Rise of Midgard - First Week Thoughts

Started by tnznt, Jan 12, 2017, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnznt

Hello Guys,

So, some of you might not know but last friday, Rise of Midgard (Zinnia's Dawn of Midgard's Sucessor) was released.

The release moment had around 700 players online, so it was pretty nice to see that amount of novices running around and also, if you consider that most servers usually grow from 200-ish players to big populations (see NovaRO as an example, it had like 200 players not so long ago) it's a pretty good number even though it's less than ggRO. Another pretty nice point is that they had custom novice grounds, which is a pretty good impact imo, as it's not the same old s***, that you gotta keep killing Rockers until 10/10 (You can get 9/9 by talking with the NPCs).

About the server's configurations it's honestly one of the most well thought configurations I've ever seen. I'm not talking about the rates, drops and that kind of configurations but about the ones regarding the mechanics.

The zeny is shared with your game account, so you don't need a banker NPC or trade the zeny between your accounts. There's also something called 'Master Storage', that's a shared storage between all your game accounts (they have the same system iRO has, where you create a Master Account and create multiple Game Accounts within the same Control Panel).

Also, one of the most noticeable features is that it has fast refresh implemented by default and this is one of the biggest impacts I've seen there. To those that aren't familiar with third party programs, this was one of the features available in one of the most famous cheats, LinkZ.

Speaking about LinkZ, LinkZ (the guy that created the cheat) is the responsible by the server's security against cheaters which again, I thought it was a pretty smart move as most admins have little to no knowledge about third party programs even though they're good devs.

So, let's talk about the first week.

The server is good and running but it does have some issues.

Map Spotlight
-  There's that Map Spotlight feature where, each day (or week, i don't remember) a whole region's maps get double exp. But the problem is, for some reason SOME maps aren't receiving the double exp, even though they're part of that region. This lets some players down as they plan their leveling in some map and when they arrive there, there's no double exp.

Daily Login Box - It's a nice feature that's default on most of the newer/good servers around, but this one kinda gets people angry as there's a lot of useless/bad rewards there so you might be disappointed if you expect to get something nice out of it.  NovaRO does a really good job with those and I really think this should be default to the servers using it.

WoE Guilds
- At the moment, there are not that much guilds planning to WoE. The biggest ones are Lemon and Show No Love, there's a few small ones but they're really small and I didn't see them in-game that much.

Apart from those, I think the server is pretty good and without any major bugs or issues.

About WoE guilds I think that the Battlegrounds Character's System will bring a lot more diversity to the competitive scenario. If you don't know it's a system that you can start a 95/65 character that will do everything (exp, gear, supply) through BG, but their gear is temporary (15 days afaik) and they won't have access to PvE and high-end gear (Proxy, Variants, etc). So those that wants more that BG offers will have to grind that tasty PvM.

That's it for now guys, I really tried to be unbiased on this review, so you guys can have a better view on what's the server really like. If I remember anything else I'll add it here.

Server Site: http://riseofmidgard.com/

Yuzo

Let's see where it is in three months. The community tore it apart last time, probs the same again.

tnznt

Quote from: Yuzo on Jan 12, 2017, 08:32 AM
Let's see where it is in three months. The community tore it apart last time, probs the same again.

Yea I heard that. Though, having TMW in the server is pretty hard if you care about it as they'll always try to find ways to get unfair advantages through 3pp and f*** up the server's economy/community and I think that's what happened last time.

smokiebear

would be helpful to put link to server @ first post

also what's TMW?

MelonNotFound

> Daily Login Box

One minute after logging in for the first time, I opened a daily box and got a coupon for bonus when buying cash point which will disappear after 16 hours. First minute and I already felt manipulated which is a very bad sign for me. I understand a server needs money to run and all but they could have made it less shady. Like the coupon doesn't need to have a time limit, at least not that quick, just like how coupon in real life usually work. I have not yet to open another daily box. Though I do like many of the unique features the server has.

Edit: Didn't help that the coupon description said I was "lucky" or "very lucky" to get it or something along the line which further the manipulative aspect.

tnznt

Quote from: smokiebear on Jan 12, 2017, 09:28 AM
would be helpful to put link to server @ first post

also what's TMW?

TMW is a russian guild that goes by the name of This Means War. They're (in)famous for their really good coding skills when it comes to Ragnarok cheats, so even if a server has a really good protection, they'll certainly find a way to bypass it with their own third party program coded to that specific server making the gameplay less enjoyable to other guilds not using said cheats.

AFAIK in Dawn of Midgard, they managed to get a f*** (like, really a lot of them) of alchemist bots using cultivate and created 4~5b out of nowhere so it kinda broke the server.

Tea_Pls

Quote from: MelonNotFound on Jan 12, 2017, 10:23 AM
> Daily Login Box

One minute after logging in for the first time, I opened a daily box and got a coupon for bonus when buying cash point which will disappear after 16 hours. First minute and I already felt manipulated which is a very bad sign for me. I understand a server needs money to run and all but they could have made it less shady. Like the coupon doesn't need to have a time limit, at least not that quick, just like how coupon in real life usually work. I have not yet to open another daily box. Though I do like many of the unique features the server has.

Edit: Didn't help that the coupon description said I was "lucky" or "very lucky" to get it or something along the line which further the manipulative aspect.

What you get is completely random, and they're thinking about switching out some of the less useful items. Sorry about your bad luck!

tnznt

Quote from: Tea_Pls on Jan 12, 2017, 11:44 AM
What you get is completely random, and they're thinking about switching out some of the less useful items. Sorry about your bad luck!

I do agree with him though, it really needs some tweaks. The daily login is supposed to be something that rewards you for logging in, giving out useless items just makes people rage. It could have some more useful and less useful range of items but all items should be useful, even if they're like, 5 blue potions.

MelonNotFound

Quote from: Tea_Pls on Jan 12, 2017, 11:44 AM

I know it's random but it gives a bad taste. I don't mind if I get nothing or simply useless item as I always have another chance everyday. But I got something that was supposed to be a reward and yet its whole existence is purely to manipulate me into spending money or I lose it. It makes me lose trust and trust for me is very important. They could have made it less aggressive (no timer, no description as if the item is rare or better don't make it part of the daily rewards, there should be better places for players to "win" these things). I have absolute nothing against owners trying to make money off their servers, I understand it's not free to develop and keep a server running, I'm easy on this, but the strategy used is just so not subtle at all and annoying. It's a bad impression, worse that it shows itself very early right when one just joined.

You can take this as a feedback or a criticism. Anyway just my opinion.

Yuzo

Quote from: tnznt on Jan 12, 2017, 10:39 AM
TMW is a russian guild that goes by the name of This Means War. They're (in)famous for their really good coding skills when it comes to Ragnarok cheats, so even if a server has a really good protection, they'll certainly find a way to bypass it with their own third party program coded to that specific server making the gameplay less enjoyable to other guilds not using said cheats.

AFAIK in Dawn of Midgard, they managed to get a f*** (like, really a lot of them) of alchemist bots using cultivate and created 4~5b out of nowhere so it kinda broke the server.

some people just can't play in good spirits. they always have to do whatever to gain advantages. It's an online game. a GAME. In real life games they encourage good sportsmanship and "playing in the spirit of the game". At least where I come from.

tuisai12

im posting this because i think i have found a good server again but well there will are really less than our fingers can count on that, I Quit the game because last day there's someone in the Clan,Party,Trade Chat that tells a rumor that "There's Not only Corrupt GM here but there's Guild of then in this Server so have fun grinding hunting for hours while their getting free stuffs" he said its real because one is a friend of his but he'll never tell who since he's still a friend,

after that it made think is it real or not, then i just ignore and continue doing my stuffs grinding leveling after some heavy grinding leveling and some farming it made me think again maybe its not worth investing time grinding hunting items for hours while other's are getting it for free that's such a let down then someone in chat said "wow this guild are rich guys" then that's light the fire on me(i might be wrong but its suspicious) about that guy who said there's a Guild of them, since most of the guild members have Costume Hat,Pet which is suspicious duno maybe their just a really rich commited guild.

here's another suspicious for me

server population never went up to 700 ever since considering Multi Clients(unlimited) is available lowest is 350 in sleeptimes with probably 150-200 or more merchants on vend + afk first jobs on prontera.

Random Events Participants = not more than 10 maybe their busy leveling or the population is really manipulated like there are also lots of afk first jobs just standing in the prontera.

i might be wrong that im just in denial stage but for me whether its true or not i wont take the chance that i'll waste my time on this server while others are having such an easy life on it. that's it

ill probably not play RO private server again and stay with my offline one from, since i'd imagine if im also in their situation that if i own a Good Server i'll be sure to play on it too and use my GM power(very carefully without getting caught) since i have an offline i found out that there are lots of ways to abuse this, great a custom item that noone know's about, create custom mob that drops items i want,custom NPC that noone knows,etc,etc. that's just me as a beginner what more can a VerySkilled one can do.

Aselaa

Quote from: tuisai12 on Jan 14, 2017, 06:25 AM
im posting this because i think i have found a good server again but well there will are really less than our fingers can count on that, I Quit the game because last day there's someone in the Clan,Party,Trade Chat that tells a rumor that "There's Not only Corrupt GM here but there's Guild of then in this Server so have fun grinding hunting for hours while their getting free stuffs" he said its real because one is a friend of his but he'll never tell who since he's still a friend,

after that it made think is it real or not, then i just ignore and continue doing my stuffs grinding leveling after some heavy grinding leveling and some farming it made me think again maybe its not worth investing time grinding hunting items for hours while other's are getting it for free that's such a let down then someone in chat said "wow this guild are rich guys" then that's light the fire on me(i might be wrong but its suspicious) about that guy who said there's a Guild of them, since most of the guild members have Costume Hat,Pet which is suspicious duno maybe their just a really rich commited guild.

here's another suspicious for me

server population never went up to 700 ever since considering Multi Clients(unlimited) is available lowest is 350 in sleeptimes with probably 150-200 or more merchants on vend + afk first jobs on prontera.

Random Events Participants = not more than 10 maybe their busy leveling or the population is really manipulated like there are also lots of afk first jobs just standing in the prontera.

i might be wrong that im just in denial stage but for me whether its true or not i wont take the chance that i'll waste my time on this server while others are having such an easy life on it. that's it

ill probably not play RO private server again and stay with my offline one from, since i'd imagine if im also in their situation that if i own a Good Server i'll be sure to play on it too and use my GM power(very carefully without getting caught) since i have an offline i found out that there are lots of ways to abuse this, great a custom item that noone know's about, create custom mob that drops items i want,custom NPC that noone knows,etc,etc. that's just me as a beginner what more can a VerySkilled one can do.

It's not worth much if you choose to not believe it, but there is no guild receiving free stuff. There are no special NPCs or mobs to hand out items. I take corruption seriously.

As for a guild with many costumes/pets, players that donated on our previous server were given their cash points back on Rise. It's our way of saying thanks for supporting us and continuing to do so.

tuisai12

"As for a guild with many costumes/pets, players that donated on our previous server were given their cash points back on Rise. It's our way of saying thanks for supporting us and continuing to do so."

i sure hope so that there are no Corrupt Guild that some GM are supporting.

but with that statement above im glad i decided to quit at an early time, "Give Their Cash Points Back"?  /omg(that's such a Nono for me fror a New Server) that's an instant massive advantange, that's why there are lots of Cash Points Sellers for Zeny from the start.. that could also be use as an excuse for if that guild is really a Corrupt One because noone will ever know/see if someone's getting free Cash Points.

if i knew that from the start i wouldnt even bother to check the server.

Hunyee

Quote from: tuisai12 on Jan 16, 2017, 12:54 AM
"As for a guild with many costumes/pets, players that donated on our previous server were given their cash points back on Rise. It's our way of saying thanks for supporting us and continuing to do so."

i sure hope so that there are no Corrupt Guild that some GM are supporting.

but with that statement above im glad i decided to quit at an early time, "Give Their Cash Points Back"?  /omg(that's such a Nono for me fror a New Server) that's an instant massive advantange, that's why there are lots of Cash Points Sellers for Zeny from the start.. that could also be use as an excuse for if that guild is really a Corrupt One because noone will ever know/see if someone's getting free Cash Points.

if i knew that from the start i wouldnt even bother to check the server.

Why are you trying to create unnecessary drama? It makes sense that people who donated for the previous server get their money's worth on the new and upgraded server as it is essentially a 2.0 of the first one.

Besides, there really is nothing pay2win in the cash shop except for battle manuals (which you get from daily login rewards or buy from other players in case you do not wish to donate).

I propably should not be triggered by this guy but I have to say that RoM has been THE best private RO server experience I've had to this date. The administration team does a great job overcoming challenges and are very competent in managing both the stability of the server as the ingame experience.

For me, RoM has given me a fresh experience with playing RO even though I must be now on my 7th or 8th year of playing this game.

PS. I have not donated a single penny in case you were wondering.

tuisai12

i have to disagree that no pay2win you said it yourself, Except Battle Manual, im sure you saw lots of Vend/Sellers of Battle Manuals that's not pay2win? add there the Broken no delay Mount which is also very profitable way to convert Cash Points to zeny? now that's not pay2win?? its a massive advantage from a FRESH/NEW Server that's just like pay2win.

tho idc about p2w like this kind eventually you can catch up to them if you know what you're doing

but with players who have Cash Points from the start since they Donated from a First Failed Server? what the point of "NEW/Fresh SERVER" people will expect everyone will have a fresh start from 0.

its fine im just disappointed i once thought this was one of the best server too but good thing i found out early that's we're almost being tricked that its a New Server but its not since its a 2.0 etc and people will carry their Cash Points from that previous failed server, and  with the online players, 500-600+ divide that to estimated multi clients and minus Merchant Vendors.

that's my POV,  go ahead risk wasting your time hunting grinding for Hours/Days/Weeks while some will just get it for free if the Rumors are true because i wont risk mine.. GL tho maybe there will be a 3.0 Server and you'll carry out your Months of Grinding to that Server.