Thinking of writing up a particularly large guide

Started by SpectreZero, May 13, 2010, 08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpectreZero

I know this may not neccesarily be the most relevant place to put it, but I'd probably end up putting it here for review before linking it anywhere else, anyway.

There's a lot of s*** servers out there, and an equally large amount of stupid people running them. But there's also quite a lot of smart individuals who are quite capable of doing things, but don't have the readily accessible knowledge to do so. eAthena is over-ran with people trying to run precompiled servers on their home desktops trying to make the 1337est server, and 3ceAM support-related s***.

What I was thinking of doing was writing up an entirely comprehensive guide on how to start and run a server; there's guides out there for compiling servers and adding customs and the like, but none really elaborate on things such as what an ideal host is, or how to set-up a basic website for your community use. Would go as far as to delve into player mentality and probably ask the reader why they want to create a RO server in the first place.

There'd probably be a section devoted to players merely interested in helping/contributing to a server they play with. I know a lot of people would consider it a waste of time, but from my experience dealing with people new to eAthena and at times RO entirely, it could help -somebody- out there. Hell, if anyone wants to actually help me with this, that works too.

Any feedback?

ore0s

You're trying to write a guide on how to run a server?  Don't wanna sound rude, but who are you?  Why would people follow your guide because for all we know it could be sh1tty.

People shouldn't even try to run a server if they can't google the information they need.

*edit*
I'm pretty noob myself, so don't take anything I write seriously, at all.  Just go ahead and write your guide.

Multiple accounts

DeePee

Honestly I don't think this will solve anything.

There are too many 12-14 year olds wanting to run a server without any knowledge. Sure, you can teach them how to compile a server and all, but there are too many things to be considered. You would have to teach them how to script (most of them just grab crappy script releases from the eA website), how to fix bugs, how to modify the source, what to do in cases of crashing, hacking, how to secure their database and server and most importantly: how to not be stupid.

Most of these things just take time and experience to develop. A guide will not stop them from doing stupid things like giving out stuff to their friends, implementing bugged scripts, wiping the server due to a screwup, etc.

null.

I've been wanting to do something similar for quite some time. You should contact me and we can get started on this.

LemonCrosswalk

I don't think a guide would change much. The people who can't run a server shouldn't be taught how, although I doubt they could learn in the first place.

DeePee

Quote from: Serenity on May 15, 2010, 08:22 AM
Rather than write a guide on how to use eAthena/set eAthena up, do something more useful like find bugs for the eAthena developers to fix.

Pointless idea is pointless :( As if the eA devs are gonna fix any bugs. It's been dead for months now.

DeePee

OHRIGHT! Yeah, best is to look for things to improve on eAthena and report it to the devs. They'll surely work on it :)

Flipsyde

Eathena's been down for 5 days now, Plus eathena seems pretty dead right now cause everyones all boycotting WOW and Halo on the xbox. RO is left to the ones who take an initiative, and not just debate about it lol. I doubt they'd do it, Since they're not getting paid to report it and plus , eathena is all about customizing RO, Wouldnt be surprised if the devs told eathena to give it a try and not depend on them.

Aozora

The way I'd put it would be: If you don't know how to set up a server, you shouldn't set up a server.

If you don't know how to compare hosts, or get a website up, or buy a domain, or do some basic HTML/PHP/SQL coding, there's really no point in setting up a server at all. It's teh same thing with the people coming to eA forums asking "How do I start a server", there's no point in telling em how to start or get started since they won't have a clue on how to maintain it.

Shinn

The livelihood of Ragnarok is primarily based on the context of "private servers" if you want this game to survive, I strongly suggest you create a "Making a RO server for dummies" guide. If that however is not your wish, do not create a guide and let the game set course to its eminent doom.

Cheers.

cause after all the drama, I still slain em.

Need a site done? contact me.

Anti-Static Foam Cleaner

Quote from: Serenity on May 15, 2010, 08:22 AM
"Smart" individuals would know how to read the eAthena wiki, which teaches how to fully install eAthena on different operating systems, which does include how to compile/recompile/update SVN, etc.

"Smart" individuals would know how to use Google or the eAthena search function if they're looking for guides on how to create a patcher, loading screens, adding custom items, etc.

"Smart" individuals would be able to use the documentation eAthena already provides, which explains every basic (and even most advanced) thing you need to know to start your own server, maintain it, create custom content (NPCs, items, monsters, etc).

There is jack s*** on eA wiki, searching forums is a b**** and documentation? lol what documentation?

Argument that good guide will mean more s*** servers is retarded, that's like saying hey, let's go back to command prompt because Windows-based interface only makes idiots capable of using computers. If they were "smart" they'd learn the commands and how to touch-type, amirite?

Gankz

Really, the production of private servers needs to stop, due to the fact that the ones we have now are fine and we're overrun with s*** servers that do no justice for the game at all. I don't advise writing a guide, because like others have said, if they can't figure it out with the resources given, they shouldn't be able to at all. I and many others know how to properly set up an eA server (I keep a home run server for testing purposes and playing on lan with friends), it really isn't hard.

If you want to write a guide, write it on a useful topic :]