Talon Ro (Low Rate Server) ~ Review

Started by Aireine, Mar 13, 2013, 10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeePee

Quote from: Cressy on Mar 31, 2013, 12:53 AM
However you are somewhat incorrect or simply do not know our whole database/reward guru. Not all items are available there, to list a few of the ones that I know for sure (as I would hate to say something and be wrong) all SQIs still need to be quested for, Maya Purple card is not there, Carled (or Cardo the spear), slotted ice picks also cannot be purchased at the guru. There are a few others if I recall correctly.

This is correct. The Reward Guru only offers gears up to Episode 11.3 (we're on 13.3 now) so for the best items you will always have to farm or quest. You can buy an SQI from another player all you want but it'll be useless without doing an extensive quest.

The Reward Guru offers anyone an alternative to farming some basic gears. You tried hunting a slotted glove for weeks and it keeps not dropping? Well then, you can sell your loots, buy some TCs on the market and exchange some Copper Coins you might've saved. That's the main purpose of the Guru. People who donate (which doesn't come cheap) simply will be able to get some basic gears a little faster than those who don't. It is by no means a way to become the strongest player by paying.

RoseTea

Quote from: DeePee on Mar 31, 2013, 02:45 AMThe Reward Guru only offers gears up to Episode 11.3 (we're on 13.3 now) so for the best items you will always have to farm or quest.  [...]  The Reward Guru offers anyone an alternative to farming some basic gears. You tried hunting a slotted glove for weeks and it keeps not dropping? Well then, you can sell your loots, buy some TCs on the market and exchange some Copper Coins you might've saved.
You're right, for some reason I thought the list of items was far more extensive than it actually was (blame being able to buy tons of cards for TCs, I guess).  You can buy some of your SQI quest items, though.  While looking at them, I found slotted Robo Eyes instead, which is equally amusing.

So I can buy basic gears like a +50% HP footgear card, a miniboss card that was changed to be Better Than Thara Frog, and Lord Kaho's horns.  Right, basic gears, and just a "little" faster than the "weeks" of failed slotted glove hunting.

Quote from: Cressy on Mar 31, 2013, 12:53 AMI didn't just nitpick, but I didn't really disagree with anything you said other then that the word was wrong so I felt no need to comment on the rest.
So we're in agreement: TalonRO is a great server to play if you like 2006 RO, buying Talon Coins, or a server that prides itself on being an incarnation of some other server.

Quote from: Cressy on Mar 31, 2013, 12:53 AMWhile I know you did play on Talon for a very short time, I'm really sorry but I think you failed to grasp some of our finer game play styles, it doesn't make you wrong or anything, it just means you're seeing things from a different perspective to someone like me who has been on the server a year.
Sorry, but TalonRO isn't some high depth level of game design that takes a deep analysis to understand.  If I played it for a year I'd still think it was a shameless cash grab of a server that stays popular because it's a clone of the first big pserver people played, nonsensical custom choices and all.  In my own review thread people kept saying I didn't spend nearly enough time on the server to grasp its brilliance.  Frankly, given my first impression, what motivation do I have to invest however absurdly long timespan is expected to "get" TalonRO?  Even DOTA of all games I got into the swing of within a week or two.

Quote from: Cressy on Mar 31, 2013, 12:53 AMI also don't see it as "free" if you're paying money to get those items then you've given up something and frankly, with 1usd being 1tc it's actually quite expensive to do it that way [...] I feel our system is a hell of a lot more balanced.
You can buy a +50% max HP footgear card, +10 vit +10% resistance to everything garment, GTB (unchanged, of course).  All, in total, for cheaper than a PS3/360 game (you've invested a year into the server, you can see this is a good deal).  I've treated myself to fancy lunches more expensive than the +50% HP footgear, and I'd probably get more long-term joy out of the card too, if I'm spending a year+ on this server.  Sounds balanced to me!

Quote from: Cressy on Mar 31, 2013, 12:53 AMPS. I could be going crazy but I'm almost certain your text was maroon last time and now it's brown, am I just cracking or did that really happen? @_@
Actually, I did end up picking brown on that one.   Brown looks like this.  They look nearly identical, but I edited it anyway because I like my own consistency.

DeePee

QuoteYou can buy some of your SQI quest items, though.  While looking at them, I found slotted Robo Eyes instead, which is equally amusing.

As I mentioned in my previous post, you can buy an SQI but it will be useless without doing an extensive quest. Read up on the SQI Bonuses mechanic.

As for Robo Eyes, slotted mid-headgears are not slotted versions of their non-slotted version. They barely have any stats. Please read up on that as well.

As for the other things: that's your opinion. The way I see it, thousands of people enjoy the server and game mechanics we have created. To each their own, I suppose :)

Judgement

RoseTea acting as usual.  We get it, you don't like their customs.
Super Smash Brothers 64!

RoseTea

Quote from: Judgement on Apr 01, 2013, 05:10 AM
RoseTea acting as usual.  We get it, you don't like their customs.
DeePee acting as usual.  We get it, you play and like TalonRO.

Or is he allowed to post in every TalonRO thread and I'm not, because he likes it and I don't?

Judgement

You don't have to go to every review thread concerning TalonRO or other servers just to express your hate for their customs.  You already made your thread about it, don't have to go to every other TalonRO thread to say the same thing (or other similar servers).

And well, DeePee is a GM of the server, so it kinda makes sense that he'd jump in them.
Super Smash Brothers 64!

Boreas