Scripting

Started by tracer, Nov 29, 2009, 03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracer

Thanks to eAthena and all the service providers out there. Running a Ragnarok Server can be as easy as one two three. Just download their svn, compile, slap in a IP address, and let it roll.

Now, it has become apparent to me that most server owners are too lazy or just inexperience to learn how to script eAthena. I'm not saying that I'm the greatest scripter out there, but I am tire of seeing immature 13 yr olds running a server on a stock eAthena and then died later in two months because they gave up.

There are only a few servers out there that actually have experience administrators with legitimate scripting skills. While many others turn to eAthena and take scripts off from the script database. Although this isn't wrong, they should probably learn how to do it themselves in a long run.

While we have volunteer developers/GMs/and whatever, you would think that they would be more productive? Wrong, most GMs are GMs because they're more special than other players. In reality, most server are staff with inexperience members and stealing material over eathena at last resort. Should something be done or is this the end for quality RO servers out there. I seen rebirth, essence, and feelRO, I guess they are the only servers with some actual features worth bragging about. But they are too over populated. This is just a rant.

/rant
Quote from: Final on Nov 29, 2009, 04:58 AM
Skills aren't exactly needed to run a server however they are good to run an excellent server.
Close your eyes and smash your keyboard. You're doing just fine.
Quote from: Final on Dec 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Quote from: tracer on Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
Quote from: Ironic on Dec 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Temjin - Seems like anything that comes out of your mouth is a swing at somebody here.
4444 Quotes.

Odeon

True that alot of server owners suck.
Quote from: tracer on Nov 29, 2009, 03:23 AM
Should something be done or is this the end for quality RO servers out there.
We cant do s***, its the end.

I seen rebirth, essence, and feelRO, I guess they are the only servers with some actual features worth bragging about. But they are too over populated. This is just a rant.
Go play them untill they die out, and then shift to today's new servers with educated Admins.

¤Odeon Ragnarok Online¤
¤Eight Medieval Races to choose from!¤
¤Race Wars! - Battle of the Eight Races!¤

Final

Lol Who ever said you needed to know how to script or anything to run a server?    It's not a necessity just a nice little specialty.  It is true that some owners just go and take a script, change one line and call it there own, but where's the problem with that?  People post these scripts so others can use them...The only problem there is calling it their own when it's not but still.  Skills aren't exactly needed to run a server however they are good to run an excellent server.

Two cents worth.

Ah, fun times on RMS~ http://www.paste-it.net/private/u6c168b/   (Added more~)
-- Signature too big again.  You were notified previously on the same issue.

- So? Stop b****.

DeePee

Eh well, without knowing how to script and not having anyone in your staff who knows how to, you simply cannot run a decent server. Sure, setting up a server is easy (though, if you don't even know how to script for eAthena, I doubt the server is very secure), but making your server actually stand out is impossible if you don't know your stuff. No unique features, no cool events, nothing. All you can do is jack scripts off eAthena just like every other High Rate server that is set up by 13 year old kids that will survive for no longer than a few months /ok

Odeon

3 Steps :
1) Buy an eA supported VPS
2) click "compile your server"
3) click "Start Server"
and you have your own public RO server. :)
literally.

You dont need skills persay, any good scripter/coder would be happy to do your s*** if you offer to pay him/her.

¤Odeon Ragnarok Online¤
¤Eight Medieval Races to choose from!¤
¤Race Wars! - Battle of the Eight Races!¤

bleu

I seen rebirth, essence, and feelRO, I guess they are the only servers with some actual features worth bragging about.

Could you begin with helping me understand what's so special about rebirth, essence and feelRO in terms of scripting? I know feelRO has a unique personalized aura script; are there more scripts worth mentioning? Surely custom maps or custom sprites are not considered advance scripting knowledge, are they?

tracer

Obviously you haven't done any scripting at all, otherwise you would have known that scripting includes mobs, items, warps, and coding the server itself. If any of these new admins can script an exact or better dungeon wars than fRO, I'll throw in the towel. Heck, I bet some of these guys can't even script eRO's valk customizer. Or maybe an MySQL pvp ladder. How about attack and defense factor for WoE? Or maybe something along the lines of restricting donation characters and manipulating arrays and functions that aren't even to my knowlegde or comprehension. What so special about them? Heck you decide.
Skills aren't exactly needed to run a server however they are good to run an excellent server.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
Temjin - Seems like anything that comes out of your mouth is a swing at somebody here.
4444 Quotes.

DeePee

Eh, makings mobs, items and warps aren't really considered scripting IMO (those weren't the things he pointed at anyway). Most of it is just copying existing things, changing some names and values and that's all there's to it. Actual scripting is writing up something completely from scratch. Even then, anyone can learn it really... eAthena scripting is not overly hard in most cases, unless you create something very, very advanced. When it comes to making advanced source code edits it gets a bit more difficult.

tracer

It's all located in the script command document, it's still a script whether you consider it or not. Even then, the main point here is that while others are capable to developing some awesome scripts, most server owners are still using there prehistoric scripts in the custom folder, or using others script located in the database, like taking candy from a stranger. Anyways its all part of the rant.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
4444 Quotes.

Tom~

fRO scripts are awesome. They scripted more things than monsters and items. They made a new concept of WoE.

Most server owners made their servers because of money. They don't think scripting is really necessary; actually, it isn't. You can easily make a server in less than 10 minutes. :<

And so you killed yourself,
but you killed everyone else around you too.

Source

Should something be done or is this the end for quality RO servers out there.

Looking at it from an economic point of view, servers that have less to offer players in terms of what is actually wanted in their Ragnarok gaming experience will eventually die out, with players instead choosing to opt for such servers as you have mentioned.

Whilst on first thought one may therefore then conclude that small servers are a drain on the Ragnarok community, quite the opposite is true, as such servers can in fact be a good thing, in that it drives said larger servers to maintain and extend their competitive advantage (remember, competition is a ALWAYS a good thing).

On a side note, eAthena should also be commended. Their team have developed an open source project that is of such a high standard, yet have been able to maintain a higher user friendly nature.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

tracer

I rather not get into economics because I can write quite a lengthy post if I do. To address your causation, small servers that died out might scare players away from RO than to move them to another server, since there are always other MMORPGs. Even if a certain server were to script what the players wants, not necessarily they will rise up because there are other variables. But the main argument here is that there are way to many low quality server(terribly scripted) out there, and thats never a good thing, because they have absolutely no chance with the largers servers, hence no competition. In an economic point of view, if you can't script, don't run a server. Its just the same as if you can't build houses, don't build some cheap s*** that would collapse later on.
@tracer Damn so badass!!
Yeah!
Mission Accomplished!
Someone's got to say it.
4444 Quotes.

bleu

I am not a GM or an Admin, I am just an ordinary player and I don't see anything wrong that I don't know how to write scripts. Anyways, should Admin/GM have some knowledge of scripting? Sure I guess.

However, I wouldn't jump to conclusion claiming that Rebirth, Essence and FeelRO are better than other servers at scripting. There's nothing special about custom mobs or custom items or custom sprites; many servers have them in some form or another. Not all servers are the same, some servers like EssenceRO and FeelRO caters to players who appreciates customs, while other players prefers a server which stay true to Ragnarok Online. (i.e. no wings. no custom mobs. nothing too fancy... just higher rates). Just because a server does not have a custom GvG called Dungeon Wars, doesn't necessary mean they are not good at scripting; they may choose not to do so because their player base don't appreciate those custom changes. While there are a few notable eA contributors who also owns and runs a server, sadly none of their servers are ranked as top servers. Perhaps, there's something more to running a successful server than just advance scripting knowledge.

ragnazorg

Im a server admin as well and you can call me lazy for not scripting customs. Why? I only do scripting if its really needed  by the server or if I want it available on my server. I'm not a big fan of customs so yeah before anything else I tend to write up server features and all so players wont be confused or anything. I do restrictions etc etc or some source code modifications that is basically needed on my server. Some servers die if the Admins themself cant support the monthly expenses of the server and is just relying on donations or rather they're pissed off and they dont want the server anymore but I guess scripting is not a big issue.

You can always pay a good scripter but basically all you need to know is how to run your server do edits etc etc and support it (financially) since donations are not really mandatory.

GorthexTiger

Quote from: bleu on Nov 29, 2009, 10:20 AM
Perhaps, there's something more to running a successful server than just advance scripting knowledge.

This is true.

I think tracer is just trying to express his irritation with all the stock RO's there are now-a-days.

I mean custom items? Woo-hoo?
Custom mobs? Same sprites yah?
Donation items? Wow, totally unique <_<
Vote 4 (Insert Your Server's Crap) ? Wow, simply astonishing. [/sarcasm]

Things that used to make or break servers a long time ago simply are the new "standard". Most, can be ripped of eA.

Now if your a novice admin, you're either stuck with a broken script (because roughly 75% of scripts on eA are broken when downloaded) or searching for another one. If your an intermediate scripter you might have some luck trying to debug it and figure out whats wrong.

Advanced scripters aren't even on eA, they're sitting around trying to think of ideas TO script.

I'm somewhat on tracer's level of frustration; RO isn't about what RO used to be anymore. Custom items and mobs and etc is all nice and good, but, when you have 15 different items that do the same thing, people don't think it's new anymore.

And as a server admin, if your trying to keep your server alive and on that "competitive edge", a little bit of customization knowledge is needed, not just 'Oh i'm going to reduce delay today!' s***. Otherwise, like people have said, the 13-year-old that starts up a server will have it die in 2 months. If that long.

Quote from: ragnazorg on Dec 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
You can always pay a good scripter....

S> A Scripter :P
Read about the "Great Dramas" Part 1, Part 2, & Part 3