suggestion of WIN

Started by Kissa, Jun 26, 2010, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kissa

I'd like to suggest archive sections made. All posts made and ended in 2007 would go in the 2007 archive, where everything in that archive is viewable by everyone but no one can post. Thus avoiding situations like we had recently with the 2+ year necro post. This isn't hard to do, and though somewhat time consuming it's not like everything would have to be archived in one day. Right now, to be honest, your forums look messy and unprofessional. There is really no reason why a newbie should be able to wander in and necro post a post last commented on in 2007.

Relics

Kissa

Shuush Relics no one asked you xD
You know it's a good suggestion, you even agreed with me on msn that it was a good suggestion a few days ago, you're just saying no cause you know you're prolly the one that's gunna end up archiving everything since you're the most active on the forums.

Relics

then it's a good reason for me to say no.. now is it xd

Kissa

Pft no it isn't. Stop being lazy, put your cube down and archive a few posts. Like I said, it doesn't have to be archived over night. Especially if the task would be left up to only one person.

Aside from simply being too lazy to take the time to archive things there is really no good reason for this suggestion to be shot down. And in all honesty if this suggestion is shot down because the staff is too lazy to archive things that really doesn't make the staff look very good.

LemonCrosswalk

Hell, change it to a year. You can't change the stupidity of people, you just make sure they CAN'T be stupid. If they want to refer to something over a year old, they can always just make a new post and refer to the archived one in a link.

Kissa

Disclaimer: I'm generalizing and saying how it would come across to other ppl. I know you aren't lazy Relics, considering how much you have  on your plate on a day to day basis you still  manage to be the most active staff on the forums. You know I love ya boo  :o

That being said, even if archiving is too much work for you guys than maybe locking dead topics would  be a good idea. I still say that someone being able to necro post a thread from 2007 is ridiculous.

~Minstrel~

hmm I thought people reply to 06-09 post in the recruitment section seems there was alot of old post people were posting in. But days back i saw another old topic being answered ::)

Tom~

This is a good idea. Just today we've had two necro'd threads, one being the biggest necro i've ever seen <.<

/support

And so you killed yourself,
but you killed everyone else around you too.

Kaezar

I don't even know why people overreact to necro'd threads.

It's not as if RMS gets 100 new posts a day.

Green

Because we like being right.
Publicly and loudly.

Kissa

Nice to see that yc was online and failed miserably at responding to this thread.

yC

Relics have answered you the same way that I would like to answer.  He's a staff after all and his answer should deserve the authority in this case when you think I simply ignored your topic.

There might be good reason to reply to a topic that is considered "old", depend on what is being brought up and is it worth the talking again.  More important discussion will get ahead of any bumped topics as more posts are created for the discussion.  If there's meaningless bump we should get report on them and the post would be deleted while the topic can go back to rest.  We are not having problem with necro at this state, it's the daily routine of any forum.

Kissa

Quote from: yC on Jun 28, 2010, 11:04 PM
Relics have answered you the same way that I would like to answer.  He's a staff after all and his answer should deserve the authority in this case when you think I simply ignored your topic.

There might be good reason to reply to a topic that is considered "old", depend on what is being brought up and is it worth the talking again.  More important discussion will get ahead of any bumped topics as more posts are created for the discussion.  If there's meaningless bump we should get report on them and the post would be deleted while the topic can go back to rest.  We are not having problem with necro at this state, it's the daily routine of any forum.

Funny cause I've talked to Relics since than on msn and he thinks that if anything autolocking old topics would be a good idea. Furthermore if some topics are ok to be necroed, excuse my language, but than why the hell is necro posting against forum rules? And really? No problem with necro posting lately? Guess you just never saw it because Relics took care of it when you weren't online. Ppl haven't been mentioning 2+ year old necro posts for the fun of it, it's because it's been happening.

edit: in case you missed the jump in dates on this post... pay attention to the dates :P http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/general-chit-chat/lets-talk-about-the-world-cup/msg111052/#new

GorthexTiger

Quote from: Green on Jun 27, 2010, 11:57 AM
Because we like being right.
Publicly and loudly.

No, GREEEN. God DAMN IT. How can you NOT remember to mention that by doing such, it also boosts our pseudo intellectual penises?

Jesus, get it RIGHT. Pppffftttt.

To be honest, I think it'd just be easier to turn on a setting somewhere in SMF where it auto locks the topic after a month or two. Done deal and no more necro, kapeeche?
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3