Review "Team": First Impressions

Started by Flip, Nov 03, 2009, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flip

tracer: Addressing your points.

1. Inconsistency with server updates/expansion: No review is consistent with the server updates since any review is simply a screenshot of the server at that time. So, I don't necessarily get what you mean with this. Staying until point X on the server versus reviewing the server at point X will result in a similar review for that point X in time. The only difference is that there's a lot more background info in staying at that server for a long time, which there should be.

2. Won't have much to say about the server: Depends on what you mean by "not much". Again, the reviews are designed for server-seeking players. These types of players will jump servers as soon as he/she/they find the server not to their liking. And, I think you'll agree with me that players will know whether they "like the feel" for the server or not during the first hours of the server. THAT is what this type of review is for, nothing more.

Again, the review is not meant to measure the full detail about the server but rather what players can expect to get during the first few hours of play; to see whether they  personally want to try the server or not.

3. 300 text comment vs full page: I personally don't believe in the 300 text reviews; a lot of it seems biased and the numbers corresponding to the words said simply do not add up more often than not. The people then who are content with the 300 text reviews are not my target. They can do as they please.

4. Mobbing the thread: The way I see the current reviews that have been posted by the team and the impressive amount of evidence they take, I personally say bring on the mobs. /gg

Thank you for your criticisms.

yC:
I feel the same way about the reviewer choosing. I don't intend to screen people, since everyone is free to review in whatever style they want without my consent. If people genuinely want to join this team, then I'd personally measure their capability by seeing them write the actual review more than anything. It's kinda like testing out GM's first by giving them level 40 powers; similar to that train of thought.

But even if it's not up to my par, they are still free to jump servers and write reviews. The only thing I won't do for them is defend their thread should any controversy come up. That's why everyone on the team lets people on the team read their reviews first before posting; everyone checks on the review before its posted.

I fully agree that reviewers should be treated equally, even outside the group. I do not intend our reviews to be more valuable than the next. The idea is simply to cater more specifically to people who are server seeking. /ok

GorthexTiger

Quote from: Flip on Nov 08, 2009, 06:47 PM
wall of text wall of text wall of text

Well, I'd be more than happy to assist in helping review servers.

I just recently applied for a few positions on eA (Global Mod / eA Support Leader) so pending those applications and whether or not I am hired, I'd be happy to assist. My own server has hit kind of a snag (there's a lot of work my co-admin has to do since I am not familiar with that subject / not knowledgable enough) so I think I will have some free time.
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

Flip

I'd be glad to receive more help. We're currently looking at the most "controversial" servers than anything else, especially the top servers. I'll pm you more details later, should you wish to review servers.

Usagimimi

It's a nice idea, but I don't think anyone who currently owns a server should take part. It could lead to hostility (Speedwagon, for example, in the BurnRO topic) and it could also lead to biased "first impressions".

That's just my opinion, though.

Flip

I once again reiterate:

Any and all reviews made by one person are seen first by the rest of the team.

That BurnRO review could've easily been made by me. I played Burn and I found Luna's review to be quite accurate.

I don't know why people really simply hate Luna; maybe its my own ignorance of the matter. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that the reviews that Luna has done has been based on evidence taking as well as subject to critical eyes.

Too much bitter blood against Luna I guess. /pif

Usagimimi

I like Luna xD I have nothing against her! We even agree most of the time when it arises lol

I'm speaking in general :P

Flip

Well then Yusifer, that suggestions does sound good in theory, but I also think its pointless for reasons yC stated; this is the Internet.

Luna, if he/she really wanted to make reviews out of "spite", could easily register another forum name and join the team. By doing so, none would really be the wiser on his/her true identity, or any server owner's for that matter.

The only thing that people cannot fake is the actual review, and that passes through everyone in the team first before even going public. That is the only security measure I can think of really in terms of keeping the team as least biased as possible.

Hmm, this might as very well be a suggestion to you Yusifer since I did review Oracle. When/If you make the rules for the server, the most important thing is that it is 100% enforce-able. Anything less makes it a pointless rule. Trust me, you'll have a lot less headaches that way.

Usagimimi

Yeah, darn that Internet :P

And our rule-enforcement has improved since your review; after the wipe, a lot of the people who generally didn't listen left. A lot of people who hated the French and the fact we went international also left lol How silly

Your review was quite accurate; so was Luna~'s in all of her reviews, and I assume the rest, too; I'm thinking moreso about people like so-called "Patapon" (I shall call him Patapouf which is French slang for "meatball") who jump at such ideas in attempt to troll or something >>

I'd join your team :P but I don't feel comfortable reviewing other servers lol

Flip

When/If you feel you're willing to try at least, let me know. /ok

Usagimimi

Quote from: Flip on Nov 11, 2009, 11:04 AM
When/If you feel you're willing to try at least, let me know. /ok

Oki; 'will do :D

Omni

Hm, I'm not sure if I quite understand what you're suggesting.

Are you saying that all reviews will first pass through a "Review Team", in order to confirm their accuracy, before being published for public viewing?

It's a good idea, in theory, but I honestly cannot see it being accepted.

If what I am interpreting is correct, the only issue I see is this:

This idea of having a "middle man" reading through reviews labeling them fit or unfit, is a bit unfair to those who created the reviews, in my opinion. It is stated that reviews may be written in any form desired.

Like I said, it's a good idea on paper, but I don't think it would produce anything positive... in terms of supporters.

[color=navy]Rates 20/20/20 | MaxLvl 200/120 | MaxStat 200 | 12 Characters per Account | ANTI-BOT | ANTI-WPE | ANTI-KS | Heavily Customized (Storylines, Quests, Items, Maps, Features) | WoE:SE | Homunculus | Mercenaries | Newest Features | Dedicated Server | Randomized WoE System | Endless Tower | Quest Log | Ragnarokrevolution.com

Final

You have the wrong idea.  A group of 'reviewers' go around and play a server for a set time then review their "First Impression" Of the server.  Before they can post it, It is supposedly looked over by said team.  I believe this is accurate.

Ah, fun times on RMS~ http://www.paste-it.net/private/u6c168b/   (Added more~)
-- Signature too big again.  You were notified previously on the same issue.

- So? Stop b****.

Omni

Quote from: Final on Nov 12, 2009, 12:32 AM
You have the wrong idea.  A group of 'reviewers' go around and play a server for a set time then review their "First Impression" Of the server.  Before they can post it, It is supposedly looked over by said team.  I believe this is accurate.

Ok, that makes sense. I was under the impression that a team deems reviews accurate or inaccurate, not the actual server. A server review team would be a good idea, if people have enough time to join the team. If such a team was formed, I have only one suggestion regarding the reviewing of a server. The review team should clock no less than one week of play-time per server, before analyzing it. Anything less than one week is not enough time to get the accurate "feel" of a server, in my opinion

[color=navy]Rates 20/20/20 | MaxLvl 200/120 | MaxStat 200 | 12 Characters per Account | ANTI-BOT | ANTI-WPE | ANTI-KS | Heavily Customized (Storylines, Quests, Items, Maps, Features) | WoE:SE | Homunculus | Mercenaries | Newest Features | Dedicated Server | Randomized WoE System | Endless Tower | Quest Log | Ragnarokrevolution.com

Final

I know it's a good idea to stay for like a week on a server before reviewing it but some people like me decide instantly whether or not they like the server.  For example, If you log in and see 500 champs....Would you play it?  Waiting to review is a good idea in many cases but Idk..Personally, A review after like 5+ hours is good enough to get a instant first impression of a server.

Ah, fun times on RMS~ http://www.paste-it.net/private/u6c168b/   (Added more~)
-- Signature too big again.  You were notified previously on the same issue.

- So? Stop b****.

Flip

We are not necessarily going for "accuracy" of the server, but rather what we "get" from few hours of play.

Of course all conclusions are evidence-based, but its more to measure what the server "gives off" to newcomers in the all-important first hours of playing the server. In this sense, its not really measuring what the server is about, but what is the face the server is showing to incoming players.