Private server

Started by PhillepinO, Mar 14, 2007, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillepinO

I am not sure about where to post this but here it goes..

apologies.. >.<

Are private servers illegal?  Why or why not?

Emeralda

Private servers running on emulator software (eAthena, Freya etc.) are legal in a way. Gravity sued the creators and lost. But those that still run on Aegis software, which is Gravities child, are illegal as in other words, it still belongs to them and every such server owner may easily pay the consequences.

yC

Quote from: Emmie on Mar 14, 2007, 03:04 PM
Private servers running on emulator software (eAthena, Freya etc.) are legal in a way. Gravity sued the creators and lost. But those that still run on Aegis software, which is Gravities child, are illegal as in other words, it still belongs to them and every such server owner may easily pay the consequences.

I heard about the sue but no one tell me if it was true, are you sure?

there's a big thread in the eA forum debate this and they kind of say hosting the server running eAthena is legal however hosting an modified client of Ragnarok Online is not.  But for most servers you have to host the modified client in order for your players to use it to connect to your server... so ...

Also, i heard few people said gravity called their server host or ISP said they running an illegal thing and have they shut down.  That save the time & money from suing and still does the trick if the owner don't want to get in trouble and the host is being co-operative.

Emeralda

Quote from: yC on Mar 14, 2007, 03:14 PM
Quote from: Emmie on Mar 14, 2007, 03:04 PM

I heard about the sue but no one tell me if it was true, are you sure?

I read it in a newspaper once. It was also on Wikipedia but it was removed cause it wasn't relevant to the subject.

dravokivich

there's no point in them actually going all out and suing private servers, it'll cost more money then they may gain from a law suit.

Also they threaten to sue by using e-mails. I know of no Court in any country that accept e-mails as a form of threat or legal notification. Unless someone actually goes up to your door and hands you a letter of notice you have nothing to worry about.

Jayne Cobb

i beleive eathena itself is not iligal, but the servers are. the reason why is because they are using their copyrighted graphics

Virgil

Hear me out
If product is
30% diferent then original
Then it is legal be happy
so now it dpeends on how the one in charge of telling the diferences will do it
Staff/name/jobs/customs/client
EVERY single thing that isn t like Original product normaly counts
:)

No advertisement in shout box

Emeralda

Unfortunately for you this ain't true for RO. It was already stated by law that emulators - ok, Aegis - bad.

Krystalx

is there any other ilegal server around besides anima ? that's the only one I've seen on aegis.

dravokivich

Quote from: Krystalx on Mar 15, 2007, 08:38 AM
is there any other ilegal server around besides anima ? that's the only one I've seen on aegis.

very few servers use aegis because its hard to customize and add new stuff to. Its also well known for being unstable and unreliable.

Also the version of Aegis out there is an incomplete copy of it. so getting aegis to work is like playing a game of hangman.

its just easier to use eA or freya so most people use those.

There is a forums for Aegis that had a list your aegis server topic, but its kinda dead. the entire site that is. on the odd occasion around a big RO release there'll be a few people posting but thats about it.

Jayne Cobb

Quote from: dravokivich on Mar 15, 2007, 10:02 AM
Quote from: Krystalx on Mar 15, 2007, 08:38 AM
Its also well known for being unstable and unreliable.
I don't know where you got that from. Thats the main reason why people use Aegis

dravokivich

Well this aint the place to talk about server emu's and Aegis, but 1 things for sure, there is little to no point in running Aegis. You only get bits and pieces of the actual services that gravity are running on their servers.

I've seen the ep 10 version of Aegis and its fecking remedial in relation to eAthena.

Max

Well then you may want to check again. The server I play on (www.ragnarok-royale.com) is running Aegis 11.1, it's working great and it's nearly as updated as the official korean servers. You also mixed up what you said since Aegis (being the official software) is actually more stable and reliable than the emulators.

Furthermore, any private server is illegal. Aegis because it's the official software (and they didn't pay for it, so it's software piracy), and Athena & Freya because they're modifying Gravity's client files (copyright violation). I don't think Gravity really cares about either unless perhaps a large player base and donation money is involved.

dravokivich

Quote from: _M_ on Apr 23, 2007, 07:16 AM
Well then you may want to check again. The server I play on (www.ragnarok-royale.com) is running Aegis 11.1, it's working great and it's nearly as updated as the official korean servers. You also mixed up what you said since Aegis (being the official software) is actually more stable and reliable than the emulators.

Furthermore, any private server is illegal. Aegis because it's the official software (and they didn't pay for it, so it's software piracy), and Athena & Freya because they're modifying Gravity's client files (copyright violation). I don't think Gravity really cares about either unless perhaps a large player base and donation money is involved.

you do realise that eAthena and freya dont use any client data right?

Max

I'm pretty sure most servers use the kRO client and then modify (patch) it. :P

So while the emulator itself may arguably be legal, running a server with it isn't since they 1) modify the client and 2) use Gravity's maps, sprites, etc (theft of intellectual property).