Moderation for Server Reports Section.

Started by Lucian, Mar 01, 2010, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucian

Everyone here knows that over half of the Server Reports are filled with absolutely nothing but a wall of text that says "blah blah blah, this guy corrupt, don't go there cause the owner did this and then I was banned for no reason."

So why not before new topics are shown to the public, have a moderator check it out, and approve of the topic creation before shown to the rest of the forum? It should hopefully clear up this section from the topics with no evidence.

Tom~

That wouldn't be a good idea ):
The reports section was made for reporting direct breaking of the ToS; if a mod must approve all the topics there, he/she might apply a proper punishment to the server him/herself, without having to approve the topic.

-1 ): Would be better for the HoS section.

And so you killed yourself,
but you killed everyone else around you too.

Lucian

Not sure if this changes your thought Tom, but I should have added in more to my original post.

This suggestion is aimed to get the topics with absolutely no evidence out of the server reports section, which I see a lot of these days, and like myself I'm sure members and moderators are tired of seeing these.

Yukino

I sort of agree with Cronox's idea.

Why not check to see if they have screenshots/evidence first and then release it to the public to see? Then after the public has decided/seen/discussed, the mods can take action. It's pointless to have server reports with no evidence and for players to bash out on it. The server report section guideline's rule link is broken... so XD.

It's just for the server report section (review section doesn't need this). Players will get blamed for ruining a server on purpose without evidence even though some players do mean what they say. Best to warn them to get something to back them up. Maybe send a PM to them telling them to back up their sources and then repost again, though this would mean the mods have to do more than they are already doing ><.
Friends are special flowers that bloom from trust.

Free Designs by Me: Here!

Tom~

Yet it's as easy as closing said topics.
If topics must be moderated, yC should just disable the Reports section and let everyone PM her, since instead of approving the topics, she would just read them and apply a proper punishment.

I hope I explained myself a little bit better now. The stress is really confusing me lol.

@Yukino: There would be no need to release the topics to the public.

Yukino

Well, I was just hoping that they would just allow posts that are not just full of text and 1), 2), 3) and so forth. They don't have to read in detail and can do so later after much discussion. Then again, yC is probably really busy, so she probably can't take on all those PMs. Some server reports... the mods are slow to reply because 1) They want players to discuss. 2) They're thinking about it, but want to wait for the right moment to say it. 3) They don't know. 4) They didn't read it yet. Many players would have read it before them and can criticize about the lack of evidence and such.

Though, what Tom~ said is partially correct (closing topics is harder since you would want to read the whole thing ;)).

Lucian

It's a hard thing to come up with a solution for, but there must be some way if it's not moderation. Maybe some email verification to all the mods, telling them about new topics & posts.

Tom~

Hiring more mods would be a good solution too. For different time zones, I mean. But if your idea is possible, that would be awesome. +1
EDIT: Hiring more mods would be something extreme. If there's another possible solution... it would be better.

Lucian

Quote from: Tom~ on Mar 01, 2010, 09:36 PM
Hiring more mods would be a good solution too. For different time zones, I mean. But if your idea is possible, that would be awesome. +1
That would make sense to. Just have to leave it up to yC.

yC

I expect the report section & support section to act like a ticket system but with transparency.  I also take PMs and prefer them for the same matter.  It's not supposed to be a discussion section.  You don't have to care about its existent (if you like), because unless it's a report about your server it shouldn't concern you.

Those that post corrupt gm etc topics are simply posting in the wrong section.  We (actually I) will simply move them to the right place be it the HoS, Soap Opera or Junk Yard.  Sometimes I leave them there to be junked later when no more information is posted.  -- You can suggest where we should put THOSE kind of topics.  Create a Flame-A-Server section ... I mean a ranting section sorta thing?

Having a corrupt GM or corrupt server is not a direct violation to the RMS review system.  The report section will not deal with it.

Yukino

Um... might want to check up on your own rules about that section. The link is broken as well.

Edit: The link for the fourth one.

Tom~

Yukino

Nuh, I meant the link within that XD.

-You will not post hoax reports.
-You are not doing this out of pure spite for the other server.
-You will not flame the posters of this forum.
-Follow the global forum guidelines which can be found at http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/index.php?topic=8.0

Lol, those rules aren't very specific in themselves.

Edit: Let me change my wording XD. I mean, those rules are not enough. People can post other things having fulfilled all of that.

Also, if it's not about my server, why wouldn't I care about it? I could play on that server for that matter, or I may want to know more about the situation in case of any new GMs that would be added to the Hall of Shame.

Tom~

Oh, LOL. No wonder no one follows the rules.

Yukino

Lol XD. It's hard to make rules after all at times, but even after all these years... there can be better ones now due to experience. Hopefully, something can be done.

At yC: Furthermore, we mentioned about how people do not have proof about such reports sometimes. Yet, they post, and other players post which cause you or a mod to move it elsewhere and be ignored/bashed on until it's locked. In just a few weeks, I've noticed that as a new member of RMS forums.

yC

The description for server report:  "If a server that is listed on RMS has false information or have been using foul play, please report that server here. Only report RMS related material here!"

Meaning the rule doesn't matter when those "I am banned" reports are just in the wrong section.  I just suggest we have a "collector"section  (give it a name ...) for those rant that goes before HoS but shouldn't be in the server report or server review section.  I always wanted to do that when a topic pops up.  Though I'd think when the section is created the usage might be lower than estimated.

:(  Those broken links are found in Riot's rule posts.  Fixed two today, tell me if there's more.

Yukino

At yC: Okay, thanks for fixing the links ;).

Some of those posts though... have to do with some RMS things, but they got no proof. Thus, the bashing begins D: .

You can try creating the section and see how it goes? Lol, I would expect a lot of post bashing though if that is okay at all..? Then again, there is just a moderate amount of these cases (thankfully not a lot), so I'm not truly sure. Can't hurt to try though.
Posted on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:08 am
As for the broken links, I think all of Riotblade's posts have them. Suggestions Section Guideline, Job Discussion Guideline, and several more D: . Just a heads-up, and thanks for fixing them. We appreciate it.

yC

I fixed  many of the broken links yesterday.

Considering to add the section under server discussion, i.e. at the same level as HoS/Soap.

Yukino

Thanks for your work, yC ^^. The links are all fixed I believe, so thanks for changing them.

Awesome ;D. We can see the outcome of it if you do decide to put it up.

yC

There we go, http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/rant-and-rave/0/

I'll have to make the official report section my own ticket system.  Don't like report topic keep getting messed up by unrelated people.  It shall be just between RMS staff and the reporter.

Lucian

Quote from: yC on Mar 06, 2010, 12:40 AM
There we go, http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/rant-and-rave/0/

I'll have to make the official report section my own ticket system.  Don't like report topic keep getting messed up by unrelated people.  It shall be just between RMS staff and the reporter.
Sounds good, yC. You can close this topic now.

Yukino

Yes, thank you for the addition ;). Seems like it's being used already... and really quickly, too XD. I second Cronox's message. Thanks for helping <3.

Lucian

Sorry about this, but I have a new request.

We have a topic in Server Reports that nobody can post in except for yC, or Pow. And I'm sorry but from what I've seen you guys aren't as active as the other moderators or members that have posted an application. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So I'm kind of suggesting we get a new moderator for these sections. Support, Server Reports, and maybe Recruitment.

Thanks,
-Cronox

yC

Well cronox, the report, suggestion or support sections are made for the site.  Not many have the power to change the site, adding more mods there will not help.

Lucian

Quote from: yC on Mar 08, 2010, 11:05 PM
Well cronox, the report, suggestion or support sections are made for the site.  Not many have the power to change the site, adding more mods there will not help.

But it would at least give somebody that is active the power to move, reply, and lock those kind of topics. Once the topic dealed with you could then make the adjustment to the site/forums when you get on.