Server Concept

Started by S h o, Oct 07, 2018, 07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

S h o

Before i go any further, i hope this is in the right place (dont hurt me yc :P)

I've been toying around with a little server project, hosted on my Raspberry Pi 3, controlled via SSH.
At first, i've been trying to recreate my OLD OLD server from days gone. 15k/15k/150x rates.
To begin with, everything was easy. Then i realised that RO development had come a long way since my last venture

So i had a new idea!  /omg
A limitless 1k server!

So the idea goes like this:~

1k/1k/50x
Maybe PK-based
Max Base Level: No Limit
Max Job Level: 80
Max Stat: No Limit
Max HP: No Limit (thats reachable)
3rd jobs, and all the new features.
NO @warp! (would still have warp npc's though)
Party EXP increased, as well as the level limit for exp share removed,

this would mean players would be able to continually progress, even after endgame.
ok, EXP would start becoming meaningless eventually. But everyone would be different. and would only be as strong as the effort they put in, like most MMO's.

I'm still unsure of the idea though

Bue

Yeah, you are going to run into issues. I don't think the game would scale to unlimited.

S h o

You're right. But I'm aware. I think the limit I can push it to is around 32k, or the integer value cap. could be wrong. Either way, the limits set would be totally unreachable, therefore giving the illusion of unlimited :P

S h o

Just to add to the idea. Once mobs start to become useless, I could add map clones with "Omega" mobs, with increased stats and drop rates

live4lie

stick to 2nd jobs, unlimited stats/hp 3rd jobs are gonna cause you issues you can't even think of

S h o

There's no problem that isn't fixable though. I've always toyed with super high rates. And I have a client that can handle much higher numbers now. Think my last test with a rune knight, with 1k vit, Tao gunka and frenzy still didn't come close to half of the potential max hp limit the client could handle.

I can always readjust damage calculations via the source of things get too "broken" :)

S h o

Things are looking interesting.
Just successfully compiled a server, setting the max level as 9001!
If anyone manages to reach that level (probably literally impossible) they deserve the over 9000 meme!

Just gotta write a custom experience table, and stat point table, so things don't get too crazy too soon :/

Although I sound crazy with this idea, there is method behind it  /pif

It's kinda gonna be like a super high rate, stuffed into a mid rate, that plays like a low rate

Blinzer

so let me get this straight, you want to implement a concept which allows you to have levelling up scale farther into the lategame, much further than a 999 server in theory

yet you want to set the rates to 1000x so that 90% of the content in the game is useless because you level up so quickly you can just skip it?

i swear these kids in 2018 just say s*** for the sake of saying it

listen. your idea isn't that bad, it lets people do more soloing than is allowed in the original game. but if you want it to not suck you need to do the following as a bare minimum:

1. use renewal monsters
2. take a look over skills that scale exponentially
3. limit the level:max stat ratio to something reasonable
4. no third jobs
5. low rate
6. take a look at the aspd formula

i don't give reasons for what i say, you can't expect me to do all of your work for you. figure it out

/no1

S h o

Ok, to set the record straight, I'm 31 mate!
I have every intention of scaling pretty much everything in the game to suit, and I know exactly how to do it.
I'm even gonna scale consumables and cards! Maybe even skills!
Whats the point making a server, then rendering most of the content obsolete?
This isn't my first rodeo.

I know it's a mammoth task, but i enjoy what I do, and I've setup a great stable platform to work on

On a side note, I don't quite get why people are worrying about high stats and 3rd jobs. Everything is adjustable. With 1k rates, I don't really expect anyone to surpass lvl 600+ if I'm honest

live4lie

well, you won't be the first to be confident and say all these "i know how to do that, it's easy"

just go ahead and start your server, see for yourself

S h o

Like I said, not my first rodeo.
Things can be easy with knowledge, but even easier with experience

Playtester

What Blinzer wanted to say:
What's the difference between putting 1000x rates, set max level to 9001 and make all monsters harder and putting rates to 0.01x, do no other changes and call it limitless.

S h o

I suppose the difference would be the rate of progression?

It would be so players feel like they're making constant progress, like levelling on a high rate.
Which gives casual players the chance to experience endgame content.
And for more devoted "hardcore" players, it would give a more lowrate feel as they surpassed the same point.

I do appreciate the feedback. Sometimes it's easy to misconstrue text, so I apologize if I sound like a bit of a troll.
I'd just rather people give positive feedback with an open mind is all :P

Playtester

For good feedback you need to make it clear what you actually want to accomplish.

Like in this case "making the player feel like he's making constant progress" is what you actually want to accomplish.

The problem comes with the stat balancing then. I guess the easiest solution would be to just give 1 stat point per level up, but then you're lacking the noticable progress again. So the next way would be to make stats matter less, which is already fairly complex to do, probably out of scope.

Maybe completely stop stat progression and just do something like "Every level over max level you deal 0.1% more damage."

In fact in renewal you don't even need to do that as level itself already has an impact on many things... in fact this will be another balance issue you'll be facing. Just a few levels difference can already make you immune against status changes for example...

It's really a lot of work, so it's fairly questionable if all that work is worth it for only making the player feel constant progression.

S h o

This sums up my current outlook