   
Riding   Level    1   
Cavalry Mastery   Level    5   
Faith   Level    10   
Auto Guard   Level    10   
Shield Charge   Level    3   
Shield Boomerang   Level    5   
Reflect Shield   Level    5   
Defender   Level    5   
Spear Quicken   Level    10   
Shrink   Level    1   Quest Skill
Banishing Point   Level    10   
Trample   Level    3   
Shield Press   Level    3   
Reflect Damage   Level    5   
Pinpoint Attack   Level    1   
Force of Vanguard   Level    5   
Rage Burst   Level    1   
Shield Spell   Level    1   
Exceed Break   Level    5   
Over Brand   Level    5   
Prestige   Level    5   
Moon Slasher   Level    3   
Earth Drive   Level    2   

You have 5 leftover skill points in paladin, either use them for shield chain or pressure.

Gear is made to maximize damage, depending on your possibilities. Take care to use shield with as high defense as possible, either Cross Shield or Rosa Shield. Shield Spell lvl 1 can give you buff that increases your ATK based on shield defense. Using this build is simple, Over Brand+Exceed break for melee (cast Exceed break first, use OB then poke your enemy with normal melee attack when overbrand is in cooldown to trigger exceed break), Banishing point for ranged damage, Pinpoint attack for breaking enemy gear and generally messing with statuses.

BloodVerge

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'll just use this build, seems like the offensive style will work for me. Though I want to know about other builds too, such as Genesis Ray/MATK builds or even support ones. Just for the sake of curiosity /ok

KeithXFormerX7

I don't prefer or recommend exceed break since its like useless crap since it only gives high dmg for 1 hit, I prefer replacing vanguard force, r.burst, prestige, shield chain, with Martyr's Reckoning,Inspiration and Genesis Ray
And Sacrifce(devotin)

Sarin

MR is absolute crap for renewal, Inspiration is unreliable as it lasts short time, have huge cooldown, and you spend half of its duration rebuffing, plus it has huge list of prerequisites, and Genesis requires STR+INT build and either banding or inspiration active, making its use limited unless you are 24/7 teamed with another RG. On the other hand, Vanguard is worth it just because of hp boost while active and prestige is important defensive skill.

KeithXFormerX7

Yeah I know inspiration is having a big cooldown, but in renewal in official, it will be hard to get reduction cards, and many arenstill using MR, that means its not crap, and useful when there are many in agi up rate, and if you don't like MR, let me see how u don't deal high dmg, unless if you have inca or thanatos, you'll take back what you say about MR, and when inspi is cooldowned right now, use martyrs reckoning as its a good alternative for genesis ray, and I had too reduce 5 points from VP, but VP is still useful so I need to have max lvl VP, even without vanguard force, unless you have HP increasing equips, its a good skill than RS

Sarin

Pulling offics is worst thing you can do. A lot of people use MR there simply because their RG is made from MR pala. But with Renewal, MR is no longer affected by % mods like hydra card, so its damage is stuck on pure 9% of RG's hitpoints per hit ignoring the DEF, but still reduced by thara, raydric and similar.

Overbrand can easily outdamage MR, especially with battleground spear that bypasses part of target's DEF. And renewal DEF isn't that big deal anyway, even with assu on, most people fall between 30-50% reduction at best.

KeithXFormerX7

I had MR because I could use it alternatively, when I MPV with MVP's with agi up rate, I could hit them, and yes Overbrand outruns Martyr's Reckoning and I test itout in some servers, still some dmg increasing cards still effects MR, i m currently in myRO, dmg increasing cards still affects it also I have 1 question, which is better?, Vanishing Point or Martyr's Reckoning?, also I had vanguard to increase HP

Sarin

If you're using Overbrand, VP is better to complement it as it's ranged, so SW won't completely block you out.

KeithXFormerX7

Whas SW?? And this will start craptalks of building an RG XD!!!!

KeithXFormerX7

Made tha craptalk part so we can LOL out XD

rosasiva

great debate ( : because this i know what must i choose and combine for my RG skill thx @sarin and @KeithXFormerX7 ...i just start begin to play RG STR VIT INT build (: and i will make an experiment....

[edit by Triper: let's stick to the topic and not advertise websites]

Astraeos

Depends what you want your RG to do. They can either be built in a pretty specific fashion or general one and still be very strong.

Eisengrad

I've last played on a low rate server too with a OB(Overbrand) royal guard and stopped at lvl130.

104 Str
50 Agi
80 Vit
1 Int
100 Dex
1Luk

Most important is Str and Dex, then comes vit and if you got all up there then comes agi.

Get either a 2-handed spear(double damage with holy cross) or 1-handed spear with shield(better for lategame)
and simply get your dex and str up so you can overbrand properly.

It works usually like this: Go on any map, activate Endure skill, gather a pile of mobs, stand 1-3 fields in front of them and use overbrand(If possible try to push them against a wall for extra damage). If hit against a wall or not, usually 1-2 overbrands are enough to clear a wave.
Once you get to lvl1XX+ you can try to go to the magma dungeon F2 and kill the mobs there. You can level there efficiently till 130 and still further up, it's a great farming spot for some cash too once you got the hang of it and the best thing is that a card that help you level there further is also dropped there! Think it was the earth deleter one, it gives you 10 sp each time you kill an enemy with a skill.

Overbrand is strong but a mana eater. So if you equip this card and kill 6 monsters with one OB you gain your full mana back and if you kill even more with 1 OB(which is likely) then you don't just never run out of mana but you can also heal your mana back up and theoretically stay on the map infinitely long to level there(though it's probably still smarter to go back once in a while for depositing and perhaps getting some buffs in from a priest.

Agi up makes the leveling there 10-folds easier so either get a priest/NPC to buff you or farm authoritative badges from Sohee in Payon dungeon F4.

For skills you definitely want:

Spear Mastery 10  => Massive damage increase with spears!
Chivalry + Riding Max.   => More damage with spears!
Spear Quicken lvl10 => More damage with Overbrand(Don't need to activate skill for the extra damage, just put skillpoints into it)
Endure lvl10 => Bread and Butter for every tank class trying to mob without destroying your PC out of rage
Bash lvl5(-10) =>lvl10 is optional. You won't be needing this skill later on anymore unless for the 30% extra damage per bash-level on pinpoint attack.
Holy Cross lvl10(only if 2-handed spear) => Best single-target spell until almost the end of your training and deals double damage to wraiths/evil druids/dark priests/nifflheim enemies for decent lvling. Also helps killing off annoying leftover enemies in magma dungeon(together with earth deleter card only consumes 10SP per strike for 8-16k damage!)
Magnum Break lvl10 => Absolute must. Best AoE you have(cause it's fire property) until you get overbrand. Use it to level at Sandman and later Sleepers. Just pile 5-30 of them on one spot, magnum break them once, move back a bit until the delay is gone, then magnum break again. 2-3 magnum breaks are enough for one pile of enemies.
Provoke => lvl10 Must for WoE, reduces enemy tanks 55% def and cancels enemies casts!
HP recovery => lvl10

Good leveling spots with overbrand early on with RG are Nifflheim Field 1, Endure > gather all mobs then OB. Then Magma dungeon F2, Endure > gather all mobs then OB.
Abbey Lake is another option but magma dungeon F2 has so many mobs that if you kill a bunch of them at once you gain more exp than if you had killed a bunch of dragons. Unless you got equip against dragons I would still recommend magma dungeon over this.
Lastly you'll want to go to the Scaraba Hole but I haven't yet figured out myself how to properly level there.
I assume you'll be spamming Banishing point for high single target damage but that drains immense mana.