What happened to Dawn of Midgard?

Started by AkQ, May 14, 2016, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zinnia

Quote from: snowblind on May 16, 2016, 08:17 PM
What did people expect? Exploring every map on a great journey like it's the first year of RO? It's always gonna be the same s*** on "close to official" servers.

I'm convinced at this point that RO servers are not sustainable without tons of custom content. People always get bored.

Yeah. That's why I want to take some time before a re-opening. We rushed the launch with only 2 months worth of work. After that, between all the necessary qol for the hardcore pop and the bugs to fix it was rather difficult to produce entertaining new content. And hell, we had maintenances every week. Its not like if we touched our ****.

If you want to build a RO server at least as ambitious as DoM you need at least 6~ months of preparation and 2 months of beta. NovaRO and Talon are already excellent established servers on the market with lots of content. If you join the market with a simple ra/herc dump you won't last long.

nile

Quote from: Playtester on May 15, 2016, 01:51 PM
Then there was pre-trans WoE, but the attacking guild found themselves to be completely unable to win and they just quit WoE. Which also caused the defending guild to quit because "Everyone is so weak lately, boring." And because PT WoE was dead, the guilds that joined to join it also quit.
There were a bunch of people who said they would play pt yet only a few did (this is at the start of dom). We had a situation for a few weeks where amnesia was going to play but not ready, then when we are told they are 100% coming (which means 3 full guilds), neither Amnesia or scrubs turn up. We also heard suicide squad was going to play but never saw them either. People just didn't care enough for pt, then when my guild started dominating the loudmouth egomaniacs quit

"Exploits" and ways to farm zeny super fast are why low rates aren't as good for the woe scene. mid rates are where its at

Koh

Quote from: Zinnia on May 17, 2016, 09:17 AM
Yeah. That's why I want to take some time before a re-opening. We rushed the launch with only 2 months worth of work. After that, between all the necessary qol for the hardcore pop and the bugs to fix it was rather difficult to produce entertaining new content. And hell, we had maintenances every week. Its not like if we touched our ****.

If you want to build a RO server at least as ambitious as DoM you need at least 6~ months of preparation and 2 months of beta. NovaRO and Talon are already excellent established servers on the market with lots of content. If you join the market with a simple ra/herc dump you won't last long.

Will you have the forum up again at some point pre-opening to discuss the problems that beset the server? To be honest I really liked it and only left because my friends couldn't play much anymore. The pre-trans part of the server was what hooked me in the first place but did not pan out how I had hoped. If you are truly committed to a re-opening I will certainly try it again, but 2 major changes that I think would help would be to

• Let Battlegrounds start when there are enough players, not on a schedule. Scheduled fights are for War of Emperium.
  • No rebirth for at least one month. Dedicate the first month or so solely to pre-trans (the way GGRO started without it) and everyone who plays will be leveling/gearing as in Classic. That way when rebirth IS implemented: people already have the characters and items to participate in pre-trans features, those same items can be used on reborn characters to hunt better trans gear or sell them on the market, and there will be a second wave of leveling parties. Assuming the episode stays the same pre-rebirth, you may even see groups doing Abbey/Bio Labs/etc. as second classes to get the rebirth gear ahead of time. To me, the biggest benefit of delaying rebirth would be an additional influx of players when it's released.

Playtester

Currently all that kind of discussion is going on mostly on the Discord channel.

Zinnia

We will have a forum pre-launch that presents all the new features & systems, and an open beta to test them. As usual, everything will be up to discussion on the forum.

Yuzo

Zinnia I think you have proven yourself enough. The fact you have tried to delete traces of your server is shameful. Own up to your mistakes, don't push them in a corner. There was no need to deactive your facebook or shut down website/forum without a clear announcement. Yeah, you made some topics which made mention of it, but i didnt see your announcement section move once.

People are more likely to trust you when they can see you're using those mistakes to improve yourself.

Zinnia

Quote from: Yuzo on May 23, 2016, 08:06 AM
Zinnia I think you have proven yourself enough. The fact you have tried to delete traces of your server is shameful. Own up to your mistakes, don't push them in a corner. There was no need to deactive your facebook or shut down website/forum without a clear announcement. Yeah, you made some topics which made mention of it, but i didnt see your announcement section move once.

People are more likely to trust you when they can see you're using those mistakes to improve yourself.

"shut down website/forum without a clear announcement"

There was. We were pretty clear about it. Unfortunately hosting costs money. We kept everything online until the last possible moment. We even had an announcement up after the fact (which was on a free host and completely obliterated the bandwidth cap there for even just a static page). Nobody is hiding sh*t. We made Dawn of Midgard and we're proud of it. Proud of the community we gathered and who still follows us today. I wouldn't want to delete any trace of that. People should know me for the person who built DoM, I will never be ashamed of it.

Facebook was paused to not affect the Edgerank until we eventually want to open the page again for further announcement.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

Zinnia

Why would I tell on RMS & Reddit that I am the owner of DoM and we're working on a second version if I was trying to delete every trace of it?

I like debating, but if that's all your arguments or if you're looking for a drama on RMS about DoM then don't count on me.

Whether you like it or not, all I said was true. If you don't believe it, then ask anyone else in the team. They can answer on our discord.

Yuzo

Quote from: Zinnia on May 23, 2016, 09:42 PM
Why would I tell on RMS & Reddit that I am the owner of DoM and we're working on a second version if I was trying to delete every trace of it?

I like debating, but if that's all your arguments or if you're looking for a drama on RMS about DoM then don't count on me.

Whether you like it or not, all I said was true. If you don't believe it, then ask anyone else in the team. They can answer on our discord.
What about your general public who don't read sh1t like that? You know, the average player who will only read what's in their patcher, maybe occasionally visit the forum? I get you want people involvement, but it seems you forgot about a good portion of your playerbase. Those types don't go searching on reddit or forums outside of announcements, let alone discord...

Zinnia

Quote from: Yuzo on May 23, 2016, 10:36 PM
What about your general public who don't read sh1t like that? You know, the average player who will only read what's in their patcher, maybe occasionally visit the forum? I get you want people involvement, but it seems you forgot about a good portion of your playerbase. Those types don't go searching on reddit or forums outside of announcements, let alone discord...

And I apologized if those people weren't informed!

We closed the server when there was not even 40 daily active players. I assumed all of them were aware it was gonna close as we announced at least 2 weeks before.
Either way, I don't see the point in keeping the website and the forum online after those 2 weeks, when we could keep the money to pay the first months of the next round.

What's done is done. We explained the reasons why we closed multiple times and if necessary we will explain them again on the new forum, adding what we will do to to make sure they're not repeated again. There is no reason in stirring up the past again and again. We're focusing on our new project now and participating in pseudo-dramas is the last thing we want to do.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

tomosuke

Quote from: Minabe on May 24, 2016, 04:20 AM
There's no reason to but my curiosity always gets the better of me, btw what number will this new project be? And why do you talk in plural now?
I refers to Zinnia's personal actions. We refers to the team of DoM. I don't think it was curiosity when Zinnia explained what the situation was and you said it's a load of crap, you're just being hateful. I don't particularly think it's fair to say he's hiding things. If he was hiding things, he would let y'all speculate instead of coming out and saying something.

tl;dr
There was an announcement, it wasn't that well executed since some of the staff were already busy/have left.
He apologized that some people were left out.

Can we move on? I don't see any point in keeping this thread open any longer unless someone else wants to go on another hateful fishing edition.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

BestPlayerEver

Is anyone actually surprised?

No server with a player base of 95% woe only players will ever be sustainable. Look at the successful/highly populated servers, woe is not the main reason they're there.

Life cycle of a woe server; create hype about server, everyone rushes to said hyped server, server is successful for a few months/a year at most, admin does some stupid s*** that pisses everyone off OR woe guilds ragequit, everyone leaves and then recycle again.

Ragnarok is just a dying game with servers dying frequently. I personally quit RO after Woon Pre-renewal died.

I was gonna give DoM one year before I joined it, good thing I did that, I didn't waste my time.

I feel like Zinnia is just smarter than midrate admins. He's creating low-rate servers so that the cycle I mentioned lasts longer and thus he generates more income. Of course he might actually enjoy hosting Ragnarok, but the cash/longevity of a low-rate woe server is undeniably more than a midrate.

I'll check up on RO in a few years again, hopefully it's still up.