What kills a server!

Started by Novus Orbis, Jul 24, 2013, 09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kensei

Quote from: yC on Jul 25, 2013, 12:41 PM
Also, can GTB card kill servers?

It only kills server filled with people who shouldn't even play RO.

Azulon

^People who think like that.

It's really just a chain effect. If the community is negative and discouraging, then the server owner, staff, and even other players -whether new or old- will lose their want to play the server. There are much more things that kill a server, like money yeah, but I've known a few server owners who use money from their pockets to keep up a server just because of the nice and positive community.
"I don't want normal and easy and simple. I want painful, difficult, devastating, life-changing, extraordinary love." -Olivia Pope

Vanadis

Quote from: Playtester on Jul 25, 2013, 04:28 AM
- players not willing to join a server that doesn't already have a huge population

This. Invite 100 players to join a server, 95 of them say they'll join when you have at least 50 actives.

Kiyoshiro

Quote from: Azulon on Jul 26, 2013, 09:31 AM

^People who think like that.
Oh wow, that is so true...

Thoth

Quote from: yC on Jul 25, 2013, 12:41 PM
Also, can GTB card kill servers?
saw one GTB card completely crush a server a long time ago. the mvp card rates were 1x and some guy got within the first months, giving his guild an unmatchable advantage.
usually though, it takes multiple mvp cards hoarded by a few to scare away new or less obsessive players.

Nekoruchii

What kills a server? Server wipe (?)

Not sure about that. I do hear that once you do a wipe, there's a high chance of it being repeated again in the future and we know what will happen next.

Soulman

Being too stupid to set up a simple WoE script.

You know who you are.

RoseTea

Quote from: Anti-Static Foam Cleaner on Jul 26, 2013, 12:10 AM
2. Rates higher than 2x
By comparison, 1x rates are dead on arrival, so no killing is needed!

Novus Orbis

Quote from: RoseTea on Jul 28, 2013, 04:06 PM
By comparison, 1x rates are dead on arrival, so no killing is needed!
QQ  /gg
/ene

Lhizquibb

Donation attainable equips with unfro/ cannot be stunned/imba attributes/ etc and questable equips but 20% weaker than the donates which sometimes are hard to acquire due to time needed to hunt such required loot( e.g. 3000 blah-blah) or those loots that are dropped by one monster/MVP... To me, the texts that are highlighted are the most important factors that makes a server very unattractive...  /x

I think donation-attainable-equips should be implemented when the server's population should be like 100-something or at a time when competence is at a peek  /pif... and that the server admin/staff should consult the server's community on what should be added or on what they would like to have... like unique/custom hats for each job/class...  /o

A GM having a legit char in-game can also be a problem since it is highly likely that he/she will give him/herself great advantage against all the players. however, if the purpose is to set/start competition then i would be okay with that.... for as along as the advantage given by the GM to him/her legit in-game char is not very imbalanced...  /no1

Thoth

not testing scripts/changes before putting them on the server (dat land protector bug oh noes)
not being online right after putting new scripts in, in case some unforeseen bug starts screwing up everything (woe crash /omg)

I actually think GM with legit chars isnt necessarily a bad thing, but there must be restrictions on the items (no +10 GTB carded mjolnirs), and transparency (any player can view their items at any time) so you don't have people going omg cheater! as a GM I'd want to play on the server, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to bother grinding items- why not just spend that grind time improving server and give myself all the +7 gear I'd need?

Angra_Mainyu

what kills a server, eh?

silent community and/or staffs (for me), unbalanced class, unbalanced feature between donator and non-donator, incapability of host to be reached from certain areas.

A sudden change of system sometimes does a rage quit (pre-renewal to renewal matters)

Kensei

Quote from: Soulman on Jul 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
Being too stupid to set up a simple WoE script.

You know who you are.

Sounds like most GMs nowadays

Here I come: Selling MvP Cards for RL Money.

Gatoruchato

When the GMs started to have favoritism in their server and those OP donates and pay2win on LR and MRs.

And FALSE advertisement too! Saying that your server is a damn mid rate and when you log in and @rates its 4k/4k/5k /omg
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ლ(╹◡╹ლ) (ノ °益°)