Make Review Topics Unreplyable

Started by GorthexTiger, Nov 16, 2009, 12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we make it so Server Reviews are unable to be replied to?

f*** YES
4 (26.7%)
HELL NO
8 (53.3%)
UH, MAYBE
1 (6.7%)
I'm torn between two decisions
2 (13.3%)
I have another idea (and I hate caps lock)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Nov 26, 2009, 12:59 AM

GorthexTiger

Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3

Seikon

What is stopping me and everyone else that wants to write a terribad review from doing that?  They'd go unchecked and unchallenged.  It only takes a few people to ruin a server's reputation.  I'd have no problem if topics were unreplyable as long as the reviewer was some kind of licensed member of the RMS community with enough know-how and experience to do his job correctly, versus a bunch of noobtrolls that don't know what they're doing or, more importantly, what constitutes a good pRO server. 
u mad?

Green

Please.

That, or whack every member with a dictionary until either:
1) They learn, and apply the meaning of "opinion"
2) They are knocked unconscious, and we can preform a labotomy on them.

yC

There are people like you and there are also people like him:

http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/index.php/topic,6829.msg44502.html

Can't satisfy everybody.  You also lack a reason for your suggestion.

Green

The reason for his suggestion is obviously to stop the flaming, the stupidity and the he-said-she-saids that happen in every damn review thread.

Reviewers should not be attacked for posting something that is not a pseudo-advertisement.

GorthexTiger

Sorry my bad, I thought people would sort of assume what I was talking about.

My suggestion, is to prevent people from replying to server - review threads.

Why?

1.) So more people follow this.

2.) So Review topics that are geared toward informing PLAYERS about servers don't become this.
Spoiler
[close]

3.) And because I can hyperlink to at least...

To start off with, our most recent Drama fest. http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/server-reviews/charm-ro-first-impression-and-professionalism/msg89758/?boardseen#new

Here's another about MystRO http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/index.php/topic,12358.15.html

There was this review of BattleRO that caused several OTHER topics that had to be moved to Soap Opera
http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/index.php/topic,12245.0.html

Here is ANOTHER one where the review goes off topic.
http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/server-reviews/talonro/0/

And I can list on and on.

Orange

I say we disable to the forums, to prevent any flaming.

now gimme the best idea award i solve flaming 100% lol
:3

tracer

R i d i c u l o u s. Oh wait, this is the greatest idea since disabling forum polls!

And I can't believe it. My arguments are pretty accurate.

I wonder which one will come next.
Quote1) Lack of professional reviewers or impressionist.
2) Love at first sight only happen in movies.
3) Might contradict with player reviews.
4) I agree with yC.
5) First Impressions causes a type of cancer called assumption.
6) Bribery.
7) No one in their right mind would agree to jump servers just to review it.
8) No server owner in their right mind would list their server here, if this is implemented.
9) NO successful attempt of "First Impressions" as ever been acknowlegde? Source: RMS forums -> Server Reviews.
10) First Impressions does not change along with new updates and server population. Therefore, this group of professional reviewers might have to redo the process again.
11) Server owners and players will mob RMS whenever a bad first impression is written for there server.
http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/suggestionsrequests/review-team-first-impressions/0/
Quote from: Final on Nov 29, 2009, 04:58 AM
Skills aren't exactly needed to run a server however they are good to run an excellent server.
Close your eyes and smash your keyboard. You're doing just fine.
Quote from: Final on Dec 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Quote from: tracer on Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
Quote from: Ironic on Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Temjin - Seems like anything that comes out of your mouth is a swing at somebody here.
4444 Quotes.

Relics

Discussions are bound to go in that direction, but that's pretty much the purpose of this board

Rate
my
server

discuss my server

no u no u no u.

@orange
best

GorthexTiger

Quote from: Orange on Nov 16, 2009, 01:59 AM
I say we disable to the forums, to prevent any flaming.
now gimme the best idea award i solve flaming 100% lol

Wai r u here? I turned off teh board!!!!

I don't care, if the mods wanna deal with more crap every 10 seconds, let them.

My idea, my post.

Your just jealous you didn't get it first! >:)

tracer

RMS is like a courtroom. The only difference is that anyone can be a lawyer and no verdict can be passed.

Gorthex, I heard you apply on eAthena for a forum moderator position, I hope you don't get it. Cause I am a member there as well and I don't want you to ban me or give me any of that sarcasm. Also I don't want you to close my topics when I ask a question. :(
Skills aren't exactly needed to run a server however they are good to run an excellent server.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
Temjin - Seems like anything that comes out of your mouth is a swing at somebody here.
4444 Quotes.

bleu

I don't agree. I am of the opinion that forum users should be able to reply to any post made, be it a positive or negative review. However, if possible it would be nice if there is some "cooling off time"; which prevents the same user or users from dominating in a thread and posting repeatedly every minute or every alternate post. It would also encourage users to chill and "think before posting".

Quote from: tracer on Nov 16, 2009, 02:39 AM
RMS is like a theater stage. The direct participants are the actors while the rest of the forum users are the audience.

Corrected.

The biggest mistake of any Server Owner is "Not Keeping Cool" when receiving a negative review. Do you really think ordinary users care about how your NPCs are arranged on your server? It's how you respond and carry yourself on the forum which is more important. That's just my opinion. Be smart and play to the hearts of the forum users. Don't make them your enemies.

tracer

Hey Bleu. After going through my think before post phase.

I came up with the following:
People only read topics that contain drama.

Who are the actors? Oh yeah, the biggest mistake any server owner can do is reviewing other server while managing a server of their own.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
4444 Quotes.

orix1357

I say no to the topic starter's suggestion. Don't take this as a blatant insult/flame/whatever to your server. Take this as something to improve on. And take it as another challenge for your nerves.
Has played in: aeRO, heRO, OracleRO, ReboundRO, AriaRO, IntenseRO, VastRO, LuminaRO, AerialRO, NyuubiRO and PumpkinRO.

Green

Quote from: orix1357 on Nov 16, 2009, 03:10 AM
I say no to the topic starter's suggestion. Don't take this as a blatant insult/flame/whatever to your server. Take this as something to improve on. And take it as another challenge for your nerves.

That is the point. People are NOT taking it as feedback, or things to improve upon. They are taking it as a reason to flame and degrade the reviewer.

GorthexTiger

Quote from: tracer on Nov 16, 2009, 02:39 AM
Gorthex, I heard you apply on eAthena for a forum moderator position, I hope you don't get it. Cause I am a member there as well and I don't want you to ban me or give me any of that sarcasm. Also I don't want you to close my topics when I ask a question. :(

eA =/= RMS

I'm not as nice here as I am there.

So sorry you can't take things "as is".

@Topic: By the same token, if a review comes out as slanderous, it'd be very easy for the owner to PM something that disproves their review right?

Relics

Why let owners PM if they can discuss it in the topic?

Wouldn't it be the same reply the owner would give in the PM, like he/she would in the topic?

To 'disprove' because it's slanderous is nothing but a discussion, .. because the owner would give arguments on why and why not.

edit;
About the drama, everyone's free to post or not to post, if you want to avoid drama, don't post and don't get mixed into the battle.

Seikon

@ GorthexTiger:

It seems like you're losing, so I suppose it's time I ask a question that's been burning in my mind.  Why do you care?  At all?  If you don't want to reply to reviews about wherever you play, feel free not to.  But don't think that by creating a poll you can ultimately block people from posting anywhere.  You're a little ambitious, and in a negative way, and like the above poster who said it I, too, hope you do not get your position as forum moderator on the eA boards.  They suck as it is.

@ Green / whoever else who believes that:

You're too quick to judge my character, as well as the intentions of others who believe in justice to the same extent that I do.  I'm only going to flame and degrade a reviewer that shouldn't be reviewing.  It's plain and simple.
u mad?

Omni

Good idea, except there is one problem I see with this suggestion.

If someone writes a bad review of a server, delibrately bashing it in an attempt to make the server look bad... server owners will not be able to defend their server with a reply. Readers would have nothing else to go off other than whoever wrote the review.

[color=navy]Rates 20/20/20 | MaxLvl 200/120 | MaxStat 200 | 12 Characters per Account | ANTI-BOT | ANTI-WPE | ANTI-KS | Heavily Customized (Storylines, Quests, Items, Maps, Features) | WoE:SE | Homunculus | Mercenaries | Newest Features | Dedicated Server | Randomized WoE System | Endless Tower | Quest Log | Ragnarokrevolution.com

LemonCrosswalk

If you made reviews unreplyable then the forums would get incredibly dull.

GorthexTiger

Quote from: Seikon on Nov 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
@ GorthexTiger:
I, too, hope you do not get your position as forum moderator on the eA boards.  They suck as it is.

Sad that I have to force feed you the ammunition and you try to troll me with it. Come up with some creativity and credibility to make me CARE next time.

And if they suck so bad, why should you care?

Quote from: Seikon on Nov 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm only going to flame and degrade a reviewer that shouldn't be reviewing.  It's plain and simple.

Great~! Glad your following the Review Posting Guidelines! What a great contribute you are to the community!

Quote from: LemonCrosswalk on Nov 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
If you made reviews unreplyable then the forums would get incredibly dull.

I know, as of right now, my dog eating my shoes is more entertaining.

And he's like, 5 weeks old? lol

DeePee

Main argument in favor of disabling replies on reviews:
- Too much flaming and offtopic replies.

Main argument against disabling replies on reviews:
- People need to be able to discuss a review and server owners should be able to defend against a review.

Solution:
- Just delete the flaming and offtopic replies. Moderate more strictly.

Seikon

•When writing reviews, please try to keep factors fair.  Do not involve personal feelings into your reviews.  We don't want read topics about the admin's dog being ugly.  Keep it straight forward and understandable.

•Flaming and Trolling are big no-no's.  Don't post in these topics if you have an urge to just annoy people.

^Funny that the review that I decided to pick apart violated either of these guidelines.  Your arguement is invalid.

When people break these guidelines by posting a shoddy review, the community not only has the option but the responsibility to zerg that thread.  And that's why making them unreplyable willl never work.  ;D
u mad?

tracer

Suggestions/Requests Thread should be made unreplyable.
Buy one get one free. Disabling forum polls comes along with these unreplyables for free!

Discuss.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
4444 Quotes.

Omni

Like I said:

Server owners need to be able to defend their server from reviews intended to make the server look bad.

[color=navy]Rates 20/20/20 | MaxLvl 200/120 | MaxStat 200 | 12 Characters per Account | ANTI-BOT | ANTI-WPE | ANTI-KS | Heavily Customized (Storylines, Quests, Items, Maps, Features) | WoE:SE | Homunculus | Mercenaries | Newest Features | Dedicated Server | Randomized WoE System | Endless Tower | Quest Log | Ragnarokrevolution.com

Flip

Gorthex, I must respectfully disagree. Having reviews being able to be replied to is a symbol of the democracy theme in these forums, regardless of how much of a stretch those two concepts are related.

I for one, positively simply don't care as a reviewer if my review spawns 1000 mad replies. As a player or a reviewer, anything I would say is:

1. My opinion, and thus ultimately can AND should be disputed
2. will be backed by a fact, which is how any opinion gets formed in the first place

However, the need for being able to reply comes from the other half of that issue which is being able to accept constructive criticism in reviews and even potential mistakes or misunderstandings carried by the reviewer. I do believe this is needed and it works, albeit on the rare occasions that this happens. Still, punishing this freedom seems similar to a law being made just in order to stop people from breaking the rules, punishing those who were following the rules in the process.