DeityRO

Started by HAPPYSADPERSON, Sep 13, 2016, 07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAPPYSADPERSON

This is a review for DeityRO, a 50/50/25 American based server.

TL;DR - Fluffless server. The server's admins aren't retarded. PVM features are typical of any midrates (no penalties to use these features). Great WoE features such as allowing autopot+AHK, being able to MBK guildmates, and basic WoE accounts. Low population that hurts the economy and PVP/BG competition. WoE SE yet to start but 2+ guilds will be joining.

INTRO
Who am I?
I'm going to set this section aside to talk a little about myself, so you have an idea of who is writing this review.

To be straight to the point, I met the admin of this server about 5-6 years ago through a WoE guild. As far as our "friendship" (if you would call it that) goes, I have no idea who he is personally as I have never talked to him. I just know him as someone who plays champion in WoE. Now, I noticed his IGN through Reddit and we sort of "connected" again through that, but to this day I don't know who he REALLY is; I don't know if he's an a****** or the nicest guy I'll ever meet in my life. Who knows. Main point is that I am not being asked to write a review for this server because I was told to. I'm doing this on my own accord because I appreciate the server.

As far as my history with RO goes, I actually stopped playing RO around 2012 and became heavily invested in the Dota 2 community. So whatever drama that happened between then and now (such as ggRO, cookie, etc), I wasn't aware of them until about a week ago.

STAFF
The Controversial Helping Staff: Cookie and co.
I'm going to talk about the helping staff first because there seems to be some stigma surrounding Cookie and co. and it seems to have rubbed off on the server. As of right now, Cookie is no longer part of the staff because he suddenly disappeared a week before the server actually opened.

His "cronies" who I believe are Kira, Ulquiorra, Injustice, and possibly one more are still part of the staff, but their involvement seems to be as minimal as it gets. There hasn't been any controversial actions done by them as far as I've seen, and they have been professional with what they say. I know many of you will be unconvinced considering the amount of stuff Cookie+co. have done in the past, and you are free to maintain your opinion; however, the fact is that I have yet to see them do anything that suggests some kind of behind-the-scenes f**kery.

Also, none of these guys do in-game development as far as I know. Only one of the admins, Nitro, does.

The Admins
I value admin competency, because competency is important in whatever you do, especially in maintaining a RO server. The thing about being "competent" is that competency demands compromise, and this is something I fail to see in many server owners. They do not compromise because they believe their vision of the game is correct. When you have over thousands of players playing the same game as you are, how can you possibly think that your perspective and vision is the only "right" one? A living server requires a community, and an owner's selfishness only takes that community aspect away.

DeityRO has two admins: Cubano and Nitro. I believe Nitro has worked on some older servers before, but this is Cubano's first time working on a server. They do a great job of reading suggestions on the forums. Almost all of the suggestions have been replied to by one of the two admins, and any suggestions that have not been accepted or declined are still open to discussion. I have seen the admins strongly disagree with a suggestion before, but unlike many other admins, they do not simply move those suggestions to "declined." They do not bend to every wish of every player either, as they try to negotiate with the community in the event of a disagreement.

It's clear that the admins have a clear goal for this server. They listen, but they also don't bend over for the community as if they have no idea what they are doing and just wanted to make a server for some quick cash.

As an extra plus, I see Cubano chilling in the main town like everyday, and you can hit him up almost any time with questions.

SERVER
Stability
The server has had some stability issues about a week ago, but it seems to have gone away. The server goes down for maintenance every week, and Nitro posts a detailed changelog on what was changed soon after.

Community, Population, Economy
It's low. On average, the server counts about 40 people, including vendors and dual clients.
As a result, there isn't much of an economy, but that will get better as more people join. Server peaks at 75ish people.
There also isn't much of a community, as a result of the low population. I've talked to a few of the players on the discord channel, and they're all really nice. Can't say anything more than that though. Feel free to say hi to me; I won't bite.

Server Events
Nothing really other than your typical automated events.

Server Features
This server is pretty much fluffless as far as PVM goes. It has the usual midrate commands (you don't get penalized for using them), and there aren't any kind of special events or AFK features like mining.
It has a unique(?) fragment system where mobs can drop fragments at a low drop rate that can be turned in for certain items such as AD bombs or Orlean's Gloves. I haven't seen this system on another server, so I'm calling it unique.

It has a LOT of convenient features for WoE such as being able to MBK or Sharpshoot a guildmate without having to use another guild. 3PPs (3rd party programs) are allowed for WoE and BG. Also, there are basic WoE accounts that can be used to only WoE and BG. Instant level 99/70.

Lots of kewl hats. If you don't see one you like, try suggesting it on the forums.

WoE and BG Competition
BG is also affected by the low population. It goes off about once a day or two, which is unfortunate.

WoE SE hasn't started, so I have no idea about the competition. I know that at least 2 guilds will be WoEing here, and possibly 2 more.

Yuzo

I was enjoying your review until I got to the part about Cookie.
His Cronies are there with him?
Red flag, red flag!
GG, stopped reading.

HAPPYSADPERSON

Quote from: Yuzo on Sep 13, 2016, 07:18 AM
I was enjoying your review until I got to the part about Cookie.
His Cronies are there with him?
Red flag, red flag!
GG, stopped reading.

Ya, that's always going to be something that bugs people. Since you didn't read through all of it, Cookie was kicked from the staff because he disappeared.

Raikon

Quote from: HAPPYSADPERSON on Sep 13, 2016, 07:24 AM
Cookie was kicked from the staff because he disappeared.

Or so they claim. Cookie could be trying to wipe his name clean with this, maybe not. We'll see in time.
I'd remain cynical about this, especially with his friends still in staff.

Cubano

I appreciate the review a lot man, thank you :D

And to clear up one detail, I have known Injustic (Humpy) much longer than Cookie has. /no1

rip deityRO

Prism~

Very fair review of the server. I'd just like to say, I've been around the server forum since before opening and have noticed no activity from Cookie weeks before launch, and very little if any activity before that. I think it's unfair for people to hold it against the server when he's clearly gone, anyone with an inch of common sense can see that, and can also see that Cubano and Nitrous have clearly denounced his name from the project. People can't find anything else to complain about because, whether they like to admit it or not, this is the best quality server out right now.

I absolutely hate how admin names > the actual quality of a server now days.

Kensei

I'd say the admins will know how to make SE WoE interesting as that was their most favorite thing to do back then when they were still active players.

Good luck for players and admins

Bottles

Same here, I haven't seen/heard from Cookie in quite a while. The staff here otherwise is cool and understanding, cubano and nitro spend a lot of time online there.

The server connection issues has been resolved and hasn't gone down since.

They have a a pretty unique Fragment system, the idea being that each mob drops different kinds of fragments. Each type you'd collect 2-6 in order to trade in for it's reward, mostly being something similar to what you've been killing. Example; toy soldiers give you marching band hat fragments, or fragments for grape juices. They also have costume hats being dropped by their respective mobs as well, like Anubis' drops costume anubis hats, or porings for costume poring hats. You can also trade in your costumes for deity coins to then buy more stuff. Overall the server has great potential as a strong MR, it's only problem is in the population.