TalonRO

Started by Fruit Pie~, Jan 20, 2013, 09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeePee

Vroom this minimum amount of characters sucks.

Cawliflower

tl;dr

Character overflow may kill me.  /heh
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DivinityRO 6.9 coming soon!

Fruit Pie~

Hello again!

Quote from: Necrophiliac on Jan 20, 2013, 11:23 PMI was thinking about trying out Talon since iRO has too many bots and french RO has too many bugs.  I knew it was a cash grab server but thought it might still be worth playing on since the server is at least populated unlike most LR's.  The fact that PvE is stuck in 2008 and there's no BG is too big of a turn off for a cash grab server though.

Have you two done these kind of reviews for other servers?  I would love to read them.
Not as a duo, no. Glad to see you, uh, liked it? Possibly! And I'm gonna admit I have a soft spot for iRO and recommend staying there, even with the bots. You get used to them!

Quote from: 5/5/3 Player on Jan 21, 2013, 01:59 AMYou must have a lot of free time.
The irony is killing me.

Quote from: Cressy on Jan 21, 2013, 04:17 AMEvangelist, mob spawns.
I figure I should explain my bit on the Evangelist. According to the wiki, is a 250 ATK mace with three slots, +5 DEX, +5 INT, Magic Crasher. 250 ATK is admittedly really high for a 3 slotter, but unless you stack TGs on that, you're always better off with the Battlefield Morning Star (if it's available). DEX and INT bonuses would be great for an offensive caster build, but there's no MATK bonus, so this handily loses to even an unupgraded Lich Bone Wand in that regard. The Staff of Recovery is definitely more powerful for healing if you have high INT already. Magic Crasher is worse than Holy Light in every single way except piercing GTB. It doesn't give you VIT, thus making it automatically worse than any old Rod with four Fabres.

The good bonus mods include DEX. And that's it. Crit and ATK won't solve the BP's DPS, which is mostly a lack of offensive skills - and if you want Crit that bad you're always better off with a slotted Spike. The INT won't work well with no MATK%. Sanc Heal is okay if you're emp-keeping, but this is an expensive weapon to get for a nearly worthless WoE role. Every other mod is really bad and should never be picked. And this isn't a thing with never trying - RO is a game of numbers! You don't need to make your own Tjungkuletti or build your own Martyr Paladin to know they're bad.

Also, I don't really mean the leveling spots are bad - I mean they became bad over the years so that the mob spawn changes don't make up for the fact that, say, Metalings are still three to five times the EXP per hour compared to Myst Cases, and you can do them from level 15 on with most duos. That's why I think they're weird - they're not making up for the inefficience and, thus, add no real extra leveling spots to the usual rotation.

EDIT : Also, the same people who unironically use the Evangelist also apparently worship the slotted Formal Suit and level on Myst Cases. ._. Just thought I'd point that out.

Hermos

It's fun to see how you make a lot of conclusions based in assumptions you create. Of course Metalings are better for EXP and people still level there. But Myst Cases drop Piece of Cake, which is the main HP healing item in Vanilla WoE/PvP. Thus new players can sell it for WoE players and make some money, which you can't do as fast with Metalings. So people who don't care too much about getting fast EXP go to Myst Cases for the zeny, and people who want to get fast EXP go to Metalings.

DeePee

Ah well, opinions will be opinions :)

Some less useful SQI bonuses are still being revamped. The Evangelist melee bonuses are not very useful IMO. However, the other bonuses make it a very powerful weapon and one of the best SQIs around. All depends on how you use it.

Thanks for the review. We certainly do not agree on everything (some points made are just not exactly correct due to you only having played for a weekend, the new kRO Izlude map being one of them, that's an official update), but there are some points in there that are worth looking at~

Good luck on your next server.

RoseTea

Quote from: Hermos on Jan 21, 2013, 04:31 PMPiece of Cake, which is the main HP healing item in Vanilla WoE/PvP.
Wait, seriously?  Why not Mastela Fruits?  They don't seem to be banned according to the Vanilla Mode article on the wiki.  This makes even less sense than our assumption.

Edit: A thought: Why not just provide vanilla versions of consumables (Meat, grape juice, ect) if the changes to items make them banned?  Why are the standard, heavy red and white potions banned but not yellow or orange?  Why is MILK banned!?  Why Honey but not Royal Jelly?

Edit 2: Here's why!  Milk's been made 0.3 weight for some reason.  Not sure what the deal with Honey is or the potions though.

Edit 3 - The Editing: Wait wait wait, milk weighs 0.3 and heals ~32.  Meat weighs 2 and heals ~85, and also costs more.  I'm not entirely sure what's going on here, but I think the math is off somewhere.

DeePee

They are restricted because they are customized, which is a left-over from our past as a part of AnimaRO. I'd personally love to return them back to their official versions, but that would cause a lot of technical issues (people going severely overweight, carts being overweight, causing weight-based skills to skyrocket in terms of damage).

As for Mastelas: they are a better (although heavier) alternative, but also harder to obtain. Myst Cases give decent exp, are easy to farm and drop Pieces of Cake, which are quite good money. They also drop Chiqita's Jewelry Box, which gives you a random mid-headgear. It isn't the best map in terms of zeny and it isn't the best map in terms of exp. However it is a very good hybrid for people who like to both earn zeny and level up :)

Things aren't as black and white as they seem in your eyes. But that's something you can't really know after the short period of time that you spent on the server.

RoseTea

Quote from: DeePee on Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PMAs for Mastelas: they are a better (although heavier) alternative
Heavier?  Well that doesn't make sense, they're pretty easy to obtain unless the Hugel NPC is gone, but heavi-

Oh.  Cakes weigh 1 here.  And heal more than a white potion.  But hold on a second:

Quote from: DeePee on Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PMThey are restricted because they are customized
TalonRO can't even stay consistent on a single principle here.   The modded better-than-whites weigh-1 cake is okay, whites are objectively worse but banned, and the piddly ~37 from a super light milk is custom so it's gone?  I'm sorry, what?

Quote from: DeePee on Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PMThings aren't as black and white as they seem in your eyes. But that's something you can't really know after the short period of time that you spent on the server.
My short time on the server (and this whole page of "clarifications") did let me know something: TalonRO has no sense of direction.  I'm pretty sure I could spend as long as you decide on Talon and still be unable to decipher the design goals behind the customs.  Like, yeah I understand minor nitpicks now, but now I like them even less.

DeePee

Right, totally ignored the most important statement. I can go make a discussion that way, too.

This topic is now just about ranting on things you don't like without really knowing everything you're talking about. The starting post had some faults and some good points, but now...it isn't worth my time anymore, sorry.

Fruit Pie~

Quote from: DeePee on Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PMThey are restricted because they are customized, which is a left-over from our past as a part of AnimaRO. I'd personally love to return them back to their official versions, but that would cause a lot of technical issues (people going severely overweight, carts being overweight, causing weight-based skills to skyrocket in terms of damage).
Wait, isn't there a failsafe for this in eAthena? *checks*

Huh. There isn't a failsafe for this. The more you know! There's one for monsters using Cart Termination, though, for whatever reason.

Fair enough, emulators will be emulators. This is another AD item dupe incident waiting to happen, I can tell. (not on Talon, on any server that changes item weight, really)

RoseTea

Quote from: DeePee on Jan 21, 2013, 05:43 PMRight, totally ignored the most important statement. I can go make a discussion that way, too.

You've ignored a full half of what I've said so far.  Nice talking with you, I guess.

Edit:
Quote from: DeePee on Jan 21, 2013, 05:43 PM
This topic is now just about ranting on things you don't like without really knowing everything you're talking about.
Things reviews aren't: Ranting on things you don't like about something.

Boreas

In the end, you didn't enjoy your time on TalonRO while others do. Enough said.

Time to move on, good luck on your next server. I hope you spend another two days on reviewing it, the GMs there will most certainly appreciate your work.

Bye!

boxGloom

Quote from: Boreas on Jan 21, 2013, 10:21 PM

Time to move on, good luck on your next server. I hope you spend another two days on reviewing it, the GMs there will most certainly appreciate your work.

Bye!
are you going to IP ban them for giving a bad review?

DeePee

Why would we do that?

Seri

How come so many server reviews become Reviewers vs GMs + their RMS friends (other GMs)...

Not even informative to read these threads anymore.

Especially saddening to see a review section/thread turning into a bombardment of criqitues on the review more so than on the server in focus. There are just too many attempts by he GMs to discredit any "negative" reviews by statments such as:

Quote from: DeePee on Jan 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
Ah well, opinions will be opinions :)
Reviews = Opinions? Whoa!

Quote from: Boreas on Jan 21, 2013, 10:21 PM

Bye!

The reviewers stated upfront they only played on the server for 2 days-- let the readers take account for this, instead of discrediting a review based on such detail.

Server reviews are written for others players, no? The reviewers did not accuse or assume details about the server that is false. It would be impossible for every player to understand the "intention" of every customization, but surely that is not their fault nor do they have to agree with them. Unless there is something in the review that projects a criminal/shame type of details (i.e. accusation for corruption, unfair bans, etc)-- they should be given enough room to express their opinions freely without all of the above that is going on in this thread. Anyway, I thought I would chime in since I play TRO too, and though I may not agree on everything in every review, it's rather degenerative to see TRO GM's bashing (basically trolling) the reviews/reviewers on this review forums.