Ragnaland

Started by Gene, Nov 22, 2019, 01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene

After taking a long break from RO, I decided to play again when I saw the advertisement.
Straight to the point:

Server Uptime/Stability

Stability: 9
For a little over a month, I could only remember 2 major crashes/downtime. One was during a 50v50 BG, the other was when the server was continuously dying for whatever reason during the day, which was fixed later on. Aside from that, it's pretty stable. There's also a proxy for asian players so latency isn't so bad despite being hosted in Canada.

Availability: 10
Aside from the maintenance and crashes on my previous statement, server has always been up. Maintenance also does not last too long.

Community

Friendliness: 6
This is apparently one major issue, it's still 6 because there are good people willing to help and improve the community. Now-- the reason for the lower score is because these specific people that kept on trash talking players randomly. Aside from that, they also kept ranting/trashtalking each other on public main chat while the GMs are off with their native language(spanish?). It wasn't really a good sight and a bad thing to see the moment you log in, as this actually went on for hours once.

Besides that, the server seems to have gathered an unfortunate, uncooperative group of lazy/greedy players who prefer to just leech on BG, for weeks using the same under geared character. This really ruined the fun as you could have 5 linkers and one paladin on one team, and full of priests on the other, this isn't a server problem, but rather the players themselves being greedy.

Eventfulness: 10
I can see the effort of event GMs so this is a 10, aside from that there are timed PvM events like Devil's Square, this is a nice feature to take a break from PVP related things you do on a midrate and get into a slightly more competitive and coordinated PvM.

Of course there's a lot of automated events, but I don't think I need to put that in detail, it's rotational events every hour.

Game Masters

Friendliness: 10
Staff is friendly and easy to communicate or contact with via @request or discord, forums also work. Haven't seen them act unprofessionally yet so that's a very good thing to see, at least from what I see they know how to handle players if they're on-- problem comes afterwards.

Availability: 7
This gets 7 because of what I mentioned previously, there's this gap of a few hours where a GM can't be on and have to take a break, that's where the chaos happens on public chat. Aside from that, they frequently monitor players for any form of illegal activities, which is also a good thing.

Helpfulness: 10
Pretty straight forward, they help whenever possible and if they are able to. Urgent requests can be done via the server's discord or directly in-game if they are on.

Gameplay

Economy: 7

Zeny
Most zeny farming spots have been nerfed so zeny isn't as easy as it was, and kept controlled with several zeny sink features-- card remover, costume maker, a bunch of custom quests for headgears, a customized BG enchant system, and so on.

Cash Points
Aside from Zeny, there are 3 other currencies. Donation (Cash Points), War Badge (Universal BG Badge Reward) and Gold Coins (Event Rewards Currency). These are all tradable so there's pros and cons. The idea of having cash points being tradable is great, but it also hurts a part of the economy as you will see people who are only interested in cash points for their trade/vend and nothing else. This limits what you're able to buy or sell in market. Lastly, most if not all CP related items are purchasable in game, via War Badge or other things.

War Badge
Then onto War Badge, you get several per BG round, after getting into a few rounds you would know how easy it is to get BIS gear so that shouldn't be your problem. You can also use BG to farm instead of dealing with monsters, since they are tradable and can be sold for zeny, or CP. This is IMO the best currency to farm. There's also a timed Badge Rush event where you could gamble your war badges to get random stuff. Most of them are good, by the way.

Gold Coins
This is mainly the reward you get for participating in both automated and GM hosted events, nothing too fancy aside from being able to purchase costumes but you will be able to participate in Gold Rush using Gold Coins, it works similarly to Badge Rush, you just use Gold Coins this time. There are more uses to this currency such as being able to buy restock slots with it, or play mini games that reward you such as Gold Ambernite. If you are unlucky with events you can always buy the coins from players or gold coin merchant NPC.

Guild Competition: N/A
I stopped WoEing when autopot restock ahk became the meta on almost all servers, so I'll only leave minor information as I do not participate, but if anyone's interested, there's about 4-5 guilds participating on WoE 2.0.

Class Balance: 6
As with almost every mid rate with the same meta, this gets a low score. Though a balance patch was set to disable snap in BG recently so it's slightly better. A fair warning that if you are interested in PVP Room, you only go in with a champ. Champs inside ignore other classes and mostly just duel with each other, You can use an assassin to get an occasional pick-off, but again with the current settings it's the same with every other mid rate, balance only shows off when in BG where supports come into play to make other classes viable. Fact remains, LK and WS are the same and under powered.

Server is pretty good, I'd recommend trying it out. It lacks players from asian timezone too, most of the action comes from EU timezone and some from NA.

Fino

Dear Gene  /lv
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking the effort and time to write your thoughts down. Your community rating has a valid point that some timezones aren't fully covered by the staff yet, especially mid-week. We are already taking measurements to increase our online times and we hope to decrease the amount of spam on the global channels asap. Thank you for sticking around with us and I hope you will continue doing so :)

Best, Neffi