Ragnarok Frontier

Started by Hoon, Jul 21, 2010, 05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoon

UPDATED: 21/7/2010

Hello everyone! Here's my review on a great RO server called Ragnarok Frontier.
I've been playing RO for 6 years now and recently began my journey at Ragnarok Frontier.. here's my review on the server.

RAGNAROK FRONTIER
RAGNAROK FRONTIER is one of the longest running RO servers out there also holding the #1 spot right now for Low Rate servers right here at RMS.

* Episode 13.1 - Ash Vacuum
   * Auto trade, and Auto loot (party & player)
   * 6x for Non-Transcendent, 4x for Transcendent for Base & Job (No EXP loss on death), maximum level 99/70 (base/job)
   * 4x Drop Rates
   * Teleporter (Furies Inc.) to major towns and dungeons in Rune-Midgard
   * Battlegrounds, a new PvP game system (Tierra Valley & Flavius: 12 vs 12)
   * Memorial Dungeon, instanced dungeons (Sealed Shrine & Endless Tower)
   * Item and Monster database accessible by users
   * Mercenary, and Pet Bonus System implemented
   * Balanced Skill, and Stat Reset available
   * Mail, Auctions and Marriages for Players
   * Official & Monthly Custom Quests
   * PvP (Player vs. Player) in most Fields, and Dungeons (no PvP in parties)
   * Job Changer for 1st, 2nd and extended classes.
(source: http://www.xenophase.net/rf/index.php)

Also worth noting:

- Balanced donations
Mainly buff scrolls and food boxes. No game balance breaking items at all!
- Avg. population 150+ and growing!

REVIEW:

Server/game play stability: 9/10
Gameplay is top quality. The server runs on Aegis which means it's running on the original RO emulator which the game was made for. Therefor running as intended and having close to no bugs.

The server is available 24/7. Downtimes (updating etc) are always being told beforehand so players can be ready for one to occur. Since I've started playing I have not once experienced lag or any other connectivity issues. Pretty much the most stable server out there!

Administration: 9/10
The administration is very friendly and helpful. They are very much capable of running a server on a professional mannerism. The team also has developers who's work can be seen in-game in such commands as @autoloot and @autotrade. They work hard for this game and it shows.

Player community: 8/10

I want to be honest about this because I think it's important. For players from US, there are plenty of players from your timezone and they are active and helpful. You are guaranteed to find a party or hunting partner. There is also an NPC which you can use to broadcast a server wide shout-out for a Leveling/Hunting/BG/KVM party.

But for European players as myself, the community is a bit smaller. Best way to meet people is by using the Forums at the RF Website and arrange a meeting there. :)

Another great way to get in to the community is by the Mentor System. The Administration team has launched a Mentor system which is basically your personal guide to the server. It's a system where new players to the server get help in knowledge and perhaps slaving from the old existing veteran players. This is obviously very helpful for new players to get started!

The average population, I'd say, is somewhere around 150+. Doubled during WoE times.

Economy: 6/10
The reason why I'm giving Economy such a low rating is because it is in a weird state. The server recently got active again with new players starting to play but there are veteran players who have played for 5 years or more. This means there are high end gear on the market but basic PVP gear like Hydra Cards, Thara Frog Cards etc are harder to find. Obviously this is not an real issue because when new players join - the economy will balance.

Total rating: 9/10
If you are looking for an low rate, stable, user friendly and fun server with a nice community. This is your server. I have loved every second I've spent in-game and I know that more is to come. The best server out of all the servers I've played!

So what are you waiting for...

http://www.xenophase.net/rf/index.php

hsui

I feel like this is an advertisement. Complete with cute little banner.

Schtauffen

Maybe it was made by an old time RO player who played on Ragnarok Frontier before the RMS forums were up. RF is indeed one of the oldest servers around here and they never wiped from what I know...

x_x

Hoon

Quote from: Schtauffen on Jul 21, 2010, 08:29 AM
Maybe it was made by an old time RO player who played on Ragnarok Frontier before the RMS forums were up. RF is indeed one of the oldest servers around here and they never wiped from what I know...

Hi, I only started playing on Ragnarok Frontier recently.

To ones saying that it the review looks more like an ad. After reading my review again, I understand where you come from. I guess it could be the banner?

It's not my intention for the text to work as an advertisement but rather as an review of a good server. My agenda for writing the review is simply that I like the server and would like more people to join the fun.

Cheers!

Edit: I edited the original post a bit to make it feel more like an review!

Ret-ro

Frankly, the guy who runs Ragnarok Frontier is probably the single most accomplished amateur ragnarok online programmer on the scene today. While I don't agree with every one of his decisions, like the one to leave grape juice in indefinitely (which itself is a testament to the server's stability, that change was made on official servers over 5 years ago), he is certainly a shining paragon to which all other ragnarok enthusiasts should aspire. It also has the single best community of any server I've ever played. It's absurd. The first post sounds like an advert because it's impossible not to fall in love with the place.

protato

Quote from: Ret-ro on Aug 02, 2010, 09:05 PM
Frankly, the guy who runs Ragnarok Frontier is probably the single most accomplished amateur ragnarok online programmer on the scene today. While I don't agree with every one of his decisions, like the one to leave grape juice in indefinitely (which itself is a testament to the server's stability, that change was made on official servers over 5 years ago), he is certainly a shining paragon to which all other ragnarok enthusiasts should aspire. It also has the single best community of any server I've ever played. It's absurd. The first post sounds like an advert because it's impossible not to fall in love with the place.

lol no while ill agree the head gm is decent at programming and coding, he doesnt know s*** about the actual game itself which causes him to make a lot of stupid changes that differ from iro which he thinks are good ideas, but none of them are. i'm not kidding you, he's said some hilarious things that show his knowledge of the game.

he also basically runs the server with an iron fist meaning he'll ban anyone he wants at any time without reason or warning.

tbh unless you like playing in a nazi regime better to just stay away from this one and find a much nicer server that isn't overrun by illegitimate mvp cards and illegitimate +10 god items (on a non-god item server) that were sold from gms to players, and mvp cards players to players (with the gms knowledge).

Gankz

Well overall after starting I'm finding it to be quite nice. The playerbase is extremely welcoming and friendly, and I like that it's run on Aegis.

potsun

A 5+ year old economy isn't very welcoming to new players

Gankz

It is actually, just about all the staple items are below 1 mil, which is surprising for such an old economy.

potsun

No eluniums around
Population is not high enough for a good supply of cards
Too many established old players who hold much of the wealth of the server

well I wouldn't know what you'd call staple

Gohkin

Illegit gears still floating around such as

Most likely others are still around.
Wat? I thot there were no God items in RF. Uh oh spaghetti o's.

Chimichanga

That screenie is legit cuz i remember Makaveli. As for rf, I'd argue that it is 6/10 server. It can be a 9, but the history of the server is messed up because of a certain gm....

Peter

Hoon:

I'm glad your experience on Ragnarok Frontier has been stellar. Thank you for making this balanced post about the community, and the way the server operates. It's very much appreciated. I hope that you are still enjoying yourself on Ragnarok Frontier!

potsun:

If you have concerns, or ideas on how to improve the economy (from your point of view) please contact a staff member. Auto vending has tremendous helped the community and it is relatively easy for low level players to obtain gear, via vending or straight give aways from veteran players. The whole point of the Mentoring system is to foster a sense of community and to help out new players that join the server. As a veteran on Ragnarok Frontier, maybe you should consider doing more to help out the community?

protato, Gohkin, Chimichanga:

It's unfortunate that you have not had a great experience on Ragnarok Frontier, with the community or staff members. In certain cases, it is because you have cheated or trolled in the game (Gohkin, protato) and have been removed. In other cases, things just didn't work out. That's unfortunate. Remember that the staff team is composed of more than one person, making a decision as a whole. If you do not raise your concerns with staff members we are not able to resolve them.

Thank you,

- Peter
Xenophase staff
Ragnarok Frontier: AEGIS Epi 13.1 Ash Vacuum · No unbalanced GOD quest items · Auto loot, Auto trade · 9/9/4 Rates · http://www.xenophase.net/rf

jerryw

Prepare for the descriptive tl;dr

Ok... firstly, stop being an ignorant dumbasses because you or someone linked to you got banned for cheating, while people who bought items in the past are still roaming.

You have to remember the facts, RF started years ago with no income; the server started off with donations. As everyone here knows, RF is probably, if not the highest quality Private RO server out there. The service is expensive to run, and with no income, Xenophase and RF would just be gone. SO let me ask you this in a political fashion; would you rather destroy one of the best online communities out there, or let it live by slightly corrupting it? "A little evil for a greater good" kinda vibe if you get what I'm saying. Now that the Cash Item system is in place, no items are longer sold on Ragnarok Frontier, and many "God Items" were and are being removed from the server.

Regardless of which server you go in, regardless of which workplace you are in, regardless of which country you are in, there will unfortunately always be something that is corrupt (majority of the time). So stop trying to act like you know better than the man who's been behind RF since the start, and who can see all. He is trying to create a FUN AND ENJOYABLE community for as many people as possible, and imo is doing an excellent job. I'm not trying to suck up to Peter here, yes we all know he can be an a****** at times, but overall he is a very fair man, and so are the other Xenophase staff members.

I'm going to be perfectly honest here, In the past I purchased a Ghostring Carded armor off another player, who probably got it from another player, etc etc which originated from the original owner back in 2004 or god knows when. The second the staff found out, I was banned for 2 weeks. Why 2 weeks? Because before the banning I gave my ghostring carded armor to Peter, rather then lets say selling it to someone else, and then posting s*** like you do all over the place to get back at him. Also, overall I've added to the community, where as clearly you probably haven't done jack s*** but cause trouble. Although I cheated in RF, i paid my punishment.

Also just to add some background info on Peter, he is highly politically educated and is a democratic person, and his actions on RF prove this, so calling him a Nazi just doesn't make sense. His staff bans people because they have broken rules in the TOS, or are doing things which destroy the community, and the majority DO agree with the decisions which the staff have made, so quit wasting everyone's time and giving false biased negative information about RF. If you're going to be biased and hate on Peter, at least tell everyone the truth.

K now I'm just rambling... hi :D

Ragnarok Frontier is great, if you guys want unbiased truthful information, I will tell you everything I know about it. Good and bad.

protato

Quote from: Peter on Aug 24, 2010, 06:37 PM
Hoon:

I'm glad your experience on Ragnarok Frontier has been stellar. Thank you for making this balanced post about the community, and the way the server operates. It's very much appreciated. I hope that you are still enjoying yourself on Ragnarok Frontier!

potsun:

If you have concerns, or ideas on how to improve the economy (from your point of view) please contact a staff member. Auto vending has tremendous helped the community and it is relatively easy for low level players to obtain gear, via vending or straight give aways from veteran players. The whole point of the Mentoring system is to foster a sense of community and to help out new players that join the server. As a veteran on Ragnarok Frontier, maybe you should consider doing more to help out the community?

protato, Gohkin, Chimichanga:

It's unfortunate that you have not had a great experience on Ragnarok Frontier, with the community or staff members. In certain cases, it is because you have cheated or trolled in the game (Gohkin, protato) and have been removed. In other cases, things just didn't work out. That's unfortunate. Remember that the staff team is composed of more than one person, making a decision as a whole. If you do not raise your concerns with staff members we are not able to resolve them.

Thank you,

- Peter
Xenophase staff

hahaha what about the illegitimate god item in that screenie big guy?

thought rf was a no god items server, that's pretty strange.

(not even going to read jerryw's post, too long)

edit : oh yeah peter i just read your sig and laughed pretty hard

"Ragnarok Frontier: AEGIS Epi 13.1 Ash Vacuum · No unbalanced GOD quest items · Auto loot, Auto trade · 6/6/4 Rates · http://www.xenophase.net/rf"

ahaahahahahahah wat