Reinventing Ragnarok - by a Game Designer

Started by ShadowLight, Aug 17, 2015, 12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjSonic

Quote from: ShadowLight on Oct 09, 2015, 10:38 PM
No offence taken. You're just stating what you feel and think about the server and I do appreciate your honesty more than anything. Though I agree with most of your reasoning, there are some I would like to get some clarification (or just want to tell you why I changed it):

Unless Mages have to consume reagents to cast every single spell, I strongly believe that it is not a fair comparison. On top of that, mage-based classes can regenerate SP easily out of battle (some skill even give boost to this). For archer-based classe, if you run out of arrows, unless you have the right reagent for the arrow you want, you're at a disadvantage. This is even worse in PvP since you will not get loot from anything. It is rather interesting, by just removing arrows, you say that archer classes are now mages. Are you saying that the only difference between archer and mages is the need for arrows (just to fill in weight limit and spend zeny on)?
This is my drawing board. I kept on posting this at the end of almost every post I make. This is the place for me to learn. I have zero intention to force people to agree that my idea will make Ragnarok better. It's just another way to redesign and I can't emphasize this enough, everyone have their own vision. This is just a way to get this brainstorming topic going (which is working very very well). Also,I'm pretty sure I mentioned that this is mostly skill changes NOT ALL of the changes that I have or plan to make. I have changes in DEF and FLEE formula.

To me, Ragnarok Private Server really is a invaluable sandbox. Sure it has its limitation due how it is already been set up, but the things you can do with it and the price you have to pay to keep it running is definitely worth it. I do believe that this truly is the best MMORPG sandbox to test out ideas. Let me know if there's any other MMORPG sandbox I can use to test that is as stable and robust as RO, I'll be sure to try it out.

Say whatever you want, I won't be throwing away my passion to design games just because I made a terrible design. This is my way of learning and getting input. I can't even imagine making a perfect custom server the first time, nor the second, or the third. But overtime, I want to be able to get it right. Again, I'm not easily offended. Appreciate all the meaningful feedback, keep it up!

keep up the good work bro, very excited about your server changes.

annaquin

Shadows: can you increase the rates of your server .. :/

ShadowLight

Quote from: annaquin on Oct 10, 2015, 05:22 PM
Shadows: can you increase the rates of your server .. :/

Which rates do you mean?

annaquin

I tried your server , I hope it's the good one, and got stuck by the exp rates and low population. if you want some feed back at least grant item to give exp or change exp rates.

whiteboi

Quote from: annaquin on Oct 11, 2015, 02:38 PM
I tried your server , I hope it's the good one, and got stuck by the exp rates and low population. if you want some feed back at least grant item to give exp or change exp rates.

What do you mean by got stuck by exp rates? I enjoy a lot of the custom features-- which servers with high customized features are notorious for low population, i felt that the exp rates were too high, almost akin to high-rate servers.

annaquin

I was talking to Shadow .. server I tried was called reinvented ragnarok

Exp rate was like x 10

Bue

Quote from: whiteboi on Oct 11, 2015, 07:26 PM
customized features are notorious for low population

Often, the customized features aren't what actual players want, but what developers can readily build. O:

Quote from: annaquin on Oct 11, 2015, 08:39 PM
Exp rate was like x 10

The experience table is just an array of 64 bit integers index by base level.

You can easily manipulate the experience table to offset the server rates, but that would be stupid.

He probably modified the experience table by calculating mid rate experience values with padding to throttle the starting levels (or have it scale better). This is to prevent players from leveling 10, 20, or 30 levels per monster kill.

A more complex customization involves manipulation of both the mob and experience table.

You can generate graphs using data-sets from the mob and experience table to get an idea of the player's leveling experience.  After collecting and analyzing a few data-sets, you typically figure out which data-sets produce the desire characteristics.

Finally, you take your engineered data-set and punch it into matlab to get a polynomial function, which you can use to generate your new experience table.

You can write a research paper on your rationale over the dataset as an exercise; good skill to have in academia. Then present the result on your forum or anywhere to get it peer review. (I would :D)

annaquin

Quote from: Bue on Oct 13, 2015, 12:30 AM
A more complex customization involves manipulation of both the mob and experience table.

You can generate graphs using data-sets from the mob and experience table to get an idea of the player's leveling experience.  After collecting and analyzing a few data-sets, you typically figure out which data-sets produce the desire characteristics.

Finally, you take your engineered data-set and punch it into matlab to get a polynomial function, which you can use to generate your new experience table.

You can write a research paper on your rationale over the dataset as an exercise; good skill to have in academia. Then present the result on your forum or anywhere to get it peer review. (I would :D)
Well people use R nowadays, cheaper and more powerful :P

Technically, the concept of exp is quite for dumb players, you are trapped into a zone where you select a set of skill, that you don't want but a few and sacrifice hours to get them in order to use 4 of them 95% of the time.

Active Skills should be granted by gears only
Passive Skills should be granted by job class only
Stats should be money maker ( grant by stats farm, kafra shop etc... )
Effect and misc should be granted by cards mostly.

In RAgnarok we have a retard mess of card providing whatever coders is thinking, without any consistency and no logic at all.

I think the taekwondo system of monster hunt should be use to grant exp ... you get your own quest of monster ( 100 ) for your level and once you finish your quest you get to kill a boss to change level. Instead of farming the same spot over and over for only get some new skills...

Edit : Shadow : You need to change your skill and skill description in one file and publish all description and effect in one shot. Otherwise skill description in game and how they act are totally different