Lock All Future "omg rms dey stolez mai xcluzivz!!1!" threads

Started by Zone, Aug 06, 2009, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zone

No one is doing any wrong by using something you put on the internet, when you give them such access.
If they are claiming ownership, and authorship of such things, I agree they should be reported.
But not if they just use those so called exclusives, because I know every eAthena server that uses customs uses some from someone else on eAthena.ws or the late RUNE.
The point of exclusiveness is to restrict access to the point where no one can gain access to some area without your permission.
Meaning, you have to safeguard whatever area that is. If that's a GRF, don't even bother, unless you encrypt the grf, and set the client to read that kind of encryption.

Honestly, it's common sense, once you release something on the internet, it's out there for good. You no longer have control of it.
If you don't like that, then don't release things on the internet.

And so, I suggest that all threads that are about someone using files without permission be locked and/or deleted from this point forth.
As we have seen in the past few days, all that comes from these threads is flaming, and flaming isn't friendly.
And an unfriendly RMS isn't going to attract members.

Green

=P

Ya'know, by putting the opinion part up the top, you may turn this thread into another one about the subject.

SilverStream~

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Loki

QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

SilverStream~

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zone

Reality isn't kind. If someone feels that is assholish, then I feel sorry for them, cause life is over 9000 times worse than I am.

Descent

I'm in complete agreement, regardless of how Zone put his message across, it's true.

LemonCrosswalk

I'm getting sick of the flame wars that repeat every time in a new thread.

Green

Hmm. RMS could probably be run on just one single thread of flaming.
It'd probably be the only thread on the forums, too.

yC

I don't think this is needed.  It's supposed to be a free forum, not going to put a hard rule on such topics.  If you don't want to argue on them anymore you are free to ignore them.  We really don't expect every topic can get the interest of every member in a forum.

Zone

Quote from: yC on Aug 08, 2009, 06:33 PM
I don't think this is needed.  It's supposed to be a free forum, not going to put a hard rule on such topics.  If you don't want to argue on them anymore you are free to ignore them.  We really don't expect every topic can get the interest of every member in a forum.
I want to quote this for reference.
Free forum, yet you censor our opinions on staff.
I personally don't mind arguing, it's your staff who are locking the topics. ;)

Regardless, you say you want RMS to be a friendly environment, and that is why I am suggesting this.
Didn't you remove the shoutbox because of this kinda stuff? Didn't YOU say RMS is supposed to be a friendly environment?

Cyric

Sorry to jump off topic on you here, Zone... But what exactly happened to RUNE? I saw that they had closed their board one night when I was getting ready to submit a custom NPC script I had just finished working on.
From Alexander the grammarian; To refrain from fault-finding, and not in a reproachful way to chide those who uttered any barbarous or solecistic or strange-sounding expression; but dexterously to introduce the very expression which ought to have been used, and in the way of answer or giving confirmation, or joining in an inquiry about the thing itself, not about the word, or by some other fit suggestion.

A92FL0163

usako got bored and i believe a17 was already pretty busy irl so they put it on a hold?

yC

Quote from: ★ ɀⓞϰع ⓞ∀ⓞ ฿ᶤƒᴚⓞ§Ⱦ ★ on Aug 09, 2009, 01:21 PM
Free forum, yet you censor our opinions on staff.

It is clearly stated in the forum rules that flame, troll, personal attack etc are not allowed.  If you have a problem understanding what is under the "free forum", please feel free to read/re-read the global forum rules and sectional rules.

I personally don't mind arguing, it's your staff who are locking the topics. ;)

Ref Post: http://www.ratemyserver.net/forum/index.php/topic,10990.msg79650.html#msg79650

I can see your post which got warned for flaming and not following the rules contribute heavily to the topic being locked.

Regardless, you say you want RMS to be a friendly environment, and that is why I am suggesting this.
Didn't you remove the shoutbox because of this kinda stuff? Didn't YOU say RMS is supposed to be a friendly environment?

If you truly want a friendly environment around here, you can start by taking action yourself.  As the above linked post shown, you are one of those that fails to create a friendly environment.  I am glad you remember a friendly environment is what this forum is supposed to be like.

all that comes from these threads is flaming, and flaming isn't friendly.
And an unfriendly RMS isn't going to attract members.

If you know the problem, you know flaming isn't friendly then why you still decided to reply with a flame post (as linked above and IIRC your post were removed once and you posted it again shortly after)?

I truly believe that (for any topic, not just artwork stolen debate) if nobody start to set a topic on fire, it can be a debate under a friendly environment.  I don't see a conflict with friendly environment and locking flamed topic by our staff.  It is the staff's job to create a friendly environment and thus we have to clean up topics when things not so friendly happens. By denying all topic of your suggested kind, we are denying the chance for the parties involved to talk the problem over or even solving it under a friendly environment.  

I don't want to have a series of "lock all future topic of [insert topic kind here]" suggestion started from here on as if this is a valid suggestion at all.  There are members and guests who are particularly interested in [insert topic kind here] topics.  As mentioned early, if you no longer interest in certain kind of topic, you are free to ignore them.  

Rbread

Well for once, I agree with Zone.  I've been saying the exact same thing for the last 3 years everytime I hear complaints of people talking about how their "exclusives" end up on another server.  The only way around this would be some kinda of protection, which they didnt implement, so they should've expected this from the start.