Word Filtering used for something good.

Started by SilverStream~, Jul 01, 2009, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverStream~

I suggest some new word filters are added.

One of them that I can think of is maybe not needed, but perhaps it can do something good.

Changing "pls" and "plz" to "please" seems good in my eyes.  It's very tough on the eyes to be reading through amounts of leetspreak with "pls" in them.

Changing other shortened words into the proper could be a possibility aswell.  It would also help new members who are not as um.. good in english as others, that type in this leetspreak, to get more respect or understanding from the other forum members.
Normaly when a post is written by for example someone who talks tagalog and not much english it often contains a very large amount of leetspreak, so changing words would make the post more proper.

What do you think?

Btw I also realise that this might be a long list.  But you can't really not get a big list if you only change "pls".  Users can submit their words that they think should be changed to "proper" words, and they can be evaluated and perhaps put in the filter list. (using this topic).
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Relics

It'd be hypocritical of me to say I'm not bothered by seeing 'plz and pls', but there's no point in trying to correct everyone in the world.

With that said, if it's possible to have a word filter, I wouldn't mind having one either.

SilverStream~

It's just to go into the admin settings of the forum, and add a new word to the word filter list, and a new changed word.

It's a list that you just click add on, then type in the left box "pls", and in the right box "please".

pls > please

That's how it looks like in the list, and it's really really easy.  It's like.. posting.  But easier.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Relics

Yeah, I've seen it before in control panels.. but apart from pls, what else?

Zelos

"r" to "are", "u" to "you".

Green

Quote from: Yumi on Jul 01, 2009, 09:57 PM
"r" to "are", "u" to "you".

Becayouse that woyould actyoually woarek. =\

LemonCrosswalk

As annoying as it is, and how much I want to strangle people that speak like that, I don't think the word filter would be wise. when some1 talks like this its a red flag 4 ppl 2 not take them srsly

SilverStream~

Well atleast some words.

u and y can't be changed, because they are too commonly used.

But like, "ur" is a good one.  I can only remember using ur for.. ur... uuh.. yeah.

plx, pls, plox, plix, plz, plllz, are so far the best ones though ._.

Here's another one:

srvr > server

Green

"ur" still appears commonly enough in legit words to present a problem, I think?

SilverStream~

Well if you don't put it with wildcards it shouldn't be a problem.

Wildcards btw are similarity functions in the word filter;

If you want to filter ass then you can put ass > donkey.

But that's without wildcards.  I'm not entirely sure but I think smf forums wildcard automaticly, but I'm not sure.

With wildcards it would be like this; *ass* > donkey
The * is the wildcard, so that you can't type "asshole" for example. Fyi, if you try to, it comes out as a******[/b]

All these words I've typed are filtered by the rms forums too actually.

Hutchy

The donkey thing is really annoying, imo. I can say **** in the shoutbox, but not donkey? Come on now.

I think this'd be a good idea... but then... what would the grammar/spelling nazi-folk do? They'd be out of a job. Err... they'd have nothing to waste time with. :<

I wonder if there's a way to limit the amount of consonants people use. I hate when people use unnecessary f*** consonants. "Yayyyyyyyyyyy I'm onnnn a forummmmm!!!"

A92FL0163

QuoteBecayouse that woyould actyoually woarek. =\
I can't pass this test, I'll probably be assigned to the assassination chamber.

SilverStream~

Actually Hutchy you can say dick and ass everywhere.  But my point is more.. general then certain words perhaps.

Making more words filtered, not only bad words, but commonly miss-spelled words like ur and wat.  Maybe not wat because people have fun with that, but you get the idea.  And no need for a huge list either actually.  A post here and there would suffice imo.

Imo's another one actually.

imo > in my opinion

DeePee

Filtered words being used in other words can probably quite easily be fixed. Just enter [space]wordhere[/space], so it will only trigger if that word is used separately and is not part of some other word.

A92FL0163