Allow servers to bump their Server Advertisement topic

Started by Pandora, Oct 29, 2008, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandora

Servers can make 1 Server Advertisement topic in the proper subsection, and replies are not permitted, which I think is alright, problem is that the posts about servers that are old but still active get pushed far away by new servers, some of those which barely last a week or month and close on a whim.

Who will go to the 5th page if they are looking for a server?  ???

So perhaps it would be possible to allow servers that are active to do a little bump their topic? Maybe not all the time to prevent abuse, perhaps this could be allowed every 6 months?

(Totally selfish suggestion I know, my server's on page 4 now T_T)

[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Joshy_1289

I agree in a way...

Maybe have it auto prune Topics in the Forum every month or so and send out an email to the server owner or something... so that they can re-post the Advertisement

Shinn

I agree with this too, like for example my server has changed from what it use to be way before and even if I update my topic on RMS..what's the point since no one can see it?

Maybe like a bump every month from the admin so we can let the people know we have new stuff and such?

Cheers~

cause after all the drama, I still slain em.

Need a site done? contact me.

yC

no bump is so that there isn't someone infinitely bump their ad everyday to stay on top.  Doing that is very easy and we had ppl like that before.

The current no reply no bump situation, is mean to be a clean up for topic that are old (i think ...).

It seems fair enough to have each new topic stays in the first page for the similar amount of time before they get pushed back.  I really wouldn't want ppl keep bumping their topic.  I can't tell how is a "little" bump can be done with the existing forum feature ... a bump is also a reply ... if it can happen one day ... it can happen everyday. 

If your topic is like months old (i'd say 3-6 months? at least), you might want to remake it. 

i would go delete those topics from Feb but i tend to forget.

Joshy_1289

So you are saying if our post his a few month old we can repost the Advertisement ?

Scars

I suggest open a new section for servers in the top 10 or top 20 on the Ratemyserver listings for each low,mid,high,super high categories, that are updated every month or two.

It is not that hard for new server to get reviews to be in the first page, top 20, or even top 10, especially with the 6th month archive system.

Edit: There are literally hundreds of servers that open and close every few months or so, non serious server like those shouldn't get any credibility, and on the other hand the handful dozens of decent server, or those that has been up for a fair amount of time should be given a different credibility. It is only fair, and it strengthen the barriers of entry into Ratemyserver, and it will promotes more professionalism to new server. 

Another idea is, maybe we should give a server that has been up for at least 6 months or 1 year in separate section in the forum.

Pandora

Scars' idea is good, as are others, but I understand it might be hard to implement.

If yc or a mod can delete topic that are a certain age and we can remake our advertisement thread that's nice enough. I see that many topics that were 8+ months in the low rate advertisement got deleted already.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

Scars

No it isn't >.>

Open new section in forum, say "RMS Top 10/20 servers" for each rates, or "6 months/1 year + server".

Simple & effective.

trueblueali

My only issue with your idea Scars, is it might not allow for smaller, newer servers to grow. I mean, if people just wanted to see the top 10/20 servers, they could just go to the main RMS page and look at the first listing of the top servers rated.

I have an idea, though I don't know how practical it would be.

Make the advertisement forum only editable by RMS staff. Then have everyone submit their respective Ad to a designated staff member and limit the number of new ads per day in the order in which they were received. (So if you get 6 people applying for an ad, and the limit is 5 ads per day, only post those five and then add the sixth the next day.) Make a time limit, (i.e. a month, two months, six months, whatever) and then delete all the ads in the forum and start over.

Scars

It makes new server got to try harder to be successful, then again it raises the standards.

On the other hand new server got the advantage of being "new" many people like a "fresh start", a serious/professional new server that attracted people won't be effected much from this.

Unprofessional cheap/lame ones probably would die faster, which is a good thing cause would die anyway. Making a server should not be about picking a name, paying SIP $20-$30 to get your server up and you launch it just like that.

QuoteMake the advertisement forum only editable by RMS staff. Then have everyone submit their respective Ad to a designated staff member and limit the number of new ads per day in the order in which they were received. (So if you get 6 people applying for an ad, and the limit is 5 ads per day, only post those five and then add the sixth the next day.) Make a time limit, (i.e. a month, two months, six months, whatever) and then delete all the ads in the forum and start over.

Poor JJJ.

yC

advertisement board and recruitment board threads that are older than 6 months have been removed.

that is suppose happen just no one does it after the first time, i think.

Pandora

Mine will expire soon then, and I'll remake it.

Goodbye 2449 views  :'(

Pandora

*Cough*

Hey lookie there are some recruitment board threads that are older than 6 months to delete please xD

yC

Quote from: Pandora on Nov 10, 2008, 09:05 AM
*Cough*

Hey lookie there are some recruitment board threads that are older than 6 months to delete please xD

Deleted for the next 3 months too! 

I mean, if a recruitment/application isn't filled/hired in 3 months shouldn't it be gone already or at least deserve a rephase?