Privacy? Are GMs entitled to it as well?

Started by Denia, Apr 04, 2008, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skotlex

Quote from: Pandora on Jun 27, 2008, 02:38 PM
It's pretty annoying when you're on the 10th floor of Thanatos Tower with 7 other people and a players PMs you and expect you to make the whole party wait while you switch to your GM char to assist his problem, ...
Make a rule: When you are not in your GM char, you are off-duty, you are not working, you are under no obligation to reply, you are on your break. You may at most make a mental note, but no response should be expected.

Being a GM is not being a doctor where they can call you into duty anytime of the day, regardless of what you are doing. When you are playing, for $Deity's sake, PLAY, and forget about work. It is your only chance at sanity now that people have gotten hold of who your char is. And if people insist in bothering, use /exall.

(RMS reviews)

Boreas

Thats why I don't bother logging on my normal characters anymore.

Its sad but becoming a GM changes your whole gameplay alot. ~_~

NightZZ

Quote from: DeePee on Apr 05, 2008, 05:40 AM
I don't see why not.
The GM's of an RO server were also players once and they obviously like the game, so I don't see a problem with it. As long as they work for their gears like a normal player does and don't abuse any GM powers, it's all fine. There'll always be some players who will scream that you're using illegit gears, but you'll always have idiots on every server :)

About telling people about it...I guess you can look at it from two ways.

1. If you'd make it public that you are in fact a GM, you just know you will be bothered with what-not. Especially on a highly populated server as anthemRO, I don't think you can play in "peace" without having people spam you with questions.
2. If you would keep it hidden, you'd have to do it pretty damn good. As said at point 1, you're on a highly populated server, so if you are not careful enough, they will find out eventually. As there'll always be idiots, there'll probably be flaming about you "secretly" playing and such and rumours will cause more e-drama.

Eh, yeah...I guess if you'd do it, I'd go for the second option, to just keep it hidden and hope for the playerbase to not flame about it if they ever find out.
Agreed.

Pandora

Quote from: Skotlex on Jun 28, 2008, 04:12 AM
Make a rule: When you are not in your GM char, you are off-duty, you are not working, you are under no obligation to reply, you are on your break. You may at most make a mental note, but no response should be expected.

Being a GM is not being a doctor where they can call you into duty anytime of the day, regardless of what you are doing. When you are playing, for $Deity's sake, PLAY, and forget about work. It is your only chance at sanity now that people have gotten hold of who your char is. And if people insist in bothering, use /exall.
Ya, we got a sort of guideline that goes like "only pm gm on their legit if it's an emergency", but player's conception of what constitutes an "emergency" sometimes greatly differs from my personal opinion >_<

Usually if you politely explain that you're not available most will understand, only a few buggers will insist. /exall works well too, and I've made use of it sometimes if I'm really not in the mood, best to ignore rather than to lash out at people ^^

lol @ $Deity XD
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

ulzimate

GMs should not be allowed to have legits, regardless of their GM levels (whether or not they can spawn items, give levels, etc). Many players don't have an understanding of the GM level system, and so they might fear that any GM with a legit character might actually have an illegit character. Also, a GM may become too attached to his character, and may begin to neglect his duties as a GM.

Despite how much a person says they will have self control, it usually turns out for the worse.
It's for the sake of the server for GMs to be fully committed to their job. They should be fully aware of the consequences of their commitment, and if they're not ready to accept the consequences, they're not ready to make that commitment.

Pandora

That's when GMing becomes work. All work and no play makes for a dull experience.

I'm not ready to make that sacrifice (stop playing entirely) and I consider myself to be pretty hardcore dedicated and committed to my server. I work on it about 30 hours weekly and get to play about 10~15 hours I'd say, and I need that play time.

In addition, playing keeps me in the beat of the server, I can see things from a player's perspective. Anyhow, to each their own opinion, I don't hide the fact that I play, so hopefully someone who dislikes it doesn't join and finds themselves a server where gm don't play at all (good luck).
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

Loki

What's the use of server owners if they can't control their GMs and let alone the server?

GMs should be allowed to have a legit and the server owner should be alert to any unlegitness.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

Descent

Quote from: ulzimate on Jul 04, 2008, 06:54 AM
GMs should not be allowed to have legits, regardless of their GM levels (whether or not they can spawn items, give levels, etc). Many players don't have an understanding of the GM level system, and so they might fear that any GM with a legit character might actually have an illegit character. Also, a GM may become too attached to his character, and may begin to neglect his duties as a GM.

Despite how much a person says they will have self control, it usually turns out for the worse.
It's for the sake of the server for GMs to be fully committed to their job. They should be fully aware of the consequences of their commitment, and if they're not ready to accept the consequences, they're not ready to make that commitment.

I have to strongly disagree. The allowance of legits is purely a trust issue, and if you can't trust your staff to control themselves whilst on a legit and not fall victim to the temptation of generating items and hacking their stats, then you obviously can't trust your staff to handle issues in a professional manner, work with updates, scripting, et cetera.

It kind of helps too that the staff of my server isn't all children(no offense to anybody here who are under 18). I'm the Admin/Server Developer of my server, and I'm 26. My head GM is 24. The youngest member of the team is 19. There have been absolutely no trades to and from GMs to legits, no @iteming anything that isn't mean to be an event prize, and every staffer who has a legit on my server still builds with 7237 points like everybody else, gets killed in PVP and WoE like everybody else, and plays the game like everybody else.

If you can't trust your staffers to have a legit, then the server's staff definitely has a problem.

Rehael

Quote from: Loki on Jul 04, 2008, 08:06 AM
GMs should be allowed to have a legit and the server owner should be alert to any unlegitness.
No, they should not have one. It's a matter of being proffesional.
A GM Legit equals an unfair advantage in some way or another. It can be just the fact that he can warp to check if the mvp is still alive or not and he can also tour & see what ppl are doing in castles inside of WOE. as it can expand to other stuff as we've seen on the ro servers these last years.
The Greatest Server is in preparation phase : http://valiantro.com
Setting the standard so high the other servers will look like noob stuff. ;)

well theres this problem though

if a GM never plays a legit, they never have to go out, make money, and level, then when it comes to possibly nerfing things if ppl ask they'll have absolutely no experience with the item/thing in question which makes nerfing it incredibly hard for them to do

not to mention professional GM's get paid real money to do their GM jobs, on our private servers we its extremely rare to see a GM who gets paid real cash

so to sum it up i think that: GM's can have legits, but they shouldn't make it public, and they have to have very strict rules set to what they can do as a GM

Majora_younglink

Quote from: Rehael on Jul 04, 2008, 10:04 AM
Quote from: Loki on Jul 04, 2008, 08:06 AM
A GM Legit equals an unfair advantage in some way or another. It can be just the fact that he can warp to check if the mvp is still alive or not and he can also tour & see what ppl are doing in castles inside of WOE. as it can expand to other stuff as we've seen on the ro servers these last years.

Being a legit means he DOESN'T use those things. He/she only uses what any normal player can use.

Also its all about trust. I personally don't care if a GM has a legit or not as long as its actually a legit.

Descent

Quote from: Rehael on Jul 04, 2008, 10:04 AM

I think you need to go back and learn the definition of a legit, Rehael. A legit account is in the server's login SQL and CP as a "Level 0", or a normal player account. I fail to see the lack of professionalism for playing the game.

There's no such thing as a "GM Legit", unless if you're referring to characters that the Admin gives GM commands on a Player's Sprite.

Brainstorm

QuoteNo, they should not have one. It's a matter of being proffesional.
Its a matter of you dont have crap idea of what you are talking about.
Period.

I seriously despise any server owner AND/OR game-master that dont play their own server, that shows up how much they care about it.
I have seen to many instances of servers that their gms were playing something else (wow, lineage, or whatever uber-3D crap is on high at the moment), and only attending to their player needs on a week basis (on the best scenario), lacking on updates, letting their server to be hacked and exploited by people and do nothing about it.

Being honest, do you REALLY believe that if you dont trust the owners of the server your play to be honest with their characters and not @item themselves, that they wont have a "legit" (how i hate that word) character and not do stuff behind scenes? If so, you really need to grow up, the world doesnt spin that way.

Again, you should review your concepts about what are you looking for when playing a game. Do you really think that being the best at some unknown private server pvp ranking makes you any important? So what if the server owner @item'ed himself and beats you on pvp (or woe, for all i care), does that make him better than you enough to hurt your e-ego (to not call it e-penis) and you must hate him for having fun on his OWN server the way he WISH to?

Loki

There's no law against GMs having a legit. Its a matter of trust and opinion too. If you don't trust the GMs who have legit, don't play the server. I once played a community server where the GM @item himself and joined a guild. I personally don't give a crap because even with @item, he still gets 100k+ SBK from my guild mates (Note: This was a blvl 255 HR PvP and WoE base server. You can pretty much get anything without grinding too much; Thanatos ftw).

So...GM can have a legit if they want to. I think with legits and people not knowing they have one, the GMs would have a better insight on the community.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

Rehael

Wow, you guys are so aggressive.
But alright.
So i'm talking crap heh?, i don't know what's the definition of legit ?

Skip the word legit & let's go straight to the definition of the word FAIR PLAY :: That means that NO PARTICIPANT IN THE GAME OF ANY KIND should have ANY KIND OF ADVANTAGE NO MATTER HOW SMALL IT IS OVER ANOTHER PLAYER

And a Game Master who also plays in the game with another character even if it is an account with 0 Powers, still has a lot of advantages that can reach a very high level.
Not necessarily giving items,not really killing everybody with his GM Char. Just spying in castles or maybe warping his char & his girl friend & his whole damn guild or maybe tanking an mvp.

Now if you don't agree, then it is you crap tards shouldn't administer a server for other people because it would seem to me, here in this topic that you just want to "standardize" the GM legit thing' so you can do it too.
The Greatest Server is in preparation phase : http://valiantro.com
Setting the standard so high the other servers will look like noob stuff. ;)