Ragarnok Offline?

Started by Garlyle, Jun 21, 2007, 04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garlyle

Umm, yeah.  If my topic title doesn't speak for itself, here's the basis of it.

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever stumbled across an 'Offline' version of Ragnarok - like a client that uses the player's own computer as a server (and maybe with any luck allows for customisability of drop rates, monster appearance rates, etc.), or something like that.  I'd love to have a version of RO that I could play on my laptop when I'm out of range of wireless internet/on the move, you know?  Or even just for the time when my router is failing hardcore ><

Just curious to know if such a thing exists.
Dood.

Pow

I'm not sure if this is what you meant - but its the first thing that came to mind =\

Raganrok Battle Offline

I think its only a side scroller though.. nothing like the normal RO.

:(
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Garlyle

Y'know, I have to admit that post had a lot of good things.
1. You have a penguin in your avatar.
2. The 'blogger' for the site uses Rabbids.
3. RBO was apparently developped by French-Bread - this makes me excited, because French Bread is partially responsible for Melty Blood, if I'm right - one of the best fighting games of all times.

However, this isn't quite what I'm after; I'm literally after a way to play Ragnarok Online without actually -being- online, so I have something to do when interwebs are not available.

One solution did occur to me, involving literally creating your own server on your computer but not making it publically accessible; but I don't know where I'd even start with that o-o
Dood.

Pow

Oh I see, well running your own server on a home computer, and then trying to play it at the same time = massive resource hog.

You can still do it if you have lots of RAM (atleast 1 gig [1024mb]to play as well as run.. You can do it with 512... but its ewww, but thats just my personal opinion, who am I to tell you what to do  :-\)

Anywho, this would be a good place to start :P

Johnbad

isn't it if you use eathena to amke a server you can use the loopback adress so only your computer can access it? I remember doing that. except i think you still need an inernet connection to use the loopback ip.

Pandora

Setting up a txt test server is not too hard, there are easy setup guides on eAthena. Just put 127.0.0.1 in your sclientinfo and you're all set. Granted you will need a computer that's average or better, 500 meg of ram should be sufficient altough 1 gig is better, 2ghz or above.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Johnbad

ah so you don't need a connection for the loopback

Pandora

[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

ominz

It's still a hassle to make an offline server for yourself. You need to set up MYSQL and everything, as far as I know, or is this only for getting the server hosted 24/7?

Last time I tampered with setting up a server it was basically running four .exe files and that was it.
Stop posting, dammit.

Glenn

The txt version doesn't use Mysql.
-- Ragna-Retired --

Garlyle

Mmm?  Okay, I'll have to look a little closer into it; though it'll still apparently be quite the hassle to set up o-o

Still though, my laptop's got a gig of RAM (and about 2ghz), so that's not the major concern; it's how much I'm actuall willing to do...
Dood.

Glenn

It's really not that hard, they have already compiled versions, so al you have to do is set up crucial settings like rates and add the few npcs that you want, wich are generally already coded in you just have to uncomment the ones you want.
-- Ragna-Retired --

Garlyle

Okay, so wait, if we're setting up a test server, what parts of the process can be skipped, if you don't need MySQL and stuff?  A lot of this stuff seems geared towards setting up a 24/7 server (I'd assume stuff like a static IP address and all that can be skipped)...
Dood.

Pow

You can just skip the MYSQL parts..

For a server just for yourself - you should just use eAthena TXT =\

Pandora

Yeah a txt server is not recomended for an open server, but if it's just for yourself it's great, and its much less of a hassle. You can skip the static ip part, like I said, just use 127.0.0.1 as ip in your sclientinfo

If you take the SVN as it is, it'll have rates 1/1/1 and all the basic npcs and configurations.

Just browse thru que conf folder if you want to customize some stuff. Check eAthena forums I recall they have an "easy setup guide" its like 5 steps or something.