SerenityRO: First Impression Series

Started by Mania, Nov 07, 2009, 12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mania

About me: I have been chosen to review Low Rate servers. I have played LR servers, including iRO, for 5 years. I volunteered to do these reviews because I wanted to offer an unbiased view of servers based on the simple idea of players judging a server based on first impressions. But that's boring stuff... on to the review.

Name: SerenityRO
Rate:  10x/10x/10x
Opened: It looks like the newest version of seRO opened August 2009

Summary – SerenityRO is a Low Rate server with friendly forumers, custom equipment, donation items, and a low population.

Ease of Use – Installation was no more difficult or easy than a normal server. I did have some issues with downloading "lite" client. I do have kRO on my computer and it is fully updated, but the client just wouldn't work. I had to download the the "full" client instead. Registration for in game account was simple. Registration for the forums almost made me paranoid. There were several different bot/spam checks to register on the forums. More on the forums later.

Economy Glance – The prices seem just about right for a low rate server. Cards were priced higher, headgear priced lower, healing items priced at 3x the NPC selling rate.

Balance –   Classes: I saw one or two of about every class available with exception of vending merchants and AFK high priests. PvP: All the PvP arena were empty, but the server seems more like a social server than a PvP/WoE server judging by the main chat and town chat. Donations: For a low rate server they had a lot of custom donation items. The items seem to be imbalanced for a 10x/10x/10x server. I may be wrong though, because I never figured out the donation dollar amount to point amount conversion. Customs: There is a card you can get for 1250 points that increases your HP by 30% and all stats +2. The server also has custom upper and mid headgear that gives +10% to different stats groups depending on which you select. The lower headgear gives +5% to stat groups depending on the purchased item. There are also carts you can purchase for every class for 500k. Oh, and wings (small ones), but they do have little wings on the server.

GM Responsiveness – The Admin Serenity/ Today I'm: Justin was active on the forums. I did submit a support ticket regarding error I received while trying to start the "lite" client. I did put it in the wrong section on purpose. There is a section on the forums that deals with game errors, but you know how normal players are they don't look too hard for a solution. Either way I didn't get a response one way or another. (reference pic: http://i36.tinypic.com/2hpkqyh.jpg) However, Justin/Serenity did stop by to welcome me to the game.

Forum Environment – This is the only MAJOR problem I have with the server. There is an 18+ section on the forums where 4chan-like materials are posted. I never had to enter my date of birth or age to verify the my 18+ status. (reference pic: http://i36.tinypic.com/15u8sl.jpg)You can freely enter and view this forum section. Serenity/Justin even posts 18+ material there himself. (I've seen things that cannot be unseen. Thanks.) I would suggest hiding/locking that section if possible or getting rid of it all together.

In-game Community – Mmm... No one really talked to me. I wasn't "ignored" exactly, but what players were around were either AFK or engaging in their own conversations. I got a couple little /bo emotes thrown my way a couple times when saying hello.

X-FactorsDonation Page: I'd like to see what exactly I'm donating for. You can disguise the donation helms but there are no pictures to show exactly what I can get for my money. GM list: I would also like to have a list of staff on the main page or maybe on the forums somewhere so I can clearly see the names of the people I'm looking for. However, It appears Serenity/Justin is the only one around. Maybe I'm wrong. If he is the only Admin/GM then kudos to him he's doing a fabulous job.

Conclusion - If I didn't have to move on to my next server to review I would happily continue playing seRO, but I would not lurk on the forums.

Ciao,

Mania

Kashiyuka

I tried to say hi to you in Payon Cave, but you ran awaaaaay  :(

Anyway, awesome review, really fair. As far as the Staff thing, Serenity is the only GM, but a couple of Event Masters were added just a couple days ago. The donation conversion is 1pt=1 cent USD, so 2000 points = $20.

Mania

Quote from: Kashiyuka on Nov 08, 2009, 12:32 PM
I tried to say hi to you in Payon Cave, but you ran awaaaaay  :(

Anyway, awesome review, really fair. As far as the Staff thing, Serenity is the only GM, but a couple of Event Masters were added just a couple days ago. The donation conversion is 1pt=1 cent USD, so 2000 points = $20.

See I thought that about the dollar -> point thing, but then I read on the forums the special hats were $20 donations, but when I went to look at them in Serenity's Office I saw they were 1600 points. So then I got confused.

And serious kudos to Serenity for being the only admin/GM. I mean it, the place looks awesome and players look happy.

Kashiyuka

Ahh yeah, the ones in Serenity's office are purchased with voting points instead of donation points, so the pricing is a little different.