Private server

Started by PhillepinO, Mar 14, 2007, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dravokivich

Quote from: _M_ on Apr 23, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure most servers use the kRO client and then modify (patch) it. :P

So while the emulator itself may arguably be legal, running a server with it isn't since they 1) modify the client and 2) use Gravity's maps, sprites, etc (theft of intellectual property).

but thats the thing.... thats a player using that, none of it is on the server.

Max

Right, so you're saying the server owner is free of blame and the players are the guilty ones?  ;)

Anyway, read http://www.eathena.ws/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=79461&view=findpost&p=708481
and if you're interested in the subject you might want to read the whole thread, the general consensus is that pservers are indeed illegal, but that gravity doesn't usually bother with them anyway.

dravokivich

I've prolly posted on that thread.

There is no copyrighted information within eAthena that belongs to gravity.

You'll notice that within that topic the basis of the legality is around the use of the client.

The client which is not loaded in any way by eAthena.

its loaded by the user/player/gamer/that of which has no life.

Cyxult

Quote from: dravokivich on Mar 15, 2007, 10:02 AM

very few servers use aegis because its hard to customize and add new stuff to. Its also well known for being unstable and unreliable.

Also the version of Aegis out there is an incomplete copy of it. so getting aegis to work is like playing a game of hangman.

its just easier to use eA or freya so most people use those.

Sorry, but Aegis is far more stable than eA or Freya.  eA is the least stable of the three you mentioned.  Freya is stable, but lacks updates.  On top of that, Freya is dead.  The emulator you use should be dictated by what you are using it for.  I believe any low rate server should run Aegis, because of its superior stability.  eAthena, in my opinion, is easier to manipulate and customize things.  It's more personal preference of what you use, because Gravity isn't going to sue anyone over RO, they already lost the battle.
[color=orange][ Amplified Reality ] ~ [color=orange][ 2000/2000/500/100[/color] ] ~ [ Grand Opening: 4/27/07 ] ~ [ Our RMS Listing ]

Pandora

My server very rarely crashed and it's using eAthena, so it might be more stable than you think, depends what you do with it I guess. When my server went down it was related to internet provider or hardware with the machine (example lack of space on hard drive). Aegis is however very stable and closer to gravity in terms of game mechanics, but harder to customize as others have said before.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]