Pre-RO [4 Map Servers?]

Started by kopono, May 24, 2007, 02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kopono

Hi, I wasn't sure if it's true or not, but Pre-RO states that they have "4 Map Servers!" on their Control Panel. Right... "http://extreme.pre-ro.net/cp/" there. But the thing which totally throws me off is the fact that they state that their player count on their Control Panel is totally off and that they have "300 Players On!". From my knowledge of eAthena, the player count is taken from the mySQL which is constantly updated by the Login_server_SQL.

I even screened it (./screen login-server_sql) in Linux and from what I can see, the player count relies on the Login Server, not the "Multiple Map Servers". Besides the proxy voting (I have evidence) that they do on Top Sites/GameSites 200/ETC., they lie about their peak players.

It gets to the point where the server is being totally unethical in terms of the use of donations too. If warrant provided, they could be in deep trouble with Gravity since their donations isn't being used primarily on the server/other services & organizations, and it's being used as profit.

Glenn

So.. whats the problem?
Lying about peek players isnt too big a deal imo.

I realize your state they proxy voting sites.. but that doesn't really effect RMS. Unless they are doing it to write reviews.

How servers use their donations is of no innterest to us either.
-- Ragna-Retired --

Pandora

I beg to differ Glenn. I think players might be interrested to know if a server uses the donation money to improve the server or for the admin's personal benefit.

Proxy voting on tops is also relevant in the server report section. As for lying about peek players well that's more of a grey area I suppose, player count varies.
[color=darkblue]heRO is a great friendly, pre-renweal, unique and fun server with a great community, give it a try![/color]

[color=darkblue]Click here to find out more about heRO![/color]

bentheexo

I am going to do some investigating into this 4 map server situation. As a programmer myself I am very curious as to how they did that because that means that they should have 1 root login and 4 char and 4 map servers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok so heres the deal with their servers they have  2 Mid rate server based in Europe. 1 of them being a PK Server. They have 2 US Server of a high rate. They have the same deal when it comes to the PK part. Their users online part of their control panel only shows the US Pk Server which has about 131 people on it but no where do I see where theres 300+ people online

Rbread

It's possible for them to have 4 map servers, with a little modification.  The main reason why their player count might be off is because each server would most likely have a seperate entry in the `sstatus` table.  They may be extracting the value of only one server.  However, this would be highly improbable since taking all the values and adding it up isn't exactly rocket science.  I wouldn't be surprised if they lie about their player count.

denoyah

from what i was told you can only have 2 plus they wouldnt miss count because i used to use dual map servers long ago and it was 100% correct
i have quit ro due to being f*** over to many times cya guys

kopono

Yes, my point is that the CHARACTER Server saves the User count.

This is from my char_server_sql (./ char_server_sql on Linux)
[Info]: Saved char 156379 - architect: status.
[Info]: Saved guild (3208 - SkyLine): connect members
[Info]: User Count: 135 (Server: 0)
[Info]: Saved guild (139 - The Unknown): members
[Info]: Saved char 203308 - beldung: inventory status.

The map server has no relevance to saving the user count, therefore they are lying on their CP page as well.

bentheexo

Quote from: denoyah on May 26, 2007, 12:01 PM
from what i was told you can only have 2 plus they wouldnt miss count because i used to use dual map servers long ago and it was 100% correct

you were told wrong you can have as many map servers as you have char servers but you only need 1 login server. so in other words one user and pass works for 36 chars and 4 different worlds.

akihito

maybe
1 login , 4 char & 4 map

Caprion

I thought the map server pretty much handled everything that goes on... how do you link the four to communicate with each other?  Just a curiousity question on my part.

akihito

thats easy =P

just open a different port and different "S" account then they are able to communicate

Caprion

Quote from: akihito on Jun 07, 2007, 03:12 PM
thats easy =P

just open a different port and different "S" account then they are able to communicate

Ah, thank you.  Not exactly easy for those of us who don't have the patience to deal with the condescending eAthena folks.

aquameep

The donations goes directly to me. We use the money to upgrade are servers constantly. We just spent a thousand dollars on advertising around many sites and upgrading our servers to a 10mbit back bone. [comment removed]

About our player count, why don't you download our patch and check it out? ^^ We have 1 login, 4 char 4 map. All servers have a different entry in sstatus and i have no idea how to fix it :/ [comment removed]

Posted on: June 10, 2007, 11:48:47 PM
[racist comment removed] :> [comment removed]

Learn to behave young man.

Mieu

Slightly off-topic, but while you're at it, you might want to tell your players that advertising for PreRO on other servers' forums makes your server look terrible!  I know it wasn't you doing it, because you have such a high player count and all, you wouldn't resort to something like that to expand your playerbase. :]

Mieu

(EDIT:  The person who posted before my double-post deleted what they said xP)

Mine.

Let it be noted that it's not the server owner doing the advertising, he/she awards donation credit to those who advertise on other forums, be they for general Ragnarok topics or other servers' boards.

I decided rather than get into this here (since it doesn't really deal with the max-players issue) I just posted a little FYI thread in this forum.