Ragnarok Online Black Dawn

Started by ~~T~~, Jul 31, 2008, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~~T~~

So, I've been on this server for about 2 Weeks, firstly, it seemed like a default server, I knew I wouldn't stay there for much time, but I gave it a try anyways, not like I'm bored or something. I downloaded everything, join the server, well...

Stability: 9.3/10
-Pretty stable, never lagged really hard or crashed, still, sometimes the server start getting slow, but it's just small lag(Can't say the same about the forums...). I don't know if this is either my connection problem or the server problem, but sometimes, melee monsters(Eg: Male Thiefbug), starts hitting me from afar, yet, when I click him, I walk all the way to him, and he teleports to my old position and stalks me, weird huh?

Availability:  10/10
-Never received any message saying the server was off, never seen it off too.

Class Balance: 9.2/10
-All classes have been revamped in some way, while some got skills that were only for one class, some got a mass buff on their skill, allowing it to go up to level 15, I didn't tested it, but the idea is already pretty awesome. For anyone who played WoW they will find the skilltree comparable to WoW talent tree, when you level Sword, it will open a wide array of skills only for 1H Sword, while when you level 2H Sword, it will open a tree to 2H Swords. Most Skilltrees have been edited to enforce a strong point at each tree (Ex: While 2H have more damage, 1H Sword/1H Spear allow you to use Block LV5), also, to go futher on your skill tree, you must archieve some job levels, this prevent people getting ultimate skills at low levels.
Another thing I noticed that remember me of WoW is the change done on the classes job bonus stats, so they have a fixed characteristic that everyone have, example is a knight, at level 100 Job, get 50 VIT, and a Blacksmith at the same job get 40 DEX.
Since you swap from novice to knight, you can be what you want from the beggining, without having to worry about passing trought the slow leveling of 1rst Classes.
Last but not least, there is a custom class called Hexblade, based on a ROBD RP Character, it is a fusion of a melee class with magic skill traits, much like a Mageknight or MagicAssassin. It get power from all other class skill, but it is definetly unique. While not very overpowered, it allows you to deal mass amount of damage, but at the bitter cost of having not many natural defense or defensive skills.
This is one of the server that made me feel interested in playing RO again, if wasn't the...

Community + Game Masters
While I have seem some player/GM at the forum, there is nobody online. Most Forum posts are months, there are just merchants AT at the server and the forum is basically dead, with just a few of the people talking. That's the only downfall I found on the server, I loved all features, everything was fine and fun, but I have no one to play around, most of my friends just play on high populated server, so calling my friends isn't even a chance. It's the same problem I found on MouRO, there was 22 Players on, I said "Wow cool, must be a party", but all of them were AT Merchants, just some guys were on, and they were way too high level(150). I guess good server features and community can't just walk together on the same server...
I didn't really played a long time or meet a lot of people or anything like that in this server, but since it's one of the servers that I found interesting, I felt like leaving at least my opinion about it.

Majora_younglink

XD

I remember the day when a whole bunch of Mou players decided to put up merchants. That was fun. And the population is still low but meh.

~~T~~

Quote from: Majora_younglink on Jul 31, 2008, 07:34 PM
XD

I remember the day when a whole bunch of Mou players decided to put up merchants. That was fun. And the population is still low but meh.
Yeah, someone later told me that it was a prank, but I haven't been online for a time, it might have someone on now.

lrellok

Sry bout that, allow me to explain. 

The server is run by one person, Eagle falcon, who works 50 + hrs a week at a computer repair store IRL.  So he is pretty busy.  Also, you would have joined around July 15?  That was right before a MAJOR update of the skill trees to include the rebirth skills, so everyone was in a holding pattern waiting for the update. 

Lastly, ROBD is a RP server, with one event a week.  Its on Sunday nights starting around 9 pm CST (Midwest time USA) and it is a gas.  I have seen it run till 5 am the Monday morning or longer.  If you want to see how populated the server is, log on for the event, cause that is when everyone is there.  Otherwise, most ppl have level capped their characters long ago (the server has been up for 2 years now) and are not on much except to get a card they might need.  Honestly I have seen events with 20+ ppl on, that is when things happen on ROBD.

Seriously, bring your friends here, we would love to have a bit of growth, and the more ppl we have, the closer we get to being a high pop server. 
The most dangerous thing a GM can do is to play NPC combatants as if they have brains, goals, and the desire to remain alive.
-Abulafia from WOTC boards

I have not failed, I have simply found 10,000 ways that don't work. -Thomas Edison

~~T~~

Quote from: lrellok on Aug 09, 2008, 08:55 PM
Sry bout that, allow me to explain. 
You don't need to sorry D: !

QuoteThe server is run by one person, Eagle falcon, who works 50 + hrs a week at a computer repair store IRL.  So he is pretty busy.  Also, you would have joined around July 15?  That was right before a MAJOR update of the skill trees to include the rebirth skills, so everyone was in a holding pattern waiting for the update. 
I know, I don't mean to pressurize anyone. I was just pointing out my opinion :< .

QuoteLastly, ROBD is a RP server, with one event a week.  Its on Sunday nights starting around 9 pm CST (Midwest time USA) and it is a gas.  I have seen it run till 5 am the Monday morning or longer.  If you want to see how populated the server is, log on for the event, cause that is when everyone is there.  Otherwise, most ppl have level capped their characters long ago (the server has been up for 2 years now) and are not on much except to get a card they might need.  Honestly I have seen events with 20+ ppl on, that is when things happen on ROBD.
:O I'm not much into RP, I enjoy, sometimes I play it, but I'm not a very RPing person. I have seen Grimlock online, but since I don't know how RP rules apply into Ragnarok Online world, I was afraid of PMing you. I haven't seen too many people, might just be the time I log in, since my GMT is very different.