WoonRO (Pre-Renewal Server) - 2k15 Review

Started by Kris, Aug 24, 2015, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

Before I go on to say any thing negative about this server, I'd like to point out that over the past couple of years, WoonRO has surely been my favorite mid rate server. I don't usually do reviews but I've invested enough time on this server (over the course of a couple years) and so here goes. I'd also appreciate if the tea party squad (officially known as the WoonRO council) would take the time to actually read and wisely interpret what I've written instead of the cliched "OH IT'S KRIS, MUST BE TROLL, BAN" attitude.

Community - 10/10
Playing a f*** ton of servers over the course of 10 years, I've come to the conclusion that this server has, without a doubt, the best mix of individuals. Noobs, Trolls, Carebears, Pinoys, Helpers, Flamers, People who pretend to be good but actually suck, Veterans, etc. This server has it all and hence this would be an excellent server for someone playing RO or even a MMORPG for the first time because he/she would be introduced to several kinds of people who exist over the internet. A lot of people might think otherwise but this but this (according to me) is WoonROs USP (unique selling point)

Server Stability - 3.5/10
I've always played a multitude of servers at the same time, so at no point of time was WoonRO my primary server and hence I could never have been online for more than an hour or two in a particular day. Although I've left my characters afk in town for several days, I typically just login when pvp is active and then hop onto another server when pvp starts to die. Whenever I've wanted to pvp though, the server has always been online and the only reason why I've not given this a 9 or a 10 is because I've probably not been online enough to actually know what's up at different times.

Events - 9.5/10
Every time I'm online, there's always some random event going on or there's that retarded devil square thing where most of the people on the server join forces to take on a fixed amount of recurring mobs, several times a day in an attempt to get Gold Coins or some s*** which I couldn't care less about. This is pissing off because people start leaving pvp to attend that event but meh, I can live with a 5 minute water break.

Economy - Don't Know/Don't Care
I was lucky enough to get gear on this server due to knowing people who I've played with on other servers and so I've never really bothered to see how the economy works on this server. Shouldn't be too shabby because I've noticed people tend to level/gear up quicker on this server than most other mid rates.

Class Balance - 5.5/10
Unlike most mid rates, this server has actually gone the extra mile to make custom sets for certain classes like Whitesmith and Lord Knight who actually (thanks to their custom sets)have some use inside of pvp and bg. Although, I'm impressed with class balance, I feel like this is one of those features where you go all the way or just keep it as it is. I'd probably comeback and edit this part of the review when they have custom sets for other classes too because right now, I feel like the staff is highly classist.

Administration -2.5/10
This server has been up for years and now comes the part where a person like me, who's seen several servers rise and fall, is in utter disbelief as to how a server with such a lousy team have been able to run the #1 server spot on RMS for so many months/years. Then again, I'm not flabbergasted because Yrvine was able to get 3 different mid rate servers to the top 10 RMS listing within the span of a year and a half.
Honestly, I have no idea why they have this thing known as the WoonRO Council. I've interacted with several council members and even used varied aliases to ask them basic game related questions just to check on them but 9/10 times they wouldn't know what I was talking about. Well, this is only to be expected because almost anybody can join the WoonRO council.
Now the part that pisses me off is, these lame excuses for law & enforcement tend to single out people and because of some god forsaken reason, they like to gang up on certain players whom they have detailed discussions on skype. I did have a screenshot of this somewhere on my old laptop, which I will add to this post as I find it. I've been muted on several occasions for just speaking the truth about how some of the council members were wrong and I said this without flaming or using inappropriate language but meh, I guess the staff on most servers would tend to gang up on certain players.
Also, the staff here, love to play the favorites game. Even though I don't take part in most forum events, I usually check to see what's been happening and I keep seeing the same people win different forum events. The main factor of this being that some players have become experts in sweet talking and putting up a fake kawaii persona online and these are the same people who always get the most +1s/likes on their forum posts (even though some one else would have a much better entry) and hence, end up winning. 
OKAY I ALMOST FORGOT, TALKING ABOUT FORUMS. I recently got banned on woonRO forums for stating something true. So basically, somebody posted a ban appeal and I can't remember why exactly the person was banned because this was almost a couple of months ago but he didn't seem to do anything wrong intentionally and so I commented on his ban appeal by saying something along the lines of 'Don't worry, you'll get unbanned eventually, like others have'.
Not too long ago, there was an unban event where you could have been unbanned for what you did. Obviously, there was a twist to this. You were supposed to make a video recording of yourself and post it on youtube for the whole world to see and if the admins thought you were actually sorry, they would in return, unban your banned account/s. Although I found this event creative and hilarious at the time, it was one of the most sadistic things I've seen online (but this is just my opinion).
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
I've never spoken to Nihad so I can't really comment about him but the 2.5 I've given is because of Seffi. If there was no Seffi, I would have instant given this a 0. Back when my ID was hacked and deleted, she was quick in restoring my stuff and all in all is a really smart and dedicated admin who puts in a lot of effort to make sure everything is running smooth on the server. It's ironic because she is the person who banned my forum account because of stating facts. I guess I must have hurt her ego by telling a player not to worry and that an unban was possible. In any event, I won't let something as miser as an egoistical issue affect my overall review of this server.

PVP - 9.5/10
I'm not going to be talking about BG because contrary to popular belief, I've never taken part in bg on this server. This is the only reason that makes me (and a couple of others) keep coming back to this server. This server is 3+ years old, yes some people have multiple mvp cards and yes all mvp cards are enabled in pvp but considering I'm usually dominating the room without having any MVP card, I find pvp on this server really, really interesting. During peak hours, the room even touches 20+ people which I find amazing because a lot of new mid rates these days don't even have those many players online (excluding the vendors ofc). I did take part in WoE a couple of times, guest woe'd for different guilds at different periods of time but never really took part in it consistently to make a comment on it. From what I hear though, it's not really great. Again before someone quotes me, I've never taken part in it consistently to make a comment on it.

Headgears - 10/10
60% of all RO players in 2k15 play this game to make/quest/collect headgears. This server has the most headgears I've seen in any server over my 10 year tenure in RO (including official and private servers)
2k21 Return

Kolby

The only problem I have with the community especially on #main is flaming, bad words, bad mouthing and etc are allowed(well someone needs to draw the line)

Other than that, there are very helpful people that gave me info on whatever I needed to know on the server and some even gave me tons of zeny /no1
Searching for friends is hard
Searching for companionship is harder
Be grateful to those who accompany you
On this Road, like the Wayfarer(A Person Travelling) finding it's way back home!

Playing since: 2004

Regret

I disagree with a few points of your review.
Server stability deserves a 1 for simply being up at the moment as most people are experiencing lag issues during WoE but the Admin claims that there are no issues.
On top of that, you still get banned on the forums for saying something that either the Admin or the Council doesn't agree with.

It's mindboggling how a poorly run server such as WoonRO has managed to hold the #1 midrate spot for so long on RMS, but I guess it doesn't take much more than being up and running to become the 'best' RO server of a category nowadays.
They pretty much go hand in hand with TalonRO in terms of how 'good' the server is. TalonRO has a decent host, I'll give them that.

Kris

Edited Server Stability
2k21 Return

Oldschooler

Servers pretty solid. It's going through a tough time though atm.

kmart

i used to play in this server and ya it's a decent server with cool amounts of custom hats and stuffs and you can literally catch up to those old fully geared players in short time. just keep on playing battlegrounds and sell your hard earned badges for profit. the only downside in this server are those said bad mouths in game. as a super novice fan, i always play super novice as my main character without second thought of being outplayed and outclassed by any jobs as long as i am enjoying what i am doing. but during my stay in this server i do experienced harassment and trash talks from fags playing in this server telling to me that i should re roll because super novice class sucked lol. well i just didn't mind them in fact i already pawned some of the heads of those bad mouths inside bg and pvp.   /no1 /o

Hoanghoang

I have a bad experience in woonro, people very ungratitute, very selfish, harrassing and rude. I just wanna play alone. GM didn't know, and wrong bann me. Everything it's bad
Never come back again

Hoanghoang

My mistake, GM misunderstand me and bann me
It's experience bad

yC

Hoanghoang, are you talking about the new server by the same group?  This topic is at least 2 years old.  I recommend you create a new topic and share your experience if you can give more details of your problem.