What happened to the other ragnarok emulators?

Started by lilsword, Jan 03, 2013, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilsword

I was wondering what happend to the other Ragnarok Emulators? my brother was using Fusion back then (year 2004ish), i was just a kid. i wanna know how did the development died.

• OmniAthena
  • Freya
  • Vidar
  • Odin-Project
  • Fusion

BuBuChaCha

even though Tsuyuki abandoned freya long time ago (because he thinks eA was doing better work than him), the svn can still be found on the internet https://ookoo.org/svn/freya/

i i dunno how to do it, but if someone can compile it into a noob-friendly setup, it would be great! i missed playing on freya servers.... :<

for some reason i preferred freya over eA because its mechanics seems to work perfectly on high rates (i played on a freya-emulated server once around 2006~2007).

isn't fusion and weiss the same emulator? i remember fondly of an offline emulator called "dark weiss" and it was buggy as hell. i also remembered vidar because it was the emulator used by an internet shop i usually frequent for their LAN server.

lilsword

yes, someone made an offline ragnarok server before emulated by Fusion. but i think they stopped the development before pre-trans, and vidar's development is until heritage. i am wondering where are those people now? xD

yC

Some history of the other emulators were written on the eAthena page of Wikipedia, just checked and the history isn't there anymore.  No more mention of Freya.  I am surprised there are people that keep the page "updated" for some reason.

I think, if the developers are still interested in the project in general you'll find them in rAthena or the now new eAthena forum.  Otherwise they are washed away by time.

lilsword

cebuph

I'm still alive.. "Fusion - Prometheus Ragnarok Server".

cebuph

Little History - Weiss - or should i say jWeiss, is the original code by some cool japanese unknown master of object pascal language. TheHarbinger created a fork of Weiss and name it darkweiss, and he was joined by some cool programmer name tsukisa or so, but later decided to recreate a fork (Vidar) which is a paid version (closed sourced) Ragnarok Emulator. The rest of the team who did not agree with the idea of closing source the emulator created a new team name Weiss. And it progress to Fusion Weiss (Under Alexkruez, DarkHelmet, Tsusai, etc etc) with the goal of improving the gameplay, adding skill, classes, improved text base database system, mysql database support, and latest RO command. (with a less concern about leak and bugs) until version Fusion 1213??? .. Later continued by chrsthphr, tsusai, rabidchocobo etc etc under new name, Prometheus, and died.
HeliosRO (rewrite from scratch - using Delphi/ObjectPascal) with the crossplatform in mind did not do well since the lack of support from the community and Ragnaroks declining popularity through the years.
- i made some few submission of code, only when the feature i need is not yet implemented like. Prompt (inputc later became inputstr), and the correction of ontouch feature. (from eathena). Weiss is not multi thread, it runs on a single thread under the visual form object which resulted to none responding of GUI during monster respawn and guild event.  The code is not for Novice programmer since the whole codebase is object oriented+mix+spaghetti style, and everything in the game environment is an actor with shared property/inheritance.

alexkreuz

Hi, alexkreuz, founder of fusion here.  I'm still alive but I'm old now.

You can still find Fusion on http://sourceforge.net/projects/fusion/ but I'm not sure if it is even at all relevant now :D

I'm on twitter.com/wayubi if anyone cares :)

Thanks for the memories