Honest review of VividRO

Started by Malfis, May 29, 2015, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exii

It was a good idea to start making a rndm post when it disappeared out the last 5 post rankings.

Dem pre-dev costs
exii - leader of the nonsense army

finest low quality gw2 streams: http://www.twitch.tv/exii_against_the_world

Godfather

Quote from: Reality on Jun 04, 2015, 11:56 PM
Besides pre-development costs, which have now been paid back, the server is funded by the server. I'm not sure what you're going on about. That's what donations are supposed to be for. lmfao

-Reality

That belief sir.
For starters, you can't just throw money on "Pre-Dev" costs and then solely rely on donations for the monthly bills of the server. This is the most common mistake server "owners" make. As what happens is pretty common sense. No one donates, server shuts down. At a bare minimum, you should have at least 4-6 months of funds invested for the server to keep up with bills in case there are no donations coming in.

I'm not siding with anyone here, but as IvoryMouse mentioned above, players shy away from donating to new servers. Hence, the early shutdowns. Nothing is wrong with relying on a server to pay personal bills, but to some extent, if you made a server for this purpose only, then the end story will be nearly the same all the time. Server failure as the Admin becomes more focused on making money rather than improving the server. So he starts adding items for personal(financial) gain and completely sets game play aside.

With that being said, we can't really control how people act. If they choose to curse like a sailor, than let them be. That's them, just do you. It all depends on how we view people. Don't like how some people act? Ignore em. Simple and happy life.  /ho

Ziddo

I played VividRo for like a week and I awaited its opening for almost a month. Server was pretty fun, if you played or read their forums (was active only on the early days of Vivid) you would notice the dedication Reality and his staff (and his friends) has on the server. I however decided to quit because of
    1.) AeonRo's history
    2.) Reality being too familiar with many of his friends
    3.) I played really early soo most features aren't implemented yet.. Can't blame vividro on that..

Bullet 2 is just something that in my opinion is not good. Every single hour I keep playing there I kept asking my if there'd be corruption and if these really close friends of Reality would get an unfair advantage over normal players. Do note that it is just my opinion and I have NOTHING to back it up.

Now as for what's happening with the threads, I think both sides has a point. But Reality now spamming swears is imo not good to look at, this person is still or was a leader and should try to act a little more professional especially when speaking as a representative of something.

VividRO shutting down leading to the loss of Reality's apartment imo is sad but it really is Reality's fault and he should be blamed for it. If you only rely on a private server as your source of income to live through life, then that imo is not a thought of someone that is mature. In effect, being branded immature.

Reading these reply chains, I don't think I'd ever play on a server with Reality included in it. Not because I find him incompetent, corrupt, or anything. But simply because his replies here aren't well-thought and that just leads me to think that I would not want to have this guy as a staff or a head of anything I play.

I'd like to reiterate that I really liked the server's settings and features. Server looked like a lot of work was put into it and the staff were trying their best to make the server a better place.

IvoryMouse

Quote from: DroppedPJK on Jun 04, 2015, 06:32 PM
You need to stop.

My problem with you is how you continued this when you weren't even aggravated in the first place.

When does he ever state it is everyone else's problem? Why do you attack him personally? You think you're giving advice? You aren't because the context has blown that all out of the window so any further comment on the dude is beyond criticism.

I don't even know how you jumped to the conclusions he was treating his players like financial live stock. Trying to make a profit and get things running smoothly is not treating your players like financial livestock. I don't care how he prices anything, that server from the looks of it was fairly balanced, and only an idiot would feel the need to donate to get an advantage there. Overall, his greed, if it even exists, is not what stop that server in his tracks so don't f*** assume it.

He swears in his posts and that suddenly makes him act like a 16 year old, where and when the f*** are you man? I swear all the f*** time in real life, I don't f*** think swearing is making me hard, it's just the s*** that comes out my mouth. Get with the f*** times.  Reality is pretty fed up with this s*** and yes he gets to be mad because he's human. What rule says he can't lash out? When did only 16 year olds lash out? Seriously it's 2015, everyone gets mad, everyone goes through hard times, and no one needs people like you stating the f*** obvious in an attacking manner.

You have no real answer here do you? His poor status does not relate to immaturity whatsoever. Oh I'm poor I must be immature in handling a RO server. That's correlation not cause.

You have a point though, it is relevant to his personal life which is where you tripped. Just because someone's RO server is down in the s*** doesn't give you the GO AHEAD to just start criticizing him outside of RO. Telling him he should stop hosting server when he hasn't even done a damn thing to his player is a real shame.

He wasn't the first to throw a tantrum and he was aggravated with a pretty insulting comment. None of that s*** was criticism and therefore it should be expected for him to get pretty flustered.
Relying on RO to make ends meet? Yeah bad idea!

Assuming that all Reality is doing nothing except RO? Another assumption.
Assuming Reality was trying to make a quick buck and that he thought people would donate right off the bat? You just keep jumping to these conclusion and your whole "devil's advocate" bull s*** just flew right out of the window!

TL:DR; you stopped being transparent, you stopped being the devil's advocate, and you aggravated a situation that never involved you.
Why anyone thinks you are being the big man here is beyond me.

Quote from: Reality on Jun 02, 2015, 08:00 PM
Vivid going down is most likely causing me to lose my apartment at the end of this month. So yeah. Eat a f***ing d***.

Open mouth. Insert foot.

Vivid. The server that HE runs is going down because PLAYERS don't join it or aren't joining it. Not liking it, whatever the reason is. Nobody likes his server. He is now blaming the general public for his server going down which in turn is going to cost him his apartment. THAT is the problem. You failed to see the obvious with your poor reading comprehension.

As far as "personally attacking" you must be daft. The man put his own sob story out there for the world to see and for everyone to criticize. Once again you further prove my point by Reality not being able to take criticism when you're being his white knight. How about you step out of this thread and let the owner be a big boy and answer to things directed at him instead of holding his hand. This isn't a f*** hugbox.

Also we can ONLY assume that he's only doing RO from the following.

Quote from: Reality on Jun 02, 2015, 08:00 PM
Vivid going down is most likely causing me to lose my apartment at the end of this month. So yeah. Eat a f***ing d***.

If you are putting your financial assets into a game that is going to cost you your own shelter then YES you are probably not working enough to make ends meet or not working at all. There's no other way to slice, he even admitted to the following.

Quote from: Reality on Jun 03, 2015, 03:18 PM
How does being poor = immaturity lmfao.

I had some rough s*** happen last year in real life, which included losing my job. But I'm dealing with it.

This isn't even relevant to, well, anything.

-Reality

So what I don't understand is this, you're sympathizing with a person who has stated they don't have a job and are trying to run a server with the hopes that donations will pour in enough to run the server. But here's the kicker, if he has to worry about covering server cost, then he's also going to have to deduct the following from the donations if he's covering his apartment too.

Monthly Rent/Bills.

Also from the sounds of him saying he's "losing" his apartment implies that he's also being evicted. So please, PLEASE don't go there. You are obviously someone trying to defend him when the man has put his personal life out here for the rest of us to see and now you're giving ME s*** for criticizing him when he put it out there to begin with? It's not a personal attack, it's the god awful f*** truth. If you need to rely on people's donations from an online game to cover your own rent and billing then there is a REAL problem with you. I'd understand differently if he was working and was putting a bit of money forward to get himself started, but the fact of the matter is this.

1. He lost his job.
2. Tried to start an RO server.
3. Lacked the funds to do so on his own. You need to spend money to make money.
4. Relied on server donations to bail himself out of a rock and a hard place with server cost and I QUOTE.

Quote from: Reality on Jun 04, 2015, 11:56 PM
Besides pre-development costs, which have now been paid back, the server is funded by the server. I'm not sure what you're going on about. That's what donations are supposed to be for. lmfao

-Reality

He said it himself, he is using server donations to try to cover the cost of the server itself and from the sounds of it "was" going well, which is fine. But to use the warped vision of "that's what donations are for." is pretty narrow minded. It pretty much means he's going to throw the money where holes come up IN MY OPINION. Since you think I'm personally attacking him. And honestly that's how it "should" be if you can do a sustained job of it. But what if his player count drops? What if people stop donating due to lack of fun content to explore? What if he can't meet that goal of X amount of money every week/month. Then what is he to do?

So once again. Open mouth, insert foot. You obviously don't know anything you're trying to rant at me about. The reason I am livid is because I came from a server where this s*** happened. So do not talk to me about personal attacks, when it's not personal when I've been there and done that. Perhaps people should get their s*** straight before attempting things like this in the first place.

Looking for: English/NA RO Server. 255/50 Pre-Renewal (Non-Kiel Based) Server OR Highly Custom 2nd Job Renewal Server. No Pay To Win.

Malfis

Salty Reality is salty :D after few day ban expired, loged in,  he's mafian family QQ to him after some nasty words on main from air to me :D and here you go IP Ban :3 heuheu
Yeah yeah lack of images, sowwie for not being rat like most of ya x( but i still wuv u
Spoiler
[close]

Funny part he removed access to flux ?module=character&action=online
Why? At one post i posted link with it and with msg what i saw what he done there :) or one of he's beloved GM.
Fun FACT : one of their GM was involved already on another server at Faking Population of Server, how? Using Vendors on map that regular player can't reach or find, last time on VividRO i counted around 15 of them. Named samilar to one letter KKKKK  , LLLLLLL and so on. More surprising one of merchant were lvl 11lvl / 10 joblv merchant, is that even possible? LOL anyways those merchants weren't vending at any of vending spots at town where people usually do it. :3

Anyways faking population is most honest thing that GM can do towards players <3

Sure

no gm is involved faking population  /no1

Styx

Oh well, I believe all players requested an IP/Mac ban for you.
So far, I only saw you as only one being very rude on main, after the ban it was gone.
It seems you have a negative influence on entertainment and your comments are in line with that.
Anyway, this server is still running with a steady pop. It obvious isn't that bad at all.

Malfis

Being rude by calling one of their gm's gay on mainchat? :D sure, anyways they faking population with merchants, server deserves another hack

Charity Case

From an outside perspective, why would you bother replying to this topic, and posting some profanity fulled replys.
It doesnt make sense to me, either your telling the truth and are very immature and get mad easily, or your lying and its starting to show.
Either way, both of those options dont make a good recipe for a GM/Moderator.

Oh and also, if you were so active in game why didint you provide a mute/ ban for a few days if the OP has been consistently posting garbage in #main.Doesnt make sense to me for someone to be able to post s*** for so long, if that was my server? #jail first day.Just saying.

stuff doesn't make sense from an outside perspective  /hmm

Oh and btw, if i had a rough time irl, last thing i would do is open  an ro serer. I love ro, but irl comes first. Just saying, that part of the story doesnt make sense at ALL.
Only reason i would open an ro server in that kind of circumstance is....
1:$
2: .... this option doesn't even make sense lol. i LOVE ro, but when it comes to important things in life like getting  back on track, getting a job im certinaly not gonna go home and make an ro server
the love for ro only goes so far, everyone knows that. Running an ro server in 2015 isnt gonna pay your bills........or is it? /hmm

papachan

So much advice on how to run a server from people who never ran one...
Generally speaking anyway, but if the shoe fits feel free to put it on.

OP knows how easy it is to piss off Reality, and Reality took the bait. But damn, is RMS even moderatated anymore? If these post were on a private server's forums, then we'd hear on RMS on how trolly the server is. But when it's done here, it just shows how RO is a dying game.

OP, thanks for the review; it seems you accomplished what you originally intended. Reality - good luck to you, I know how much time you put into this server and it's a shame it had to go out like this; however take this loss as a lesson and keep it moving - don't waste what you know by being discouraged and losing your cool.

Sup Kris