AnthemRO

Started by Johnsu, Oct 01, 2009, 08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benfi

I'm not saying it should have episode 13, Satan Morroc is still pretty updated. But it's just that 50% of episode 12 and earlier episodes (down to 10.1) is not there yet.. A lot of standard monster drops aren't there yet and lots of times when I wanted to do something fun and got to the location I was like "o.O where is it?". Also..it's not only the episodes that count as updates. Just any updates in general... custom features like quests, unique features, player suggestions and such.
Btw, why would the new features break PvP/WoE? I mean.. just about every new official weapon is still barely useful against (especially the new) MVP cards and SQIs.
And ya, things shouldn't be released all at the same time but.. no real update in almost a year is kinda bad :(

~*LacusHime*~

@ Benfi:  The server isn't really well known for it's quests anyway so I guess I understand what you're saying.

As for the update thing. Yeah there was a period of time that we didn't have too many updates but, after that, we got update after update after update.   The GM team is quite active working on getting us these updates and it's reasonable to run into a hitch along the way.

Some of the items they took/are taking a while to release are being debated simply due to the way they could affect woe/pvp. This simply shows that gm's are making sure everything is balanced before releasing it to the population.

@ Annihilate: Your opinion on the availability of MvP cards and the donation system is valid, I suppose. This may seem like a bad thing to you but do remember that it is, in fact, your "opinion".  Even new players can work to earn MvP gear by simply saving up money as they level and voting daily. There are plenty of guides available on the forums that show new players how to make money efficiently and there are plenty of friendly players who direct new players to those guides (or help them their selves).  The only thing that changes with the common mvp cards is the speed at which you level and the strategies used for MvP'ing/PvP/WoE/DA.

@ Selene: Not sure how long ago you played (or if you're still playing) but I do see what you mean about gm's not being in game.   They're aware of this issue and they clearly show that they're still around with updates/events/ and their activity on the forums.  At this point, we even have PR's (Public Relations?) staff members who constantly interact with players in the game and answer any questions players may have. They announce when they're online with a server-wide statement and allow people to send them pm's if they need help with something.

I'd be glad to respond to any questions about the server, if necessary.

Offtopic: Hi Johnsu!

Aryia

I'd just like to throw my two cents in there.

The fact that MvP cards are so widely available is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. When I look for MMOs nowadays I look for fast paced combat, things where you're not hindered by giant travel times between cities and giant cast times when casting a spell. Sure, you will not see certain skills, like spell breaker, being used too often in high level combat. But that's not a bad thing. What really draws me to aRO is the metagame. There are generally two types of endgame for classes that have cast time: The Dex route (150 dex = IC), or the cast reduction route (Berzebub + Dark Lord/Dark Illusion combo + Clock Tower Manager, etc). But endgame, you'll be sure that most classes will be instant cast or hardly have a cast time. On top of that, the generally considered best slotted footgear is a Sleipnir [1] which gives agi up. So yes, everyone will be running around fast, for the most part. On top of those, we have things like Kiel card (25% cast delay reduction), and so forth.

Of course, you're probably thinking of Lord Knights on Pecos running fast while spamming Spiral Pierce and destroying everyone... But there's always more. This server has SQI's - Super Quest Items (non-donatable, expensive in game like 200mil zeny). Which are very balanced. For example, Lord Knights get a spear that gives you level 4 warm wind. Effectively changing your property from neutral, to earth/fire/wind/water property on the fly. This also means that while yes, it gives a few stat buffs and is generally a good spear for spiral piercing, you can still go two handed build and effeciently use it to change your element on swap. They have thought most of the SQIs out and are still working on more to create a more balanced experience. Another example I can use is Evangelist, the High Priest SQI. It gives them Magic Crasher, as well as induces sleep 50% of the time (unless the enemy runs high int or swaps on a nightmare card (mid)). So you can use Magic Crasher to lock people down during WoE. Or you can just be around and make Lord Knights fear being locked down so they swap off another card :P.. On top of that, it gives Priests frost nova, allowing you to freeze people. Most people run a GR card (75?% neutral reduction), so freezing people makes for an easy asura target because it changes their property to water. However, they can counter freeze with either high MDef, marc card, or evil druid card. And if they do get frozen, they can either toss on crazy reduction gear such as deviling card (50% neutral) + combat knife (10% demi-human) + valk helm (10% demi human), etc.. Or they can swap on reflect gear (orc lord gives 30% reflect :D!).

What i'm trying to get at, is that the metagame is just so well done. Yes, it isn't easy to achieve the best gear, but it's very possible without donating. There are many people who get to the top without donating $$$. I'd keep talking about how fun it is end-game but I think you get the point.

Johnsu

Quote from: Aryia on Oct 03, 2009, 02:28 PM

The fact that MvP cards are so widely available is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. When I look for MMOs nowadays I look for fast paced combat, things where you're not hindered by giant travel times between cities and giant cast times when casting a spell. Sure, you will not see certain skills, like spell breaker, being used too often in high level combat. But that's not a bad thing. What really draws me to aRO is the metagame. There are generally two types of endgame for classes that have cast time: The Dex route (150 dex = IC), or the cast reduction route (Berzebub + Dark Lord/Dark Illusion combo + Clock Tower Manager, etc). But endgame, you'll be sure that most classes will be instant cast or hardly have a cast time. On top of that, the generally considered best slotted footgear is a Sleipnir [1] which gives agi up. So yes, everyone will be running around fast, for the most part. On top of those, we have things like Kiel card (25% cast delay reduction), and so forth.

Of course, you're probably thinking of Lord Knights on Pecos running fast while spamming Spiral Pierce and destroying everyone... But there's always more. This server has SQI's - Super Quest Items (non-donatable, expensive in game like 200mil zeny). Which are very balanced. For example, Lord Knights get a spear that gives you level 4 warm wind. Effectively changing your property from neutral, to earth/fire/wind/water property on the fly. This also means that while yes, it gives a few stat buffs and is generally a good spear for spiral piercing, you can still go two handed build and effeciently use it to change your element on swap. They have thought most of the SQIs out and are still working on more to create a more balanced experience. Another example I can use is Evangelist, the High Priest SQI. It gives them Magic Crasher, as well as induces sleep 50% of the time (unless the enemy runs high int or swaps on a nightmare card (mid)). So you can use Magic Crasher to lock people down during WoE. Or you can just be around and make Lord Knights fear being locked down so they swap off another card :P.. On top of that, it gives Priests frost nova, allowing you to freeze people. Most people run a GR card (75?% neutral reduction), so freezing people makes for an easy asura target because it changes their property to water. However, they can counter freeze with either high MDef, marc card, or evil druid card. And if they do get frozen, they can either toss on crazy reduction gear such as deviling card (50% neutral) + combat knife (10% demi-human) + valk helm (10% demi human), etc.. Or they can swap on reflect gear (orc lord gives 30% reflect :D!).

What i'm trying to get at, is that the metagame is just so well done. Yes, it isn't easy to achieve the best gear, but it's very possible without donating. There are many people who get to the top without donating $$$. I'd keep talking about how fun it is end-game but I think you get the point.

Not to mention you know stuffs balanced when SN can pretty much win too D:. Also, as far as SQI's go, LK's SQI isnt all that broken. We recently had a LK/Knight tournament and low and behold, a 2hander LK beat SQI'd LK's. So, its pretty balanced.

Hot like Mexico.

bleu

Can someone explain to me what's a DA or Direct Assault? This is all too confusing

Mania

Quote from: Johnsu on Oct 03, 2009, 09:32 PM
Quote from: Aryia on Oct 03, 2009, 02:28 PM

Not to mention you know stuffs balanced when SN can pretty much win too D:. Also, as far as SQI's go, LK's SQI isnt all that broken. We recently had a LK/Knight tournament and low and behold, a 2hander LK beat SQI'd LK's. So, its pretty balanced.

I won the knight tourny on aRO!

Benfi

Quote from: ~*LacusHime*~ on Oct 03, 2009, 02:08 PM
As for the update thing. Yeah there was a period of time that we didn't have too many updates but, after that, we got update after update after update.   The GM team is quite active working on getting us these updates and it's reasonable to run into a hitch along the way.

Some of the items they took/are taking a while to release are being debated simply due to the way they could affect woe/pvp. This simply shows that gm's are making sure everything is balanced before releasing it to the population.

Well, the period when the server was getting lots of updates was when zapbomb was still around, that was pretty good and I was actually hoping he would bring the server back to the top again.  But ever since he left it's been horrible. Sure, Talis works hard, but I have no clue what the others are doing... Looking at the "big update post" topic, all I see basically is the DA release and some Bibalan quest, which were the only actual releases of new features since 2008. The rest is just some small fixes and (lol) the removal of MVP teleporting, taking even more fun out of the game.

As for cards... you gotta be kidding me, right? Do they actually need almost a year to decide if a Plasma Card (Add a chance of gaining 'Elemental Resist Potion' each time a monster is killed.) is broken or not? It might just be me, but I'd say such things can be decided in a week, maybe a month at most. And in a game environment where clowns can use High Jump, LKs can use 4 elements, Bios have 40 DEX on their Djinn and more extreme cases, I doubt any of the normal monster cards can be really game-breaking :/. Sure, they are working on revamping the SQIs, but they've been doing so since what, 2 years?

Mashimon

Quote from: bleu on Oct 03, 2009, 11:24 PM
Can someone explain to me what's a DA or Direct Assault? This is all too confusing

What Is Direct Assault?
"Direct Assault ( DA ) is a new Guild versus Guild mode that [Talis, the server owner] have invented, designed and realized.
It is supposed to fix all the shortcomings of regular WoE and provide a much more skill-dependent battlefield for guilds to enjoy.

In Direct Assault, 2 teams compete for the destruction of the enemies crystal. The match either lasts 30 minutes, or until 3 crystal breaks have been archived in a row. No normal potions can be used. Dyes are used to make player alignment more visible."

DeePee

So basically some sort of Battlegrounds PvP with some extra features/changes?

Zone

Annihilate

Quote from: ★ ɀⓞϰع ⓞ∀ⓞ ฿ᶤƒᴚⓞ§Ⱦ ★ on Oct 04, 2009, 11:04 AM
Basically.

uh, no offense meant to the server developers, but it took them so long to do that?

Zone

An undisclosed amount of time.
It was being worked on before I was a developer there.

Annihilate

Quote from: Zone on Oct 04, 2009, 01:55 PM
An undisclosed amount of time.
It was being worked on before I was a developer there.

what i meant was if it is just a Battlegrounds ripoff, why would it take a year to do it?

DeePee

Because Aegis, not eAthena. It's kinda difficult to script for it.

Annihilate

Quote from: DeePee on Oct 04, 2009, 02:20 PM
Because Aegis, not eAthena. It's kinda difficult to script for it.

so its like eAthena uses C++ and Aegis is on Assembly.

hmm, so is it safe to say that server updates/server improvements on an Aegis server come really seldomly considering the slow rate of scripting?

What puzzles me is why cant they just use eA? Is there no way to, like, make a "converter" program to translates their Aegis DB's to eA?