Too many servers..

Started by penguins33, May 21, 2007, 02:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dook

im suprised your server isnt more popular skotlex. if people knew who you were they would know its probably awesome :)

Skotlex

Maybe I spend too much time working in the server, and not enough making banners and promoting it :x Word of Mouth only works well enough once you reach a certain population threshold where it can self-sustain itself.

I am pretty sure it must be the same case for other good servers out there... it's hard for the players to find the kind of servers that they will like xP

(RMS reviews)

dook

i had a look at your server info and it sounds very interesting. the kind of things i would have loved to have done with my midrate. but it made me think, players generally arent interested in midrate servers from what i can see. i ran one for a year, and eventually had to close it and open a 99/70 because there was so little interest from new players. after all that time i only had about 10 loyal players, and it was very rare to get some1 new come in and check the server out. in comparison the 99/70 server is just a couple of months old, and i have over 50 players on alot of the time and constantly growing. (and finally fun woe etc) it was like crimson daylight had some great scripting etc and like 4 players online. the way i see it most players either want something close to kRO, or some super high rate where everything is really easy and they can instacast spam huige numbers all over the place to make themselves feel good. :D

Skotlex

What is mid-rate? 25x~150x? I remember back in the Yare days when 100x was considered HIGH rates.
The one thing I don't understand about very high rate servers is... what's the point? Why not just use 1x rates and have the job-changer also max your base/job level and be done with it?
I am not sure what's the point of increasing exp rates when you also increase max stats and max level. It's like trying to blow everything out of proportion because you like big numbers. PvM becomes a joke because mobs can't touch you, and PvP loses balance since some skills will become exponentially better than others and so on. So what's the point? Just feeling mighty ? I would understand lazy/bored people wanting to try that out and just owning mvps with ctrl+click, but it would (or should at least) grow tiring quickly. So what's left after the initial hype? I really dunno... I don't play those very high rate servers.

On the other end of the scale, I bet many RO players are tired of spending days/weeks to get a character done when their previous server wiped/closed-down (yet again). There's also the problem with low rates that if you don't keep up, once your buddies leave you behind in level, you can kiss them good bye as they won't party with you ever again (it's unlikely you will catch up if you play less often than they do).

I could be off.. but this is what I believe the RO server scene to be like for players. The unbalanced rates of my server (10x base, 1000x job) were picked because I believe playing is more fun when you have all your skills (base level is not that important, it only determines which kind of enemies you can pick on); this way it will take "forever" to reach a very high base level (so you don't get too bored with easy opponents,  and makes it easier to keep within share level of others even if you don't play as much), while it becomes quick to gain the required jobs to get access to your favourite skills. Or at least that's the theory, for me the rates work fine, with an average sized party (3~5) that knows what they are doing you can reach advanced class in a single day, and your base level will be around 85 at the end of it (while on the other end of the scale, some 'hard-core' players have been MVP hunting for a while now, and they are around base level 140 after a week or so of having nothing to do but play RO most of the day :B). But anyway... I think I am going off-topic here... but the point is, most people will think MouRO is low rates because of base, without realizing that the tedium of grinding your levels isn't really felt (unless you feel that for some reason you must be max level already).

I think the best "market" for low rates are people new to RO. Those who have not been in a gazillion servers already and have everything be new to them.. those would not mind waiting longer to get their skills/build done since it's still a brand new experience to them (until they make friends with addicted people who out-level them and then leave them behind in the dust forever? :P).

(RMS reviews)

Muffin

Interesting topic but how should someone realize a server with 1-2k ppl playing at the same time? You need more than just one server. You need more traffic, more security, more money, more supporting GMs etc. this is a hard thing.
Most servers out there are just projects of small groups or just one person. your suggestion is nice but not possible i think.
http://www.muffinro.com
Low rate, true gaming. Feel free to join.

Skotlex

Actually, a competent admin can maintain a server's growth via donations. Basicly it's all about getting players hooked (ie: loyal), and then when the news comes "we need donations to maintain the server or it'll close down D:", the money shows up. At least I know the larger servers keep themselves afloat that way.. so it should be possible (hell, they most likely can make enough money via donations that they become corrupt and start leeching away most of the income to their own pockets D: )

(RMS reviews)