Pre-Renewal & Renewal [ Combination Server ]

Started by Lunar@SM, Feb 02, 2018, 02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunar@SM

What do YOU want to play? Renewal or Pre-Renewal?
What if there's no need to choose between, but instead You can play what you feel like at a moments notice?
What if you still want to keep in touch in-game with your friends / guild while playing either of the two?

And what if you want to play at a certain rate but the server you like is different?
What if my friends prefer to play lowrate while I play midrate though?
No need to worry about that either.
We have added @baserate + @jobrate which allows you to specify your own rates up to the rate you want between 1 - 100.
A player's own rate ignores the server's default rate and let's you play with anyone you want with a rate of your own choosing.
Any rate can party with each other, however the EXP you gain depends solely on your own rates, even if someone with another rate kills a monster.

You can select your own rate between 1-100.

Links:
Website
Register
Dowload
Discord

Is there a benefit to using lower rates?

QuoteUpon reaching max level* it'll check the rates you've been using to
reach the maximum level. Depending on the rates used you might
receive a permanent bonus to looting for your character.

EXP Rates used                           Drop bonus
      ----------------------------------------------------------
         1    x               |               50%
         2    x               |               40%
         3    x               |               39%
         4    x               |               38%
         5    x               |               35%
         6-10 x             |               30%
         11-15x            |               25%
         16-20x            |               20%
         21-30x            |               10%
         31-40x            |                5%
         41-50x            |                3%
         51-60x            |                2%
         61-90x            |                1%
         91+  x             |                0%

These rates stack together with a bubble gum but are not boosted by
a bubble gum. This rate is a constant and is automatically applied
to commands such as @mobinfo, @whodrops.

You automatically receive an icon upon reaching the maximum level,
which shows you the permanent loot bonus. However, if the bonus is 0,
you'll not gain any icons.

This special drop bonus is a very rewarding method based on effort.

*This will only work if the class has been rebirthed and / or is the last
possible class for a class tree.

Example: This will not work on a Knight but a rebirthed Baby Knight or
Lord Knight. However it'll work on a max-level Star Gladiator and such.

The project was released on Shining Moon on the 9th of February 2018, that was the date the Pre-Renewal server was launched.

The Renewal is based on 16.1
The Pre-Renewal is based on 13.2

The idea was to give players a much wider choice of things they can do, without limiting what can actually be done.

So how does an actual swap between Renewal and Pre-Renewal would actually look like?

Why is there a level-up angel when you swapped?
Basically the client does not really like that all the data it had on your character is completly different prior to the warp, so client gets updated with the new information which basically looks like you're leveling up - but you don't.

Seperated:
- Inventory, Storage, Guild Storage, Cart, roDEX, Pets, Homunculus
- Achievement, Quests,
- Characters, Zeny, Bank, Venders, Buyingstores

Shared:
- Guilds & Guild Chat, Party & Party Chat [ Messages are shown / sent no matter where the player is ]
- #support, #global [ #Support adds an extra PRE or RE tag to the Name ]
- Whispers, Friends

Character Select
Example:
You have a 175/60 Ranger named Shiro in Renewal, with 150 items in inventory, items equipped, skills, stats and a pet
In Pre-Renewal you have a 99/70 High Priest with the name Shiro as well and 55 items in inventory, items equipped, skills stats and no pet

The character select will display like above based on what you last played, but that can be changed at any point ingame using a World Gate.

Can I party with someone from Renewal while I'm in Pre-Renewal?
Basically, yes. To at least invite the other person you have to be on the server he / she is online on.

Renewal & Pre-Renewal each have their own "world" with their own Monsters, Items, Maps, NPC's - however they're still connected.
Both have the server's custom features however they might differ based on what you're playing.

Example:
Pre-Renewal does not use the servers Weapon Evolution feature, as it is pretty obsolete there.

What if my friends don't like custom Wings / Headgears while I love them?
Well we have added @disable_headgears which automatically disables every headgear shown on yourself and others around you.
They can still see their own, only the view for yourself was adjusted.
[ This can be good to reduce lag caused by the clients sprite rendering of Headgears, since every movement of the player causes it to update the Headgears to the client. ]
Shining Moon Servers:
Helheim - kRO-like official gears. Max Level 200/70
Niflheim - jRO, iRO and kRO gears. Max Level 200/70

https://www.shining-moon.com

yC

Interesting idea, from what I am reading you are making a mega server which contain maps, items, jobs, skills and monsters of both pre-re and pre to allow this to happen.  The "world gate" is a character switch but there is no two server instance running, both worlds are running as one server with all the pre-re and re maps etc?  Am I understanding this correctly?  If so I am curious are all the pre-re and re mechanic can be separated like that. 

Or just tell me I am thinking on the wrong track, maybe they are really two separated servers but that make things more complicated than I could imagine because some parts are still connected.

Lunar@SM

Its 2 Map-servers.
1 Map server is configurated as Renewal,
1 Map server is configurated as Pre-Renewal

both are connected to 1 Character server and the core of the character server have been rewritten to support 2 fully seperated servers.

The World Gate is a intermap-server warp, which is pretty much a "Character Select" between Renewal & Pre-Renewal, yes.

Each map server has its own "world" which contains all the configurations based on what it's configurated for.
[ Its original database ( Monsters, Items, Quests, Achievements, skills, job databases and such ), Spawns, NPCs, Warps ]

[Status]: Map-Server 0 connected: 981 maps, from IP x.x.x.x port xxxx.
[Status]: Map-server 0 loading complete.
[Status]: Map-server 0 - Configurated as Pre-Renewal.
[Status]: Map-Server 1 connected: 1060 maps, from IP x.x.x.x port xxxx.
[Status]: Map-server 1 loading complete.
[Status]: Map-server 1 - Configurated as Renewal.

For the Character server it doesn't matter which is on 1 and 0.

[Info]: Char load request (150030)
[Info]: Loaded pre-renewal char (150030 - Anubis):  pre-status pre-memo 0 pre-skills shared-friends pre-hotkeys pre-pvprank pre-pkrank pre-bgstats pre-woestats pre-skillcount pre-mercenary
[Info]: Loaded Pre-Storage data for account_id: 2000002 (total: 585)
[Info]: Loaded Pre-Cart data for char_id: 150030 (total: 0)
[Info]: Loaded Pre-Inventory data for char_id: 150030 (total: 2)
[Info]: mail load complete from preDB - id: 150030 (total: 0)

And this is what a switch looks like:
[Info]: Saved Pre-renewal char 150030 - Anubis: pre-status pre-skills.
[Info]: Char load request (150030)
[Info]: Loaded renewal char (150030 - Anubis):  status memo 0 skills shared-friends hotkeys pvprank pkrank bgstats woestats skillcount mercenary
[Info]: Loaded Storage data for account_id: 2000002 (total: 291)
[Info]: Loaded Cart data for char_id: 150030 (total: 0)
[Info]: Loaded Inventory data for char_id: 150030 (total: 6)
[Info]: mail load complete from DB - id: 150030 (total: 0)
[Info]: User Count: 0 (Server: 0)

So the 2 are nicely seperated yet they're still connected through the Character server.
Shining Moon Servers:

Yuzo

Lunar@SM

Shining Moon Servers:

SukiChii

That's very interesting indeed.
I wouds love to see how it turns out.

Lunar@SM

Well I do have a test server running right now with it fully implemented and working in case someone wants to try it out and see it ^^
Shining Moon Servers:

Hell if I know

Waste of great potential. You should use this to create 3-4 LR/MR/HR/SHR map servers instead and merge all communities creating the ultimate server with the most potential for population. No one gives a turd about renewal.

Lunar@SM

No one said it will end there.
Anything is doable in the future.

I didn't write the code to only differ between 2 types but instead support the max value with allowing it to share certain things depending on the settings i chose. Any char-server can hold up to 30 map servers.

This might as well allow "Channel" system with different map-servers like in other games.
But I chose to split up certain things.

Plus @baserate and @jobrate pretty much kills the point of needing several lowrate servers.
Since it ignores the Server's Default Rate.
Shining Moon Servers:

Hell if I know

What I'm saying is try to create a place where LR/MR/HR players can all interact together while balancing the combat for each category's taste.

Woon

Wow I'm quite happy to see a project like this. I've seen servers with multiple map servers before, but nothing this smooth.

The one thing I kind of question is the individual rates. I think anyone will just max their rates so they can get gear and level as fast as possible. That feature may interest a very few people.

Now the real question. How will this affect performance? I know you obviously haven't been able to stress test the server, but do you have any concern about the servers lagging if you say hit 500+ players.

yennar

the idea of custom rates for every Player is a good one but:

Is there any benefit at all playing low rate, when you can just play high rates and get the same exp/Drops within a fracture of the usual time ?

Lunar@SM

Quote from: Woon on Feb 05, 2018, 02:22 AM
Now the real question. How will this affect performance? I know you obviously haven't been able to stress test the server, but do you have any concern about the servers lagging if you say hit 500+ players.

Well I rewrote the character select to select between 2 character db's, so theres no new stress really, since everytime you move around in the char select it'll select the 3 characters you see freshly from SQL.

As for the switch between the 2 servers, no extra stress either.
Originally when you swap between 2 map-servers it "kicks" you off server 1 and pushes you through the character server onto the other.

So basically its just like someone logging in with quite a few tweaks and changes as for what is loaded, saved and modified.

Since normally it'd load the same character just once more the Map-Servers register themselves to the character server by identifying themselves as to what they are and not just by socket, ip, port.

Because the reason there I had was... what if you played last pre-renewal but the pre-renewal map server is offline, yet it shows in char select pre-renewal.

Basically at this point it'll fully ignore what you last played and based on where you're going to connect to load the appropriate information and not what the users choice was.

Quote from: yennar on Feb 05, 2018, 06:33 AM
the idea of custom rates for every Player is a good one but:

Is there any benefit at all playing low rate, when you can just play high rates and get the same exp/Drops within a fracture of the usual time ?

Well, as for now I only limited it to EXP-rates, droprates I didn't see much benefit to as I doubt anyone will take lower droprates.
As for the EXP-rate though, there is no real benefit right now for taking a lower rate as you can change your rate while playing ingame through 2 commands: @baserate and @jobrate, it'll automatically adjust @mobinfo and such.

It's more meant for people that actually like the server for its features but prefer to play at a certain rate, however I pushed a limit to never go above the server's actual rate.
Meaning if there's an EXP event, the base and jobrate's limit can be adjusted to that, or not.

The same case for example goes with @disable_headgears, it's based on what players like and what they don't.
Example in the gif:

It's 2 clients next to each other the left client disables every headgear which removes them automatically from himself and everyone else.
While the right client has headgears still visible and can see them without any change to it.

As for latest addition:

It handles the quests, cooldowns, re-enter time, ( has no limit for re-entries, because I removed that purposely ), checks if the instance can be used on pre-renewal or renewal only or both for that matter.

Shining Moon Servers:

Insomnia2000

Very interesting idea! I think such a system would be very nice for high-population servers or could even lead to a very high population server. I don't get the combination of pre-renewal and renewal channels. Seems like there might be better options if you were wanting to amass a large population.

Another idea that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you could have one singular server, probably low-rate, but actually host the map servers in different parts of the world. You'd be able to host an EU/NA server, an SEA server, and an Asian server all in one and it would have a massive leg up on all the servers that try to do the proxy thing. And if they are all running on different map servers you could localize the content to be in the most popular language of that area. This way players could do 90% of their leveling on a server that offers the most optimal ping, but could still compete or team-up with other nationalities when needed.

It would also work well on high population servers having multiple channels to switch between like most other MMOs when one server feels too populated in your desired leveling area or too laggy.

Do you plan on releasing the 1 login, 1 char, 2 map server system at any point in the future? It seems like there's a lot of options out there and would probably be a great benefit to the community.

Yuzo

Quote from: Insomnia2000 on Feb 05, 2018, 09:11 AM
Very interesting idea! I think such a system would be very nice for high-population servers or could even lead to a very high population server. I don't get the combination of pre-renewal and renewal channels. Seems like there might be better options if you were wanting to amass a large population.

Another idea that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you could have one singular server, probably low-rate, but actually host the map servers in different parts of the world. You'd be able to host an EU/NA server, an SEA server, and an Asian server all in one and it would have a massive leg up on all the servers that try to do the proxy thing. And if they are all running on different map servers you could localize the content to be in the most popular language of that area. This way players could do 90% of their leveling on a server that offers the most optimal ping, but could still compete or team-up with other nationalities when needed.

It would also work well on high population servers having multiple channels to switch between like most other MMOs when one server feels too populated in your desired leveling area or too laggy.

Do you plan on releasing the 1 login, 1 char, 2 map server system at any point in the future? It seems like there's a lot of options out there and would probably be a great benefit to the community.
this idea very kewl. i remember when i played wow over 10 years ago you had to pay to exchange your char to a diff server. imagine being able to switch from one region to another quite seamlessly, without using bogus proxy servers (yes they're all show).