Ragnarok Sarah Server

Started by rap8rap, Feb 21, 2016, 02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rap8rap

Hi guys, currently enjoying this server and I decided to share with you some of the things I experienced.

- HOW I FOUND THE SERVER? -

Well, as a simple average gamer, I just decided to look for stuff in gTOP100 and found this on the landing page. I was curious, lots of hits and is squeezed in the top 10 between MapleStory and WOW servers. There's ForsakenRO too, but I'm looking for an almost-Vanilla feel of RO, so I decided to go with Sarah. Another thing to note is, the Renewal changes and multiple job classes kind of makes me confused, so I tried to stay away from the other ROs listed.

- REVIEW PROPER -
based on my understanding of importance

STABILITY (connection, performance) 8/10.
Spoiler
As far as I've learned, servers are based on US West Coast. I was kind of expecting some lag like iRO but the only lag I got was during peak hours, which is normal. They have a couple of proxies available depending on certain locations, which will help reduce lag. The proxies also serve as a barrier for DDoS attacks (if proxy1 gets attacked, proxy 4 is still working). Game performance is nice, but maybe RO is just a little too old. Some people say they can't play full screen on Win10, but man, why would you even play RO fullscreen on what, 1080P 20+ inch monitor? Lol. Just make sure you disable Mouse Exclusive in setup.exe if you plan on multi-tasking.
[close]
tl;dr Good client, good connection. If you're lagging hard, you need to check on your end.

HACKING PROTECTION 9/10.
Spoiler
Gepard Shield. As far as I know, it's the best for ROs out there. Dual client is impossible, virtual machine is impossible (tried every possible config strings and registry edits), plugins/add-ons doesn't work.
[close]

COMMUNITY 2/10.
Spoiler
I actually have to revamp the community review because of the current trend in this server. Pros is, the community is large, you can easily find a party early-to-mid levels, a bit hard on higher levels because that's where the bad blood comes in. Trash talking, KS, Skill Abuse, Griefing, you name it, this server's got it. I guess it goes with the high population. The admins try their best to make this server friendly, but they really can't control what kind of people comes in this server. I can count in my fingers the days that I didn't experience any kind of negativity on this server (mostly, early levels), and take note, I have been playing since official opening, Feb 2016 (today is June 2016). Most players don't respect each other, most players even harass the admins whenever there's a problem. I think I'm better off with a server with mid pop (around 500 active) that has a community that respects each other.
[close]
tl;dr Lots of people, good and bad. Lots of bad blood on higher level maps.

ECONOMY 8/10.
Spoiler
Zeny is attainable and reasonable for most items. What I love about near-vanilla RO experience is that NPC items are actually usable! Every item counts! The lance that you saved up? That's a very nice investment! NPC Manteau? Oh man every def really counts! Upgrade NPC items? SURE! You'll really go step by step on the items which is nice. Donation costumes are untradable. Donation boxes like Kafra box, Gym Pass, Field Manual and Bubblegum box are tradable.
[close]
tl;dr Nice economy, reasonably priced equips even for starting players. No overpowered donations.

MANAGEMENT 10/10.
Spoiler
Management is very responsive in the forums. Report a player, get enough screenies, and you see them get muted in a matter of minutes. The griefer I reported got muted in less than 30minutes after I reported it on the forums. Management listens to the players, but still, there's your usual lot of players who wants everything to be free. Nothing new there. Management is also looking into players comments before implementing something new.
[close]
tl;dr Good management. Easy to reach compared to other servers.

PVP ?/10. No comment because I'm not a PVP guy. :P

- FINAL NOTES -

PROS:
-> If you want a low rate server with a high active population, this is a good one. PARTY UP!
-> A good time-sink when you're bored of the current MMOs
-> This is REAL NO OVERPOWERED DONATIONS. I see most servers list this but very few stay true to the word.
-> Good connection. I live in SEA, server is in US West, and I barely encounter lag.
-> Good old classic RO, probably better. If you remember how RO was in its official form when it first released, this is it.

CONS:
-> Most databases are not 100% accurate for this server since this features OLD RO. You might have to ask around in the game for some players or even search through old RO archives. They have their own database where you can check mob spawns and drop lists. Vendor list also available.
-> Very toxic community especially at mid-high levels.

Seems like my views now are final. So I'll probably not update my review anymore, unless there's a really major change.

EDIT:
- Review updated as of 2/25/2016. Didn't know there are others as well who are playing. Let's have fun guys!
- Review updated as of 3/1/2016. Lowered score for community at high levels.
- Review updated as of 5/21/2016. Lowered community score again. Set points on economy. Added tl;dr on long section reviews. Didn't expect 10,000+ views on this thread. Let's have fun guys!
- Review updated as of 6/5/2016. I think this will be my last active day in the server. I have some decent end-game gears anyway. Might be staying just for events but will not be that active anymore. You play to relieve stress, and not to add more. It's been a nice run.

hyde89

My personal review

STABILITY 6/10 - yes a lowrate server that have 1800++ player the thing that concern me is the lagness and constant DC whlie playing and yes I do have good internet speed and previously i can play irogaming server smooth with no lagness  /o

HACKING PROTECTION 9/10. - so far no hack or bot spoted so ill give a good mark for this  /no1

COMMUNITY 10/10. - active community you can easly find party almost in every major town like Payon & Aldebaran  /o

ECONOMY 9/10. - i would say classic server have the best economy due to no zeny farmer, no mavka and no sleeper /no1
MANAGEMENT 10/10. - good responsive management, respon less than 1 hour  /no1

PVP 8/10. - active PVP comunity 5-6 player on PVP room  /gg

PS: the only problem with this server is stll in episode 4 even most player allready make a fast progress, most player already boring(in my guild that is)  with limited quest, class choice, hunting map and hunting gear hope admin will fasten the time line of episode progress  /swt

Messiah

Personal Review as a player.

Stability 8/10 - Server base on US I experience minimal Lag but the good side admins are trying their best to fix this issue.

Hacking Protection 10/10 - the server use Gepard Shield (Most popular Game shield now). this shield always update the protection.

Community 10/10 - the community is 1.8k and counting.

Economy 9/10 - with 1.8k+ players the players are good in maintaining the economy :D

Management 9/10 - GM are fast in replying some concerns as well as maintaining the game RMT free they ban all account doing rmt :D

PvP 7/10 - out of 1.8k + people only 5-7 people go to pvp as I understand players still hunting items and equips.

Personal review
I never thought that this server will have 1.8k+ players at first I doubt it but I guess not.
GM are active in Forum and fast replying in some concern
they are implementing new features to add in the game.
they have their own Monster and Item Database in their site as well as EP 4 World Map.

kmart

Quote from: hyde89 on Feb 21, 2016, 10:35 PM
My personal review

STABILITY 6/10 - yes a lowrate server that have 1800++ player the thing that concern me is the lagness and constant DC whlie playing and yes I do have good internet speed and previously i can play irogaming server smooth with no lagness  /o

HACKING PROTECTION 9/10. - so far no hack or bot spoted so ill give a good mark for this  /no1

COMMUNITY 10/10. - active community you can easly find party almost in every major town like Payon & Aldebaran  /o

ECONOMY 9/10. - i would say classic server have the best economy due to no zeny farmer, no mavka and no sleeper /no1
MANAGEMENT 10/10. - good responsive management, respon less than 1 hour  /no1

PVP 8/10. - active PVP comunity 5-6 player on PVP room  /gg

PS: the only problem with this server is stll in episode 4 even most player allready make a fast progress, most player already boring(in my guild that is)  with limited quest, class choice, hunting map and hunting gear hope admin will fasten the time line of episode progress  /swt

based on my review on pvp mostly it's active sometimes i came across with 10 to 12 people inside killing each other randomly. yah i hope they release the new episodes as early as possible.

crishel22

STABILITY - 8/10 Experiencing lag on main town. I suppose this is because of the population which is kinda understandable. Minimal disconnection experienced as of it's running time.
HACKING PROTECTION - 9/10 Best protection for ragnarok out on the market. nothing else to say.
COMMUNITY - 10/10 No bots, pure people. Afks on town though. Good server to start making new friends or reuniting with old guildmates.
ECONOMY - 8/10 You need to loot everything for you to survive lol. No imbalanced donate items. Pure classic. Anti RMT server.
MANAGEMENT - 8/10 Mods are active on forums and in game. Expect help on the soonest time.
PVP - 6/10 Not a strong point as of this moment. Quite normal since it's a starting server and most of the people are leveling/hunting. I'll be keeping an eye on this one. See you on izlude PVP! :D

/ok /no1 /gg

personakeeper

STABILITY [8/10]: A low-rate with active population, I only experience lag on market place at Payon since all the vendors place there, leveling with effect on and spam of mobs. I don't really experience any disconnection and can online whole day.  /lv

HACKING PROTECTION [9/10]: Gepard serves well to this server and having a security features inside the game.  /o

COMMUNITY [10/10]: No Autovend and No dual login with average of 900 - 1800+, you can easily find party members along the way. Friendly community helping each other./ok

ECONOMY [7/10]: Since the server is new (2 weeks now), we're still on the process of making the balance economy since all the players need basic need (equip/supplies).  /ho

MANAGEMENT [10/10]: Admin/GM are hands-on to their task. Maintaining the balance and fast response to the need of the community.  /no1

PVP [7/10]: I've seen players going PvP every hour, but since all the players and new grinding on leveling first before going into battle.  /gg

Pure Classic experience  /ok
It's like a Time Machine   /lv

manukeat

STABILITY [9/10]: sometimes just get disconnect from server during afk for hour reward point =)

HACKING PROTECTION [10/10]: nothing to say about this , great protection =)

COMMUNITY [10/10]: at least people will reply your message after read =)

ECONOMY [8/10]: still in under controlling , well done ! not much server can being like this =)

MANAGEMENT [10/10]: friendly at first , responsibility at second =)

PVP [5/10]: its still not about time to WOE & PVP =)
WANT TO MAKE A FRIEND WITH ME ? LET'S P.M ME =)

gipste

HOW I FOUND THE SERVER?
Well to put it simply, I've been transferring from server to server hoping that I could find something that would pique my interest. I found this on the Facebook Sponsored advertisement on my timeline and noticed how the players are excited to play this (before OBT), well I'm a low rate server fan myself. Then the story goes on...

REVIEW

Stability (8/10) - My current ISP doesn't allow idle connection so it purposely disconnect my Client to the Server, preventing my goal to save Hourly Reward Points. Luckily I have come up with a solution, I'm using a VPN to connect which compensate the disconnection issue with a delay. But now, with their latest patch, they allowed the client to connect to different proxy servers which is a good thing.

Client/Server Security (9/10) - They are using Gepard, a reliable game guard equipped with the latest updates and protection. It has dual client prevention, grf file integrity check and disables running in a virtual machine. I tried using a vps, edited some registry but still I can't run this on a vm.

Community (10/10) - It is a party based server, you can meet and befriend other players in your party, chat and mingle with other resting players from Payon and Aldebaran. A very large community of 1800+ players, you can't possibly be bored.

Economy (9/10) - Well the server is still young so does the economy. Every zeny counts, if you can't grind you won't survive. The best thing that I liked on this server is the donation policy which utilize usable items instead of equips that can break gameplay balance.

Management (10/10) - The GMs and Staffs are very friendly and responsive to messages especially in the forums and facebook.  They are not biased with the players and responsive to player reports. It's good to know that they are improving the server frequently based on the players suggestions and concerns.

PVP (5/10) - Like I said the server is still young but you can find players entering PVP maps without decent equips.  /heh PVP just for fun.

-------
Well for a new server I'll give this server a rating of 8.5. There are so many thing to upgrade and improve but it doesn't have to be in a rush. It is the goal of this server, to go slowly but surely. There is one phrase I'd like to describe this server it is "Bring back the nostalgic memories"

Good day.

Disruptor

Quote from: rap8rap on Feb 21, 2016, 02:43 PM
CONS:
-> Too strong profanity filter
-> Too strict hacking protection (I mean c'mon keybinds should at least work right? Hehe)
-> New server. We all know the possibilities of new servers in the future right?
-> Most databases are not 100% accurate for this server since this features OLD RO. You might have to ask around in the game for some players or even search through old RO archives.
-> There are broadcasts that can't be removed from your chat window.

I'll update this review whenever there are changes to my views. Thanks for reading and I hope this helps! Any questions, I can answer it whenever I see it. :P

The manner system (profanity filter) has been disabled whilst they work on sorting it out. Also the DB is generally quite accurate. You just need to make sure you need to multiply the drop rate accordingly when you check the % on there DB. And finally the broadcasts have now stopped for PvP, they just need to allow a option to disabled automated server broadcasts, or at least lower it a little.

Im absolutely loving this server so far personally and will be posting a review shortly.

rap8rap

Quote from: Disruptor on Feb 24, 2016, 07:55 PM
The manner system (profanity filter) has been disabled whilst they work on sorting it out. Also the DB is generally quite accurate. You just need to make sure you need to multiply the drop rate accordingly when you check the % on there DB. And finally the broadcasts have now stopped for PvP, they just need to allow a option to disabled automated server broadcasts, or at least lower it a little.

Im absolutely loving this server so far personally and will be posting a review shortly.

Yeah looks like it has been disabled on the latest update. DB is different from RMS, even if you set it in pre-renewal. This is as classic as it gets. Good thing they have their own item database on their website, as well as a monster database. Vendor listing available as well, but so far, no buying list.

What I like about this server as well is the admins are very active. RMT, harassment, bug reports are dealt with within the day.

CallMeSky

Personal Review as a player.

Stability 9/10 - Sometimes Lag even the Server is US Base(All Server), But what most i like is admin are very active to fix all the issues.

Hacking Protection 10/10 -  Gepard Shield (Most popular Game shield now). Happy and Contented.

Community 10/10 - Player's are very active and Friendly :) Sometimes it reaches 1.9k :)

Economy 10/10 - Best Economy Since Classic.

Management 10/10 - GM's are friend and always active, no RMT which is good to the server.

PvP 8/10 -  Cause some other player are still looking for their equipment.

Personal review

My time was not wasted, i enjoying playing this server, and i never really thought that this server can me it 1.9 active player (No Autovend, Dual, Etc). GM's are very supportive and active. Implementing what is really on the Ep. 4. and still updating :). Having Their own database was really impress me a lot..

~ Come and Join now :) Let's Play Together.

D3rwish

Nice Reviews buuuut you guys forgot the most important information, the language, its an Pinoy Server.
This is no racist, we started this Server(a team of 7) but theres no reason to play if u cant unterstand that language  /sob

Disruptor

Quote from: D3rwish on Feb 26, 2016, 03:04 AM
Nice Reviews buuuut you guys forgot the most important information, the language, its an Pinoy Server.
This is no racist, we started this Server(a team of 7) but theres no reason to play if u cant unterstand that language  /sob

Just wanted to correct you regarding the "its full of pinoys" approach you have.

There is loads of people from the US and EU that play including Brazil. I am a Guild master of a guild which has ONLY none PH English speakers which is full, I already have a list of people to PM when we expand. YOU HAVE to speak English in main/ recruit & market channels. The GM's are enforcing a English speaking community. The forum is mainly English speaking.

The only time you find people speaking tagalog is in normal game chat which is 30% of the time.The rest speak English. All I have to say is "Speak English please" and they will.

Im not pinoy im from the UK. Sounds to me you have just judged it from a quick glance perspective from the launch or closed beta. It really isn't as you say.

kmart

Quote from: D3rwish on Feb 26, 2016, 03:04 AM

i'm sorry but your assumption is wrong mate. there are assorted number of nationality playing in this server from us based players, indonesia, malaysia, brunei, europe and many more not only pinoys play on this server.

D3rwish

I really didnt said "its full of pinoy" there are always some others too but after playing two days(17hours each) we never met players speaking english. Its just our opinion after this two days or the english ones only speaking on guild or party chat  /hmm