Lock All Future "omg rms dey stolez mai xcluzivz!!1!" threads

Started by Zone, Aug 06, 2009, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiteX

Quote from: PoisonWolf on Aug 10, 2009, 03:00 PM
Quote from: LiteX on Aug 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
Quote from: yC on Aug 10, 2009, 01:48 PM
I mean if you tell them "you can protect your work", at least tell them how.  Otherwise it's an irresponsible statement.  It's funny my words are always twisted in a way I don't mean it to be.  I think Serenity totally misunderstood me.

Now I did try to find out how on the previous post and I can't seems to find a way to learn how to encrypt the grf, hex the client to be able to use it, and make it work with a patcher.  Mind to share the secret so not to be irresponsible?  

Like if there's a working guide out there, that can really solve the problem for the stealing once and for all.  I would love to link it to each and every thread that mentions this kind of problem so they don't repeat the same mistake again.  That will solve the problem, otherwise the description of the Hall of Shame section is what is it for.

Good idea to the last paragraph, so far Descent and Serenity are both saying "PROTECT YOUR DAMN GRF" without linking to a guide on how, it's like saying:
Person A: You don't want to die?
Person B: No I don't
Person A: Then grant yourself immortality
Person B: How do I get immortality?
Person A: If you die then you are a retard for not getting immortality

This may be an extreme, but it just goes to show you how things are going here, I myself am also guilty of doing this s***...

LiteX,

I'm sorry if not everyone believes in breastfeeding after you've reached puberty.

Cheers.

...I'm not talking about THAT carebear, what I was talking about was simply asking others to show how to protect the GRF, it's kind of like asking someone to give out the co-ords of a highly obscure french town without giving/lending them a Geoatlas

"So next time when you're going to blame someone else for stealing work... you should look in the mirror and blame whoever for not protecting the work at all, if they protected it... then you have the right to cry about it."
Sure...just tell them how the hell to protect a GRF, everyone knows about and how to get that kind of protection you mentioned(sex) but few people know about GRF protection, your example is very flawed
ライテ‐エクス

Loki

Not really, if they wanted to protect their GRFs, what relevance does it have for searching in RMS? Shouldn't they learn about it themselves or search in the eA forums instead?

protectmygrf.net would be sexy though.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

PoisonWolf

Quote from: LiteX on Aug 11, 2009, 03:24 AM
Quote from: PoisonWolf on Aug 10, 2009, 03:00 PM
Quote from: LiteX on Aug 10, 2009, 02:50 PM
Quote from: yC on Aug 10, 2009, 01:48 PM
I mean if you tell them "you can protect your work", at least tell them how.  Otherwise it's an irresponsible statement.  It's funny my words are always twisted in a way I don't mean it to be.  I think Serenity totally misunderstood me.

Now I did try to find out how on the previous post and I can't seems to find a way to learn how to encrypt the grf, hex the client to be able to use it, and make it work with a patcher.  Mind to share the secret so not to be irresponsible?  

Like if there's a working guide out there, that can really solve the problem for the stealing once and for all.  I would love to link it to each and every thread that mentions this kind of problem so they don't repeat the same mistake again.  That will solve the problem, otherwise the description of the Hall of Shame section is what is it for.

Good idea to the last paragraph, so far Descent and Serenity are both saying "PROTECT YOUR DAMN GRF" without linking to a guide on how, it's like saying:
Person A: You don't want to die?
Person B: No I don't
Person A: Then grant yourself immortality
Person B: How do I get immortality?
Person A: If you die then you are a retard for not getting immortality

This may be an extreme, but it just goes to show you how things are going here, I myself am also guilty of doing this s***...

LiteX,

I'm sorry if not everyone believes in breastfeeding after you've reached puberty.

Cheers.

...I'm not talking about THAT carebear, what I was talking about was simply asking others to show how to protect the GRF, it's kind of like asking someone to give out the co-ords of a highly obscure french town without giving/lending them a Geoatlas

"So next time when you're going to blame someone else for stealing work... you should look in the mirror and blame whoever for not protecting the work at all, if they protected it... then you have the right to cry about it."
Sure...just tell them how the hell to protect a GRF, everyone knows about and how to get that kind of protection you mentioned(sex) but few people know about GRF protection, your example is very flawed

LiteX,

You don't get it, do you? Are you seriously that dense?

I'm not your mother. I'm not responsible for spoon feeding you with a silver spoon the size of Texas or Russia. Do your own damn homework and stop crying when someone doesn't want to give you the methods or the solution to the problem at hand.

Once again, I humbly apologize that not everyone believes in breastfeeding after you've reached puberty. Go buy your own damn milk. Either that or you can find a way to get the lactating process going on your man tits.

Good day.
P.S. I believe in the future, the terms theft and stolen sprites should only be applied when actual protection was present. Otherwise, I suggest a new category (and as a title tag) in the Hall of Shame Rulings: Unwanted Extraction (not unauthorized, but unwanted) & Usage of Sprites [UEUS]. Example: "[UEUS] Daredevil rips EssenceRO!". It's not really theft when it's like simply putting your PS3 by the road curb overnight.

Edward

Quote from: LiteX on Aug 11, 2009, 03:24 AM

So if you don't like the sexual reference... let's refer to a bank. If the bank just stores all the money in a closet without any security mechanisms... wouldn't a simple bank robber just rob the bank of all it's money? Shouldn't a big part of the blame be on the bank for not protecting the money as they should've?

And what... does the bank expect some kind of wizard to magically bestow a shield upon the closet for protection? No, LOL. The bank has to go out of their way to find a reliable company to secure it. That's how everything is in life... you can't just shout "I want protection on my GRF" and expect a genie to come out and grant you your wish. Lol come on... we're not in kindergarten anymore.

A92FL0163

i think zone and the rest dont knwo

itz toatly impossible 2 encrypt or find ways to prtotect ur files

y u guis dont get this!?!/?!?!?!?1

Edward

Quote from: A92FL0163 on Aug 11, 2009, 04:59 PM

www.FeelRO.net, they use a NetGRF.dll library to encrypt their GRF files. I don't know the whole detail or operation, however, that is what's involved. If FeelRO, HeliosRO, ApocalypseRO, and more servers can do it... why can't others?

'Impossible' is an understatement when it's done by several servers. Your title 'Moron' correctly defines you.

LemonCrosswalk

Quote from: Edward on Aug 11, 2009, 08:55 PM

www.FeelRO.net, they use a NetGRF.dll library to encrypt their GRF files. I don't know the whole detail or operation, however, that is what's involved. If FeelRO, HeliosRO, ApocalypseRO, and more servers can do it... why can't others?

'Impossible' is an understatement when it's done by several servers. Your title 'Moron' correctly defines you.
And conveniently you sell the services to do it (if I do recall, excuse me if I am confusing you with someone else). You talk about it often, but there are a lot of servers that don't have big programmers, but they can make graphics. How often do you see recruiting threads begging for programmers? A lot of small servers that don't rake in donations can't afford to hire the programmer and the software to do it.

I hate seeing stuff stolen, and I hate seeing lazy donkey people that just steal s*** instead of trying to make it (or just recolor it since it is easy as sin and anyone can do it). Although, when you are posting art anywhere online and it is worth two s***, there is a very good chance people will use it without your consent. You won't be able to stop it. There are three things you can do: Except it, cry over it, or except it but b**** about so other people can b**** about it as well. Options two and three get old really quick on the forums.

A92FL0163

0mgz d00d r u srs this iz so h4xx0r yo havnet see sum godly s*** liek dis in agezz!!1.

mebbe i shud get sum1 2 do that for me yo???/// i rly rly am interssed on dat11!

can i haev a link pleaze!!1?

Edward

Quote from: LemonCrosswalk on Aug 11, 2009, 09:09 PM

And conveniently you sell the services to do it (if I do recall, excuse me if I am confusing you with someone else). You talk about it often, but there are a lot of servers that don't have big programmers, but they can make graphics. How often do you see recruiting threads begging for programmers? A lot of small servers that don't rake in donations can't afford to hire the programmer and the software to do it.

I hate seeing stuff stolen, and I hate seeing lazy donkey people that just steal s*** instead of trying to make it (or just recolor it since it is easy as sin and anyone can do it). Although, when you are posting art anywhere online and it is worth two s***, there is a very good chance people will use it without your consent. You won't be able to stop it. There are three things you can do: Except it, cry over it, or except it but b**** about so other people can b**** about it as well. Options two and three get old really quick on the forums.

Wrong, I don't sell these services =\. If I did, I would've gladly offered my services to these people... however, this is not the case. And as much as I hate to say it, don't we all hate when people steal other people's stuff? Renn-Designs stole the whole blueprint & images of my site and made money off selling a variation of my site to others. I did my best to protect it, but in the end it was still stolen by Renn.

You never see me crying about it, cause that's how it's always is. People steal, there's honestly nothing you can do besides trying your best to prevent it. If you don't try at all... what's the use in crying when you never tried to protect it in the first place?

Honestly... even if you had a small server, you'd probably find someone nice enough to provide you information on eAthena; a person with knowledge about this kind of stuff. And please... you'll NEVER find anyone from RO-Enhance who will help you, I've personally tried... and their whole snobbish attitude to everyone is the reason why no one ever goes there besides people who post their work (the snobs).

So please, stop complaining and do your own research... you're bound to find the solution if you try hard enough.

LemonCrosswalk

Quote from: Edward on Aug 11, 2009, 10:22 PM
Quote from: LemonCrosswalk on Aug 11, 2009, 09:09 PM

Wrong, I don't sell these services =\. If I did, I would've gladly offered my services to these people... however, this is not the case. And as much as I hate to say it, don't we all hate when people steal other people's stuff? Renn-Designs stole the whole blueprint & images of my site and made money off selling a variation of my site to others. I did my best to protect it, but in the end it was still stolen by Renn.

You never see me crying about it, cause that's how it's always is. People steal, there's honestly nothing you can do besides trying your best to prevent it. If you don't try at all... what's the use in crying when you never tried to protect it in the first place?

Honestly... even if you had a small server, you'd probably find someone nice enough to provide you information on eAthena; a person with knowledge about this kind of stuff. And please... you'll NEVER find anyone from RO-Enhance who will help you, I've personally tried... and their whole snobbish attitude to everyone is the reason why no one ever goes there besides people who post their work (the snobs).

So please, stop complaining and do your own research... you're bound to find the solution if you try hard enough.

[/quote]
This is what confused me and I never accused you of crying (though I apologize if you thought that). RUNE is... well, no reason to bother. eAthena is hit or miss with help. Even if they did help and showed you what you needed to do, there is a good chance a server without a programmer may not be able to do it with their own skills. This is my last post in this thread and I have a feeling a lock is near the horizon.

Edward

Quote from: LemonCrosswalk on Aug 11, 2009, 10:38 PM
This is what confused me and I never accused you of crying (though I apologize if you thought that). RUNE is... well, no reason to bother. eAthena is hit or miss with help. Even if they did help and showed you what you needed to do, there is a good chance a server without a programmer may not be able to do it with their own skills. This is my last post in this thread and I have a feeling a lock is near the horizon.

Yeah... I don't have any anti-bot or grf protection services. Well, true... but we also got to consider the circumstances, in order to encrypt the GRF... there must be some sort of encryption key used, so each individual server should have an individual key. In the case if one server's GRF encryption does get cracked... other servers won't get cracked unless they are put under the same process. So far, it's worked for FeelRO and the others mentioned... so I can only suggest that each server who really requires GRF protection to go and find out how to do so themselves. Otherwise, they're crying over something they didn't try to prevent =\.

Annihilate

Quote from: ★ ɀⓞϰع ⓞ∀ⓞ ฿ᶤƒᴚⓞ§Ⱦ ★ on Aug 06, 2009, 11:55 PM
No one is doing any wrong by using something you put on the internet, when you give them such access.
If they are claiming ownership, and authorship of such things, I agree they should be reported.
But not if they just use those so called exclusives, because I know every eAthena server that uses customs uses some from someone else on eAthena.ws or the late RUNE.
The point of exclusiveness is to restrict access to the point where no one can gain access to some area without your permission.
Meaning, you have to safeguard whatever area that is. If that's a GRF, don't even bother, unless you encrypt the grf, and set the client to read that kind of encryption.

Honestly, it's common sense, once you release something on the internet, it's out there for good. You no longer have control of it.
If you don't like that, then don't release things on the internet.

And so, I suggest that all threads that are about someone using files without permission be locked and/or deleted from this point forth.
As we have seen in the past few days, all that comes from these threads is flaming, and flaming isn't friendly.
And an unfriendly RMS isn't going to attract members.

I think most of the previous posts have gone way off-topic.

I think this topic wants to discuss the feasibility of banning future topics about "copyright" infringement, not on how to avoid it. The discussion has gone to how far this and that can be encrypted, and so forth. Basically the fight atm is about whether it is feasible to just put some kind of protection on xxxRO's files. I suggest that another thread be made for that so that this discussion[which i find (tbh, imho) quite educational may be used for future reference or whatever.

SilverStream~

It's just sprites.. 60x20 ish pixelate images.

It's not wallpaper or real art theft.

It's like baking cookies and someone takes a cookie and makes more cookies, then someone else also makes those cookies, but a little different, and that continues through out the world, until everyone has those cookies.

If it's a design for a car, something one can make money of, then it's a different thing.

Why are the sprites so important?  Your server isn't supposed to be your buisness, it's supposed to be a freeware platform where you can create ragnarok online servers and play the game.
Everything you find at eathena is free, all sprites, everything.  If you make sprites then that should be free too, I mean why do you think rune was made, among other sprite databases?

=.= You all are acting stupid about this.

This isn't (in my eyes), "real" theft.  You wanna know what it is?

It's piracy.

I said this before, you all are doing what everyone else are doing, and now you get to feel the side of the corporations.
The difference is, this is all supposed to be free.  If you download a freeware game, and make something for it, you're not going to charge people for it, and you won't b**** about someone taking it either.

When it comes to website content being stolen, comics, entire websites, wallpapers, someone's artwork replicated and sold for money and the likes, Then I understand that you would want to do something about it.

But this? Over something this small.. that's just petty.  You're all fighting over crumbs.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edward

Quote from: SilverStream~ on Aug 12, 2009, 12:53 PM
It's just sprites.. 60x20 ish pixelate images.

It's not wallpaper or real art theft.

It's like baking cookies and someone takes a cookie and makes more cookies, then someone else also makes those cookies, but a little different, and that continues through out the world, until everyone has those cookies.

If it's a design for a car, something one can make money of, then it's a different thing.

Why are the sprites so important?  Your server isn't supposed to be your buisness, it's supposed to be a freeware platform where you can create ragnarok online servers and play the game.
Everything you find at eathena is free, all sprites, everything.  If you make sprites then that should be free too, I mean why do you think rune was made, among other sprite databases?

=.= You all are acting stupid about this.

This isn't (in my eyes), "real" theft.  You wanna know what it is?

It's piracy.

I said this before, you all are doing what everyone else are doing, and now you get to feel the side of the corporations.
The difference is, this is all supposed to be free.  If you download a freeware game, and make something for it, you're not going to charge people for it, and you won't b**** about someone taking it either.

When it comes to website content being stolen, comics, entire websites, wallpapers, someone's artwork replicated and sold for money and the likes, Then I understand that you would want to do something about it.

But this? Over something this small.. that's just petty.  You're all fighting over crumbs.

I don't necessarily agree with your post... it's 'just' sprites? I would love to see how you would be able to reproduce all the sprites with your own hands. Cause I've personally tried creating a headgear sprite, and it takes a lot of work and skill. So I don't see how it's taking a cookie and baking more cookies and someone else is going to take that cookie and bake more. That example in itself is ridiculous... it doesn't relate to this situation.

Definition of 'Piracy' - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.: The record industry is beset with piracy. (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piracy)

My question to you is... who's reproducing the sprites? It's the same exact file, taken from the owner's data. How can it be piracy when the file is officially the exact same thing. It's like telling me, a worker at a walmart steals a DVD. So when he goes home to play that DVD, it's considered pirated. See, this is why I question the logic of people sometimes... it's cause moments like these which confuse the crap outta me.

Quote from: Serenity on Aug 12, 2009, 01:58 PM
!!!!

I had a feeling he stole your layout coding! Ah-hah! I just didn't post about it because the last time I posted on RMS about layout theft the bastard who was responsible sent their harem to declare, "O HAI HE NO STOLED DIZ CONTENT Y U LYE FOUR?!".

Aaaand resume.

Yeah, he did... I never cried about it cause everybody's got to have their own hustle somewhere, somehow. For my next web layout... all he can say is WOWWWW, and just as they get on it... I'll be on the next sh!t.

Descent

Quote from: Edward on Aug 12, 2009, 05:12 PM
Definition of 'Piracy' - the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.: The record industry is beset with piracy. (Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piracy)

You're uh...missing the point there, guy.