Shoutbox; Recruiting; Server Advertisement Section Restriction!

Started by Zone, Dec 26, 2009, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you support this suggestion?

Yes
12 (92.3%)
No
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Zone

I'm getting really tired of these people spamming their applications everywhere, people making multiple threads for their recruiting, and server advertisements.

I'd like to see a post requirement for being able to post in those section, reply and new topic, as well as a restriction of not being able to view the recruitment section until you have made a certain amount of posts.

Why restrict viewing? Because then someone can go to your site and spam the hell out of your site with applications, or your email, msn, etc. I'm sure all servers recruiting would like people who have knowledge, common sense, intelligence and talent.

How does this prove they have knowledge, common sense, intelligence, and talent?
Well, it doesn't prove they have talent, but that's not to say they can't learn, and of course they want talent.
However, knowledge, intelligence and common sense can be proven by posting worthy posts and topics.
If they have those, then the recruiters can go through and see exactly how much those people know and if they have the intelligence/common sense to put their knowledge to good use.

Granted, it's not our job to filter them out, but the s*** gets annoying as hell when you see people who don't have enough intelligence to even read a post saying don't contact me here, or the common sense that you aren't going to have over 9000 people wanting to hire you when you posted an application yesterday and bumped it twice, one 4 seconds after the first bump.

I'm not asking for good English, just that we set some kinda standard.

Another benefit is that people can't spam new accounts to say "oh ya dis gy iz gud gm" for themselves, and their friends can't just make accounts for doing just that. They can't spam applications under different names.

I also would like to see that people can't post in the shout box until they've reached a certain amount of posts. For the same reasons as those above. Spamming. As well as not being able to post in the advertisement section until they reach a certain post count. So they can't just make an account to advertise and spam the ad all over.

Overall, this will cut back on the bull crap the staff here have to deal with.
Except for those who want to spam to get that post count. Then the staff should just delete those posts, and hand out warnings/mutes or whatever. Of course, there will be those who put ads in other places anyways, in which case they'd be deleted and warned/muted.

Pros: Save the F5 key from evil fingers!!!
A better way to ensure quality in applicants, and quality servers are being shown longer and not being clotted by people who have less intelligence and common sense than a chimpanzee.
Users are given a grace period to understand how RMS works. They see how other servers advertise, consequences for such actions, etc.

Cons: Less refreshes, so less hits, so less money you get for those hits.

Relics

Guess I'm going to support this suggestion.

The application spam, server ad spam.. and everything is slowly starting to grind my gears.
Not only do I have to clean this up everytime, I also have to deal with their bad reasoning through PMs.

Zone

GorthexTiger

/fullsupport

It helps me not have to find someone who translate my blunt words into whatever language of fail they speak.

Excuse me, how do I translate to them "stfu, lose my MSN jump off a cliff, shoot yourself in the head, and I hope the seagulls pick at your brain?"
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

Xarale

You've got my support.

Judging by various posts we've removed over the past few months, It seems around 50% of applicants in the recruitment section don't bother to even read the thread they're actually applying for.  Instead they just mindlessly spam their copy-pasta application into as many threads as possible.  A system like this wouldn't completely stop these type of applicants showing up, but it will no doubt lessen their numbers.

It'd no doubt help reduce the amount of advertising in the Shoutbox too.

Squishy

yespls

It all annoys the hell out of me and makes me wonder about humanity for the millionth time.

/support

yC

Judging from what the people post to get the 10 minimum post count in order to post in the server seeker section, I have to say the requirement is half fail.  I even have to add in a "we will delete your account condition" not long ago (http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/server-seeking/you-must-have-at-least-10-posts-make-a-reply/0/) to the sectional rule to save me & my staff the time to clean up the mess after they spammed their 10 posts then spam the seeker section.

Now, I have to ask why anyone think a minimum post count will solve the problem ... I think it has equal if not more chance to create more problem.  It's a way to encourage those that don't read the rule to spam until they get what they want while adding an obstacle for those that read the rule from actually doing something worthy.

Same thing for shout box,

QuoteI also would like to see that people can't post in the shout box until they've reached a certain amount of posts.

Again ... the certain amount of posts will be spam to begin with.  For example, if someone wants to spam the shout box to advertise his/her server but they found out they need to make 10 posts in order to shout.  What make you think the person will make 10 informational and educational posts rather than 10 posts that advertise his/her server ... I think the latter is more likely.

This suggestion does not stop the amount of spam or stop those from posting the wrong thing in the wrong section imo.  We need a solution that will lower the amount of useless/spam posts, not a solution to create more.

For not being able to view the recruitment section, same thing.

QuoteWhy restrict viewing? Because then someone can go to your site and spam the hell out of your site with applications, or your email, msn, etc.

Plus, you have the choice to post which way you prefer contact.  The choice is up to you.  Or simply don't use the section for recruitment if you don't want to be bothered.  The requirement need your server name, you can ask for pm or post your contact.  Of course you wouldn't want to post your email/msn if you don't want to get spam.  If you posted it then why complain when application comes.

I welcome a suggestion to reduce the amount of spam/useless posts in this forum, but this solution/suggestion could potentially create more spam than we are currently dealing with.

I think adding a minimum character/letter requirement for each post is a better solution in reducing the amount of useless one-liner posts from both new and long time members.  Posts that give a simple answer such as yes or no with no attempt to back up the opinion is equally annoying.

However, I haven't looked into the possibility of doing that.  

Zone

how about a 50 post requirement then?
If they continue, then skip the account deletion and go to straight IP banning.
Spam will continue, yes. But they will spam only sections they have access to.
And that'd just re-enforce their IP banning.

Final

Quote from: Zone on Dec 27, 2009, 08:58 PM
how about a 50 post requirement then?
If they continue, then skip the account deletion and go to straight IP banning.
Spam will continue, yes. But they will spam only sections they have access to.
And that'd just re-enforce their IP banning.
Idk but if you did make it something a little higher like 50 posts then perhaps you could set it up so that if a certain amount of posts are reached within a certain time frame that the account be muted/deleted.whatever

Ah, fun times on RMS~ http://www.paste-it.net/private/u6c168b/   (Added more~)
-- Signature too big again.  You were notified previously on the same issue.

- So? Stop b****.

Zone

spam detection, post limitation.
You can't post more than  once every 5 minutes or something.

Green

But I only post in bunches. 5 minutes would make me post once, and go away, because I don't like to wait.

And 50 is harder than you think. Considering the base of RMS is the database, and a place for servers to let other's know about them, 50 posts to advertise a server is harsh, especially if the server is starting out, and hence, needs the advertising the most.
Not to mention, 50 outside the general chat... It will make spam, even with a posting cooldown, simply due to the "quality" of the posts.

I think the 10 would be good. Not only is it a restriction, and one short enough on the poster, but it's also enough time for the rest of us to be able to gauge what the poster is like, and take that into account with any recruiting/server advertising we might be paying attention to.

Zone

Well, 50 posts or 10 posts with a 5 minute wait period between posts.
Until they get to atleast 50 posts.

The big reason to keep it at that is because that gives people time to read the rules and understand the rules as well as how the community works.
Either some form of moderation queue is needed for posts in server ads and recruitment, like an approval system.
But then you've got those damn morons who spam even more wondering why their post isn't going through. Hence the 5 minute wait period between posts.

Then shoutbox needs the requirement that people cannot post until they have a set number of posts.

Final

Quote from: Zone on Dec 27, 2009, 11:52 PM
Well, 50 posts or 10 posts with a 5 minute wait period between posts.
Until they get to atleast 50 posts.

The big reason to keep it at that is because that gives people time to read the rules and understand the rules as well as how the community works.
Either some form of moderation queue is needed for posts in server ads and recruitment, like an approval system.
But then you've got those damn morons who spam even more wondering why their post isn't going through. Hence the 5 minute wait period between posts.

Then shoutbox needs the requirement that people cannot post until they have a set number of posts.
If it were set up so that until you receive a certain amount of 'legit' posts there would be restrictions on what you could do would help out a lot.  And of course after you meet the limit you get full access to say, all the sections and the shoutbox.  Now I know that is basically what it is now, but what you have now is just not enough to help.  The wait period idea is quite a good idea.  As you see in many forums they have the flood limit thingy (I forgot the name lol).  Now that does help a little bit by limiting spam.  Idk but it's always a nice idea.

I 100% agree with Zone in this idea especially that shoutbox.  So many times do you see some douche go post 5 times in a row "THIS SERVER GUD JOIN NOW!!".  It's so annoying.  The shoutbox is just an add on and not really the most important thing,  It could definitely use some work.  Like making it so you must have like...30 posts before you can 'shout' in it.  I guess in the end it's all about limiting the ways someone can spam instantly...

- So? Stop b****.

Zone

Green

Quote from: Zone on Dec 27, 2009, 11:52 PM

If only post count was an indication of rule reading ability.

Zone

It is, if they are active in the community :P
That or they are just complete idiots and need to have their internet privileges pulled.
Send em back to 1st grade where you are taught to read the rules.
When I first came here, I spammed a s*** ton too.
About some dude who called Debbie a pedophile in a review.
Saying to take that s*** off.
Then I didn't come back for a fairly long time, and became a regular here, and understood how the community *was*.
However, the community is changing, the rules have changed a little, but it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to read the rules and formats.

yC

What I might want to try is, only show shout box when you have 10 (or 20 or something less than 50, imo 50 is way too much) or more posts.  Implementing that might be a problem for me since if the shout box comes with the option we would have tried it when there was that big argument months ago when taking away the shout box due to ad/troll and what not.

LemonCrosswalk

50 is just enough. The shout box is a good ol' boys club.

tracer

I disagree, RMS should enforce Nazi forum standards.

Shoutbox should have a post restriction of about 100 and everytime you post a message, you will be prompt with a list of rules to abide by.

We should have a council of 10 people who are given the ability to ban. Only if a decision is reach by the majority of the council.

Anyone who can't read english will be terminated from RMS and be send to their respective language sections.

RMS will have a extremely sexy logo that people will recognize even after 60 years in remembrance of the person who suggested this.

Anyone who doesn't speak English properly will be slam with English test regarding internet grammar for dummies and how to 1337 spell.

If anyone isn't atleast 13 years old or if your ethnicity, religion, server, and gender conflicts with RMS's moral and approval standards, you will be redirected a section of the forums where a staff will personally approval your forum account.

RMS will have a long list of filtered words, that would be considered a danger to the forum,  staff, and its members.

RMS will have a team of super hero moderator who will cook threads in till they are medium rare and then closes it. (Xarale Basics 101)

The supreme ruler of the forum will be yC, and every word from yC is law.

Our salute is our indication that we agree with the topic poster's ideas and will carry them out.

We will attack a neighboring forum and steal their resources, conduct experiencments on their forum members, attack and otherwise behea.... oh wait those are Japanese Forum Standards.

All forum functions required that you obtain a license, through a 10 page application of your use for said function.

If you don't intend on playing a RO server, your forum presence is meaningless and you should commit Seppuku. Whoops Japanese Forum Standards again!

Signatures should only be quotes from the staff and have atleast one from yC.

All avatars should in some way represent your delication to the forum.

Yeah, I guess we should go with Zone's idea since its similar to mines. :\
Quote from: Final on Nov 29, 2009, 04:58 AM
Skills aren't exactly needed to run a server however they are good to run an excellent server.
Close your eyes and smash your keyboard. You're doing just fine.
Quote from: Final on Dec 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Quote from: tracer on Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
Quote from: Ironic on Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Temjin - Seems like anything that comes out of your mouth is a swing at somebody here.
4444 Quotes.

Zone

yC

so what now? are we done discussion?

I am thinking 25 posts or less for the shout box.  No club thing please.  Subject to technical difficulties, I looked and it seems I can make it work.

Zone

25 for shoutbox I agree with.
All in flavour say Cake.

Final

Quote from: Zone on Dec 30, 2009, 02:53 PM
25 for shoutbox I agree with.
All in flavour say Cake.
Flavour?  What kind of flavour?

CAKE!

(Random...)

- So? Stop b****.

yC

okay, anyone notice any difference?

anyone with a "sister"/"brother" account with less than 25 posts? 

Let me know if anything goes weird.

Wikebine

this means i'll actually have to post now? that sucks.

EDIT:<sarcasm> buying account with 25 posts </sarcasm>
You seem kinda mad. Why are you mad? You seem really mad, but I'm not quite sure why. Could you explain your anger using logical means? What legitimate reason do you have for being mad?

yC

those that have their posts deleted, either you post the problem you encountered seriously with as much detail as possible, or just leave the topic alone.

tracer

For people with over 25 post, you won't see the chatbox after you login. However, you can see it after you made a post.

u mad? :(
Skills aren't exactly needed to run a server however they are good to run an excellent server.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
Temjin - Seems like anything that comes out of your mouth is a swing at somebody here.
4444 Quotes.

yC

So why does it make sense to have all the other posts but not one that go straight to the point?  Are people just having no life?

I'll change it to the way before until i take a second look at it, that's what i mean by "Subject to technical difficulties" up there.  Obviously i didn't make the shout box and I didn't make the forum.  If the shout box doesn't come with the feature it isn't just a click away to make it work the way someone wants it.

tracer

You really don't have to go through all that problem tho. The chatbox is fine, unless you find the users of the chatbox a problem, then you should just take the whole thing down.

Mostly, its used for drama and advertising, aside from that we also have random chat, but thats about it.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
4444 Quotes.

Zone

Final

I mean..It's just the first day..but so far...There hasn't been anything to stupid in the shoutbox...

- So? Stop b****.

Revenant

Honestly, shoutbox/chat boxes usually just encourage mindless spam and take away from posting on the forums themselves. While it is argueable that people acting dumb on the shoutbox would do it in regular posts too, having to open the new post window would encourage them to think due to the time spent as opposed to one click one spam mini psuedo-chatrooms.

Not that proper chatrooms like IRC wouldn't detract from forum activity; it's seperate, whereas the shoutbox is integrated into the forums where you can't miss it (That I recently posted a question & suggestion about). Having said that, the actual IRC channel incredibly barren and soul-less...
For the love of god, people, stop posting topics about recruiting staff on this forum, or indeed any forum. If you really feel the need to publicize the fact you're incapable of running your own server, and as such, must rely on someone you know nothing about as a crutch, be prepared to deal with the consequences, as people who go deliberately looking for GM positions are most likely as dumb as the inept server owner in question, if not moreso.

People offering paid services may or may not be screwing you over, depending on the product. Web designers? There's quite a good few out there; many take time to do their work, and charge quite a bit as a result. Just be sure you're not getting someone elses' website, rebranded for quick cash. If you hire someone to do things such as install customs for you, give up running a server. You're wasting time and letting someone take advantage of your stupidity.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

yC

oh i redone it yesterday, is it still giving you guys problem?

Revenant

Does this mean it's permaneantly gone or only until you have the required posts to use it yourself?
For the love of god, people, stop posting topics about recruiting staff on this forum, or indeed any forum. If you really feel the need to publicize the fact you're incapable of running your own server, and as such, must rely on someone you know nothing about as a crutch, be prepared to deal with the consequences, as people who go deliberately looking for GM positions are most likely as dumb as the inept server owner in question, if not moreso.

People offering paid services may or may not be screwing you over, depending on the product. Web designers? There's quite a good few out there; many take time to do their work, and charge quite a bit as a result. Just be sure you're not getting someone elses' website, rebranded for quick cash. If you hire someone to do things such as install customs for you, give up running a server. You're wasting time and letting someone take advantage of your stupidity.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

Final

Quote from: Revenant on Jan 03, 2010, 02:17 PM
Does this mean it's permaneantly gone or only until you have the required posts to use it yourself?
Post I think 25 posts and you should be able to see the shoutbox.

- So? Stop b****.

mickiedeez

Quote from: Temjin on Feb 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
You are a f*** idiot. Why you even bother to post here, I will never know. It is BEYOND ME.