Why? Just, why?

Started by Xeyra, May 17, 2010, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeyra

The old search filter with its options was MUCH user friendly and everything was easy to find. If anything, add same-sex marriage to the list of features that you can check. Just add it, it's STILL something people are on and off with. Not sure WHY yC or Riotblade didn't add it to the "new" search filter for private servers...

Usagimimi

I love the new lay-out. It's so much more developped; the MVP Cards was something I was really hoping for, and now it's finally here.

Maybe add the Same-Sex thing, but it's not that important. Not like MVP Cards, Quest Rate, etc.

Good job yC / Riotblade.

Yukino

I do like the new features--helps simplify searches when people want specific server features and such. I don't like the new design as much, but it's a good change XD. Maybe add in some of the missing features that the old layout had? (Marriage details and whatnot) Good job for editing the website though. I hope to see that the forum may look better (though it's sort of okay right now anyways)!
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

Xeyra

Obviously it was important enough in the old layout to include it so that's not the issue now. I practically use it daily to search for new servers that offer same-sex marriage on their server. So basically there's no reason NOT to implemented in the new layout since it was already in the old layout. Or is there a special reason yC or Riotblade left it out? An explanation would be expected if there was some conflict.

yC

It was just my observation that in every fake server listing ever came up, all the features were checked except same-sex marriage.  Then I think, hmm is this some religious thing that people hate?  I didn't think it was such an important feature.  When marriage system became the norms, I have plan to remove those 2 already.  Is it a feature for dual-clienter or what's the good on this one?  

Adding it back isn't hard except

1) It will be ugly going at the end of the list because the feature list is bit-wise now, cannot just put it in between without more complicated work.  

2)  Previous feature list was wiped in the upgrade, while all transferable features were transferred.  I might not be able to get the old ss-marriage feature selected value.  I could try to see if it's possible to get the value back from a backup table.  Not sure atm.

While we are at the feature list, anything else to suggest?

Xeyra

It tells a lot about the server and what their standards are. Especially the administrator/owner of the server. Most of the time, the professionalism of the server is related to allowing or not allowing same-sex marriage too.

Whether a server has the marriage and same-sex marriage features or not is a feature worth listing on the search filters. Some servers don't even allow marriage at all. It's important to some of us. Especially those that play low-rate servers who require Soul Linker buffs and Ka buffs to level (Sage, Scholar). Knowing if a server allows marriage AND same-sex marriage is just like knowing if a server has a healer that buffs. It is an in-game feature after all. I don't any good reason NOT to add such search filters.

Usagimimi

95% of servers offer some sort of marriage.

Add dual-client to the features list :D

Xeyra

Quote from: Yusifer on May 18, 2010, 04:16 PM

12.59% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Usagimimi

Quote from: Xeyra on May 18, 2010, 05:08 PM

Never played or seen a server that has disallowed marriage in my almost four years of playing and hardcore searching of servers. I've played around 25 MRs and contemplated playing many, many more, including LRs and HRs. They all had the marriage system. Some didn't have Same-Sex or Adoption, but Marriage was always there.

5% is for servers who are old and don't have the script / are nub and I didn't see'em >>

Xeyra

Quote from: Yusifer on May 18, 2010, 05:32 PM
Quote from: Xeyra on May 18, 2010, 05:08 PM

Never played or seen a server that has disallowed marriage in my almost four years of playing and hardcore searching of servers. I've played around 25 MRs and contemplated playing many, many more, including LRs and HRs. They all had the marriage system. Some didn't have Same-Sex or Adoption, but Marriage was always there.

5% is for servers who are old and don't have the script / are nub and I didn't see'em >>

=P Probably because you missed the pure/semi PvP servers that are balanced purely for PvP. Kind of like MyRO.

Pandora

Yusifer's right, most servers have marriage, I wouldn't venture an actual %, but I've never before seen a server that didn't have it, reason probably being it comes by default with eAthena XD

All of the above can't hurt:
marriage
same-sex marriage
dual clienting
Adoption (or access to baby class)

And now that we have a population median, would be nice to be able to search for population between x and y.

In general I like the change that were made, good work.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

yC

Adoption is not the norms these days?  Hmm, I really thought server that is default in eAthena has it like marriage so it's rarely left out.  It's not?

The survey information, can be unreliable when there is only a few samples that did the reviews.  A search on them can be misleading until the searcher reads how many reviews were the result based on.  So I didn't include them in search.  I want to minimize the abuse on them by making them not counted in any search or ranking.  The information should help to present a better picture of the server on the server information page and nothing else.  At the moment, I am observing if the stats are far off from actual or they do have some base to the actual.

Pandora

Yeah adoption is pretty standard now, as marriage, but same sex marriage is less common since the official eathena script doesnt include it.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

yC

ah I see Pandora.  I am looking for some more feature suggestion so I can add a few at once while we are at this.  Any other suggestion?

Also, is there another term for "same sex marriage"?  Just wondering what sounds better.

Usagimimi

Homosexual Marriage >_>?

I think Same-Sex is the most appropriate lol o.o or mono-sexual marriage.. though that term doesn't exist XD