Making ratemyserver so customizable.

Started by LeBaium, Oct 18, 2008, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeBaium

My suggestion i think is very good(i would like to do it myself but i dont have the requirement tools to do it):

I will try to do my best to explain myself.
Get your RateMyServer Custom Private Database.
Let's say i own ExampleRO, I want the best for it, including a custom database, but the most close thing i have is RateMyServer.net.
•But there's not any of my custom items.
•Or my customs slots.
•Or my custom mobs.
•Or any customized HP/SP from MVP's.
So what can RateMyServer.net do about it?

eg.
Simply Click "Get Your Own Private Database" button in the left/right side of the website.
1.- Buy a space (eg. RateMyServer.net/ExampleRO for a month 14.99/ 3 months 39.99/ 6 months 79.99)
-This includes 24/7 hosting(of the database only).
2.- Then, the server give's you a cP where you can add/hide/show/customize your OWN datase)
3.- Where you can:
-Show/Hide Items/Monsters/Maps from your players that your server has or not implemented.   With this you will avoid 90 of the 100 Pm's you get daily from nubs players.
-You can change the HP/SP,Def,Mded of a Monster, and everybody in your server can see what the real atributes of the monsters are.
-Add slots to weapons/armors/headgear that you decide to change in the server side.
-Add custom maps,with custom mobs.
-Change a Card Description.
-Let the customer decide which part opf the description he wants to show/hide.
eg. i want to hide script in my database, you choose the right option and the no one in your space but you, will see the script of the item.

Site Customs:
-You can change skins of it, the the player will feel like he has never left his server website.

Only Make a Linked Image or Text from you server website, and the player will be sended to you ratemyserver.net space.

seems like a ton and a ton and a ton of work X.x
but if someone did decide  to do it i think it'd be nuts'o expensive

anyway, try not to get your hopes to high cause it is a ton of work, but just wait for yc, who knows maybe she'll be in a not lazy "i wana work" mood or something x3

yC

jjj is right, too much work that i could make a complete new project of another thing of interest instead.  Not going to happen, sorry.

Poki

Isn't this something where it's the server's job to layout these customs and changes in their own forums or website?

Orange

A server i played on awhile ago made there own database, pretty much RMS but for there server only.

So if servers want this, they should make there own.
:3

Tira

http://essencero.com/cp/item_db.php
http://essencero.com/cp/mob_db.php

Guessing you mean something like this. If so, it would be highly impractical to offer as a service - since the majority of servers have 27373847483 custom items/mobs (my own included). It's not just a question of porting across a db, you also need to integrate this with images, item description files, pet database (not necessary, but we added it to ours to allow a tameable mob search function), etc. etc.

Ours will possibly be available for purchase for other servers in future, but it won't be cheap. $14.99 a month for the kind of task you're proposing really wouldn't fly by anyone's standards, especially if you're talking about adding in skins.

Pandora

Technically what he's suggesting is not impossible, but I can perfectly understand why it's too much work to add.

If it was possible I would imagine a form to fill by server owner for each new thing they wanna add (not porting db directly), for a monster for example you'd have ID, name, hp, picture, skill ids, etc. every info needed would be entered by the server owner. And then when a player visits RMS in their setting they can set which server(s) they play and then the mob would appear in their search, but it would not appear to other players.

Again, this would still be a lot of work on the RMS part, to create such form, modify their db to include this and probably moderate so no inappropriate material is added.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

yC

hmm i didn't know Tira cloned my db so well.

Tira

Haha. Thank our players for incessantly demanding our own equivalent. After about eight months of this we caved.

QuoteIf it was possible I would imagine a form to fill by server owner for each new thing they wanna add (not porting db directly), for a monster for example you'd have ID, name, hp, picture, skill ids, etc. every info needed would be entered by the server owner. And then when a player visits RMS in their setting they can set which server(s) they play and then the mob would appear in their search, but it would not appear to other players.

This would be a feasible way to go about it, but it demands a huge amount of manual labour on the part of the server owner (i.e. individually adding entries), which would take hours. The logical way to set something up like this is to write scripts that automatically parse the relevant client side and server side files (i.e. item description tables, item db(s), mob db(s), skill description tables, etc. etc. etc.) into a database so it's updated automatically by running a single script. So ideally, the files themselves would need to be uploaded to some kind of form, which opens up a lot of potential exploitation (for instance, adding SQL injections into the relevant text files, along with about 1827374393 other security issues that would need to be pre-empted). You then get the issue of adding custom images - for ours, we've made a program which automatically goes through our GRF and rips new sprite entries, auto-resizes for formatting and adds to folder ready for upload. Without this, you're looking at manually ripping sprite frames, renaming each and manually uploading - which isn't really practical.

So basically, not impossible to offer this as a service for server owners, but close enough. It would make more sense for each server just to make their own database.

Quote from: yC on Oct 20, 2008, 03:41 PM
hmm i didn't know Tira cloned my db so well.

thats cause you always ignore me on msn ={

Pandora

Quote from: Tira on Oct 20, 2008, 05:47 PM
This would be a feasible way to go about it, but it demands a huge amount of manual labour on the part of the server owner (i.e. individually adding entries), which would take hours.
True, but then if servers want to add their data it should be up to them to work for it, not to mention you only have to add custom, most servers don't have that many.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Hutchy

It's a really nice idea in concept, but I think it's overall easier/cheaper to maintain if left the way it is now - with a link to the server's website. Any server worth a look will have all that info on their main page. It would be super convenient to have it all on RMS, but it would take a lot of time, effort, money and upkeep, so it turns out being impractical.

But hey, one can dream, right? It would be pretty sweet.

Lucanesti

Giving more work to the servers, a format they can fill out that modifies the drop rate and monsters and what not would not be a great deal of work would it really? As in when viewing monsters and items if THEY filled out the fields and uploaded the information over the owners account? I would help there is a few bright minds out there who could do this in a decent amount of time.

http://www.jellopy.net/

For the REAL game experience =D