My LeikaRO Review

Started by Riggs, Mar 01, 2015, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

Hi. I'm Riggs. I'm writing this because the review portion on the website simply isn't adequate, and some opinions have changed since my initial review. Just like you, the amazingly sexy reader, I've played on several servers over the years: low, mid, high, and official. I've had some great experiences on some servers. Others... not so much. Let's cut to the chase.  /ok

Server

The server itself is very stable, and mostly lagless. Maintenance and updates will obviously cause rather brief down times every week or two - which is a good thing on several fronts. Firstly, it demonstrates the frequency of updates. Good stuff. Secondly, it reminds me to feed the cat. Also good stuff. Very rarely, I have experienced some lag while mobbing, but it's usually brief. Overall, the server box seems very capable.

9/10 will probably roll a 200+ Venatu train in Juperos again  /ho

Community

This is perhaps the hardest aspect to articulate, mostly because I don't feel that the community is large enough yet to fairly evaluate. Bearing in mind the server is still relatively fresh (for instance, WoE just started three weeks ago) I can say that the community at large is fairly active, typically at a population of 150~180ish at any given time. There are almost always leveling parties abound. That said, you shouldn't have any problems finding a party for the purpose of leveling or instances in the #main chat channel.

Friendliness is hit and miss here. I must warn you now that much like any server (or any online multiplayer game period), there exists a smaller but very vocal set of players who revel in pretension masked by immaturity. By the server's standards, freedom of speech is held in high regard which is excellent, but it also protects those who vomit the typical dribbling garbage you might hear in say, a Call of Duty match. You've been warned. With that out of the way, the majority of players are indeed friendly, funny, social, generous, and helpful.

7/10 will drunk chat more often  /hmm

Events

PvP is usually only a blurb in #main away. I've went into a PvP room with no one active, mentioned it in #main, and within minutes eleven people joined. I've never played Battlegrounds, but I do see people frequenting that mode. So if it's your thing, no worries there.

The reason I play Ragnarok Online is solely due to WoE. As previously stated, WoE has only just begun three weeks ago, with a Saturday and Sunday event. So far, there is only one castle per event. I've only played around during the Saturday event, which is generally occupied by the two largest guilds with very little for the smaller guilds to do other than join the random PvP feast at the castle entrance. I personally enjoy full WoE with all the castles enabled, as it invites more opportunities for strategy, so unfortunately for me I find the current WoE scene disappointing.

On the flip side, one of the event GMs in particular holds mini-games and events very regularly (almost daily). I can say without reservation I've had more more fun with this GM's events than on any other server period. Great times.

There are also monthly(?) forum events, which are equally fun and showcase the wit and talent of the community.

5/10 7/10 because of that GM /no1

Game Masters

Early on, I encountered a bug. I mentioned it in #main, then directly after reported it on the forums. Within minutes, while derping about in Abyss Lake, a GM popped up out of no where and fixed the problem as it related to my character. Later that week the bug was patched during maintenance.

That is to say, the GM team is frighteningly prompt and helpful. They are also very receptive to suggestions and criticisms.

There is seemingly a hierarchy of GMs, from the low-rung helpers who do not possess any GM-related powers, but are more or less normal players who simply help others within their abilities. Then we've got the event GMs. They do have minor GM powers as related to their function. But if you've somehow managed to get yourself stuck inside a poring or lost all your skill points during a wild night of blackjack and hookers, you need the big guns, which again are prompt and ever-present.

10/10 will lose skill points again to a blackjack-playing poring prostitute again  /kis2

Economy

This is not a pay to win server. This is a play to win server. The cash shop certainly exists, and carries mostly mid-game equipment. Nothing game breaking whatsoever. No stupid overpowered wings. No silly safe to seven certificates. No pay for guaranteed refines. No invisible maces with 800 ATK and HP regen. Just some useful stuff to aid in PvM, for the most part. Not only that, but you don't actually have to pay a single red cent for any of this content as there are multiple ways to obtain cash shop points in-game, from monster drops to quests to events. I bring this up under 'economy' because from my previous observations, cash shop items tend to drive economies on most servers almost to the exclusion of everything other than god items and mvp cards.

Due to this, the current economy and marketplace, while small, is very grounded.

9/10 where is my Tao Gunka /gg

Customization

Dem hats. 10/10

Oh and also, lots of little balance tweaks and fixes. Additional Eden Boards. Lockboxes. Those are so cool. 11/10

Oh wait, the gutter line for bowling bash hasn't been fixed. Settling on 10/10.

Oh wait again, no stupid wings, and you can turn any headgear into costume headgear. 11/10

Verdict: 11/10  /lv

Conclusion

I want to state these are my honest opinions toward the server as it exists currently. With time and a larger player base, I'm quite certain those arbitrary scores will rise. This is undoubtedly one of the most fair and balanced servers I've had the pleasure of playing on. If balance is your thing and you've grown tired of cash shop shenanigans, and perhaps you're like me and have been out of the game since renewal and wanted to see what all this third class business is all about, Leika-RO is definitely a good place to call home.

Final Score: 9 blackjack-playing poring prostitutes out of 10  /ok

Terpsichore

It seems like downtimes can be a good thing, thanks for the review!

Zhin

Wow I coulda swore I replied to this yesterday when I replied to Susurro's. D: Sorry.

UM ANYWAY.

HI. Am I the GM you're talking about? :3c yeeeeeeeee~

This review made me laugh my pants off, man. You're pretty cool as butts. <3 Thanks so much for the positive feedback.