What makes a good server?

Started by lilkillerduck, Aug 25, 2008, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulbasteve

Quote from: Pandora on Sep 01, 2008, 08:25 AM
@bulbasteve that's almost like saying "the only good server is mouro", yes skotlex is awesome, and few if any server owner can do what he does, but cool mods are not the only thing that can make a server good.

But I will agree that the person or the team behind the server is a good part of what will make it good or bad, to me dedication is the key point, you need a dedicated staff that will actively work toward making the server better, be it unique custom additions or just plain moderating to ensure that you throw out the bad people and being there to answer player's questions.

Well it's almost true as well. I mean lets face facts, if you don't offer anything customized than there is no good reason not to just play on an official RO server and fork over the 15 bucks a month or whatever. And to me just changing the rates or adding in a few new hats is not fundamental enough change to warrent not playing on a real server.

I mean hell I would call something like MouRO a good game, not just a good server. It is so much it's own unique thing that it's almost a disservice to just call it a RO server. And really that is what I look for at least, a good gaming experience, not just RO for free.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner don't flame/troll like that @_@

even though i guess you were provoked @_@ still... just please don't >.<

Spira

I like my server just from the unique stuff I have coded and optimized for it. A few things like the custom crystal system I made, as well as really customized headgears where you can choose the stats and color of some headgears which result in over 2000 different combination possibilities for just one headgear. Also the fact I have no donations is nice, all the custom items and equipment are done through quests. (Although no one these days cares if you have donations or not. People would rather buy them and complain about them, then join a server that doesn't have them. Plus I guess it keeps people from leaving usually as they don't want to leave their investment behind. But I digress.) I also enjoy the balance I have for the server. Those 'mid-high rates' that consider themself balanced have like +15 to all statted headgears (which are probably donation) and I find that boring.

So it basically comes down to the customization of the server, the community, and just different features it brings. Of course no one can really compete with servers that have been open for a long time with 300+ members, but it at least customized features bring in a few people looking for new things.

CookieEater

On the issue of people caring about their looks: A great majority does. Oh sure, most put on the equips with better stats for high-level Exp grinding or WoE, but after that the pretty stuff usually gets put back on.
My character can usually be found wearing a Munak Hat, regardless of where I am.
B>Positive Karma, /w offers pl0x

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: bulbasteve on Sep 01, 2008, 12:35 PMWell it's almost true as well. I mean lets face facts, if you don't offer anything customized than there is no good reason not to just play on an official RO server and fork over the 15 bucks a month or whatever.

While I didn't play on official servers for... s***, 7 years? I generally follow iRO Wiki forums - probably the only half-decent website about official RO since the official server ones are a joke and so is ROE. And believe me, what I read there ain't pretty. While euRO is still somewhat playable, iRO is literally a joke nowodays. There are tens of bots everywhere, and not just normal farming bots but announcement bots as well(You try to have a conversation with S> ZENY FOR REAL MONEY! WWW.WEBSITE.COM CHEAP!!! every three seconds. You literally have to block every single one of them.
Moving right along, there are the GMs - or rather, there are NO GMs as far as the eye can see. That's probably biggest complaint about RO too, GMs just don't give a f***.
And since GMs don't give a f***, this causes even more problems. Some bugs, reported over and over and over remain unfixed for almost half a year now, and there isn't a month without some quest being exploited.
I bet you probably can see where I'm going with this, so I'll just add the Kafra Shop, dual accounting, extremely old community and market(Seeing few GTBs or god items during a WoE is normal) with no new players whatseover, and the total population is about 300 - The server peaks at ~1000, but if you count the bots botting, vendors vending, and everyone dual clienting...

And all that for $15, or whatever the price was.

Pandora

I'm into customization, but not everyone is, lots of players seek a close-to-official server with rates a little higher and because its close to iro/kro doesnt make it a "bad" server (although it certainly makes it easier to maintain). Different servers cater to different needs, and they can still be "good" ^_^;
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Skotlex

I must say that sometimes Bulbasteve worries me. He's sounds like a zealot sometimes... if he ever starts a MouRO religion, I am just absolving myself from all ties to that O_o;

(RMS reviews)

Pandora

All hail Skotlex - god of mouRO! xD
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

Shaelyn

Quote from: Pandora on Sep 02, 2008, 01:32 PM
Different servers cater to different needs, and they can still be "good" ^_^;

y'know, you're right.

...so is it about catering to those specific needs that makes a server good, or is it something that each good server has in spite of that?

or both?
~Shae

Pandora

Well both I guess, as with any "product" you need to find your "target audience", trying to please everyone can't work, but there's more to making a good server, many people in the thread gave valid answers, being dedicated helps of course, active too since no one wants to play on a dead server and you have to care about your players.

bulbasteve

Quote from: Skotlex on Sep 03, 2008, 07:26 AM
I must say that sometimes Bulbasteve worries me. He's sounds like a zealot sometimes... if he ever starts a MouRO religion, I am just absolving myself from all ties to that O_o;

Hey, I converted from Pandoraism...you aren't the only custom server in-town (just the best :p).

But you should hear me talk about Indie Games sometime... goddamn corporate fatcats stifling the creativity of the true artists etc etc etc.

Skotlex

Quote from: bulbasteve on Sep 03, 2008, 09:20 PM
But you should hear me talk about Indie Games sometime... goddamn corporate fatcats stifling the creativity of the true artists etc etc etc.
Oh noes, it appears someone has invoked Indie Gamer O_O

(RMS reviews)

Pandora

Quote from: bulbasteve on Sep 03, 2008, 09:20 PM
Hey, I converted from Pandoraism...you aren't the only custom server in-town (just the best :p).
There's Pandoraism? o_O;;;

Loki

I think he refers to a time where he plays your server? And to be on topic, I think its a matter of opinion for everybody. If the population agrees with how the administration works with the server, they could say that the server is good in their opinions.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

watdapak

Good server should be balance no god item!
Good server should have anti-cheat system like anti-wpe,anti bot and of course anti-dupe!