Let's Be Serious for a second

Started by Renewal Blows, Oct 30, 2011, 12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renewal Blows

Sifting through servers looking for one that is not polluted is hard enough but guys ...seriously...you gotta do something about those flags. It's not about ethnicity or language it's about one thing for me...Ping. I know electrons are kinda speedy but host server location is still an issue.

Here is the primary problem as it relates to RMS...I did not study heraldry in university...seriously if the flag isn't US, UK or Canada I have no idea what country it is for so those tiny flag icons in the listings do nothing for me.

Honest to God I swear I saw a flag the other day with a deviling on a field of white. So I could be passing up Irish, Italian, Mexican (a Mexican RO server...not even gonna touch that one...I love mexicans but imagining the vendors selling tacos, tequila and fireworks is too funny) and other countries because I have no idea of the proximity of the server. Z/Z

Erebus

ping is dictated a lot by hops. why not just run a traceroute to the server and see what your amount of hops is going to be. if you go anywhere over 10-15, expect some lag, depends on how easily you connect to a backbone of the net on each end. I've had crazy pathways to get to some servers before

vancouver, washington ->
seattle, washington ->
portland, oregon ->
los angeles, california

now why the hell didnt it just go south instead of north. its all about routing...

yC

Is this suppose to be a suggestion rather than server seeking?

This has been discussed before.  There are too many reason for lag or high ping.  Having the server host location isn't going to help and will simply mislead people.  You will have to try it to see what you get.  Say for example, a server with anti-bot, harmony etc etc in their client, a server with a crappy host, low-spec servers, spike in population will all affect the connection speed you get.

Drauger

Quote from: Renewal Blows on Oct 30, 2011, 12:10 AM
(a Mexican RO server...not even gonna touch that one...I love mexicans but imagining the vendors selling tacos, tequila and fireworks is too funny)

Wow...... just  wow........ i read the topic title "lets be serious for a second" and i seriosuly didint expect  reading something like  that...... anyway,  i don't see it as a big problem  i mean u only need to click   in the website link and  almost always you will find  in the home page information about where is the server hosted, besides as yC posted the location wont always mean good ping.

Renewal Blows

So the purpose of the flags is to encourage RO players to pursue a prosperous career in heraldry. I am quite happy sticking to servers that display one of the few flags I know but that would seem to be a deterrent to giving other servers a chance. There might in deed be an awesome server in SodiumDioxididistan but chances are a flag with a half dead goat on it I'll probably decide to go to the one withthe Union Jack on it. Z/Z

Usagimimi

imo this needs to be moved, preferably junked. The OP is extremely obnoxious and supremist/semi-racist, and it's disgusting.

gtfo.

/angry-mode@teh-troll

Chemical Crush

@offtopic.

What the hell does Z/Z mean?  Aren't you that guy who got IP banned from eA?  Lol?

I would just do what Erebus suggested.  Seriously, and I think this DOES belong in the Suggestion rather than the server seeking.

Renewal Blows

IP Banned...try and name a server where I haven't been banned. Damn ubuntu forums went the extra mile and did some weird s*** to their cookies or my mac addy or something...by-passed that relatively easily considering.

@racist/supremisist/troll or whatever people- 1. Only people who believe in races are racist because races don't exist...just people. All bleed red. 2. Is just an opinion censor it all you want...makes you a fascist not me...I believe in free speech that doesn't promote harming people.

@ the "what does 'Z/Z' mean person: it is the nearest text representation I can make of a transendant symbol that I use as a form of "encryption" for my signature... utilizes a combination of analog and digital cypher in conjunction with human thought progression encoding. I created it just prior to designing a language that is unbreakable which I started when I was 15. Any idiot can copy my sig but none of them can explain the Z/Z and since I am the only person who can verify my sig then I have complete mastery over it. The thing is joe-blow can put f*h after all his signatures but I doubt he can explain the significance on multiple encryption levels combined with human thought progression (seeing as to my knowledge I am the only living being who knows what human thought progression encryption is I doubt anyone will be able to break my siggy anytime soon)  Z/Z

Btw: Only one in four of the forum notifications reach my inbox so don't be put off if I don't respond to your insults :3

Chemical Crush

No one is a race cause we're all the same and 'bleed red'.

Yet you categorize Mexicans.  What?  So you're a racist?

Relics

You don't have to study heraldry in order to know what a flag looks like.
Seems to me like you're just uneducated..

If you want to filter out servers based on location then use the flags or don't use the flags. If you want to go to english/american whatever servers only then do that, and test the ping for yourself.

Also cut down on the racial undertones, because I seriously don't know what you're trying to get at.

Moved to suggestions

edit:
This discussion is about replacing flags for ping/location. If you want a discussion about ethics, racism, discrimination etc etc and how important you are do it in off-topic.

Usagimimi

I don't see the point of this topic. The flags are there. If it's not a flag you like, then find one you do like. You can filter them.

I don't see a suggestion here. I just see someone looking for an opportunity to troll other countries.

Renewal Blows

By the admission of the RMS staff the flags are of no value in determining a servers suitability for any given individual. The only purpose they do seem to server is to promote some "racist" notion that people are the sum total of the countries boundaries and culture.

The use of the flags is inflammatory and discriminatory AT BEST...you do not want to know what they are at worst. Z/Z

These are your words...I am merely putting them in a context that is not convoluted by left-wing propaganda.

I am going to relax and watch Bin Laden breakdance on youtube... "that dude got some moves". Z/Z

Relics

The flags indicate the LANGUAGE of the server. If I wanted to, I could host my server in Germany and the language of my server could be Polish and the preferred main language is therefore Polish.

The flag's purpose is not host location, that is totally irrelevant to the language and ethnic a server owner wishes to maintain on his/her server.

Quote from: Renewal BlowsThere might in deed be an awesome server in SodiumDioxididistan but chances are a flag with a half dead goat on it I'll probably decide to go to the one withthe Union Jack on it.
I don't see how this is RMS's problem. If you filter based on the look of a flag then it's your own fault for missing out on a server you'd potentially like. Server owners are also free to advertise their server on their RMS page. Maybe they should put their host location there, in order to attract people like you who base their expectations of a server on the 'language' of a server (which implies nothing about host location at all) right?

Renewal Blows

Excellent Point! I will cease posting now. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. Z/Z