Player wants to buy Server for 4500USD, Server Owner accepted

Started by ~EXKillA~, Jan 08, 2009, 06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reyl

This community is more sadistic than I expected. Not that I'm saying I support the buyer or the original owner for taking such a deal, but intentionally going out of your way to cheat someone of $4500 is far more shady. You don't even win anything by doing this - you piss off some rich kid and struggle yourself with new costs and extensive server downtime to rebuild everything. The only winner is a lucky half-assed server owner who is now $4500 richer for the 2.5 years of work you put into his project. Congratulations.

I do think it's good for you to start a new server and take the players with you (the ones that wish to come anyway). Protect their account info while you're at it or at least make sure they know that it's compromised and no longer trustworthy. But sabotaging things on your way out is just as pathetic as trying to buy your way to a tiny internet kingdom. I don't mean to put myself on a pedestal of righteousness here, but I'm disappointed to find that nobody else seems to think that there's something wrong here.

Zone

I am not saying to sabotage anything, I am saying exactly as you say.
Give the person the server without risking those people's information.
For all we know he could use the email addresses to sell to advertisers and stuff.

Quote from: Zone on Jan 08, 2009, 03:25 PM
Make your own copy of the server.
If the kid wants to waste his money on it, back up the entire server, make users change their emails and passwords, then give him the unbacked up version and remake the server.

Server owner wins $4500 and the kid loses $4500 to his own stupidity.

See what I am saying?
I said nothing about giving him sabotaged files.
Now, he asked for the server, not the users, not the sql databases.
The custom items and npcs that the owner or development team scripted aren't the server.
The server is the core files.

Zelos

If I was there I would just screw up the server before I leave and tell the Admin to do it over if he wants the server still. I suggest leave the server take everything with you and become a successful GM elsewhere ;)

yC

Quote from: Reyl on Jan 10, 2009, 05:25 AM
This community is more sadistic than I expected. Not that I'm saying I support the buyer or the original owner for taking such a deal, but intentionally going out of your way to cheat someone of $4500 is far more shady. You don't even win anything by doing this - you piss off some rich kid and struggle yourself with new costs and extensive server downtime to rebuild everything. The only winner is a lucky half-assed server owner who is now $4500 richer for the 2.5 years of work you put into his project. Congratulations.

I do think it's good for you to start a new server and take the players with you (the ones that wish to come anyway). Protect their account info while you're at it or at least make sure they know that it's compromised and no longer trustworthy. But sabotaging things on your way out is just as pathetic as trying to buy your way to a tiny internet kingdom. I don't mean to put myself on a pedestal of righteousness here, but I'm disappointed to find that nobody else seems to think that there's something wrong here.

I agree with you to an extend, though I think we are merely here to "watch" what happen next and the commander is the OP only.  No one here has the power to change anything other than the OP.

From the OP's post it tells us that he has already decided to do this and that, no one can stop him.  There has to be victim to this case no matter what.  Either it's the buyer, the seller, the OP or the players.

I think the OP is trying to protect "his work".  He is willing to toss his savings for the server and the player shows he is determined. 

What he does is right or wrong is again like I always say, the reader will decide.

If you ask me.  I say this is not about trying to cheat a rich kid $4500, if it's that easy to "cheat" then there's no poor people.  This is about:

1) server owner fails to secure a deal (talking about a gm can stop him from taking the money safely)
2) buyer fails to see what he is buying (talking about he is willing to pay for something that someone has a copy ...)

Note that the OP does not intend to cheat the buyer's money.  Keep in mind the OP will not get any of that.  He is unhappy with the server owner yet the server owner fails to remove him from the server before selling.  The end result? We see this topic here.

The server owner might not be the winner in the end, if the buyer didn't get what he was "promised" to get, a chargeback might be possible.  Then the "winner" will become the biggest loser.

The result I think that will have less damage is that the buyer sees all this and decide to halt the deal.  So no one gets hurt, server stays up and running.  The OP might get kick out from the gm team but that's what happen in history whenever a rebellion fails.  Then according to history the kingdom will struggle to stay because the one that cares is no longer there.

It's an interesting case with unlimited possibilities. 

Reyl

Quote from: yC on Jan 10, 2009, 09:41 PM
The result I think that will have less damage is that the buyer sees all this and decide to halt the deal.  So no one gets hurt, server stays up and running.  The OP might get kick out from the gm team but that's what happen in history whenever a rebellion fails.  Then according to history the kingdom will struggle to stay because the one that cares is no longer there.

I like your idea a lot, yC. It sounds like an even better solution.

Zelos

Quote from: Reyl on Jan 11, 2009, 12:52 AM

I like your idea a lot, yC. It sounds like an even better solution.
True.

Descent

I fail to see how this...

Quote from: Various examples
when i told him in forum that i wont accept this decision he told me that he wont change much stuff and that "i can stay as a gm if i want to"
nja when i read the chatlogs of the server i found out that he will turn the server mostly into pvp, changing most of the mvp cards and other things

THAT Player:
that player mentioned above, is an american player, 19 years old, and is the best donater in my server
due to the fact that he is the best donater, he thinks that he can do what he want
he demands events for pvp and card changes and stuff for him, and when we 3 gms are against it he runs to our owner, cry in front of him and even got a AMOR [4] from him -.- on a MID rate server..
when we found out we deleted the amor and our owner went that mad that he nearly wanted to kick is
but nja... what shall we do...

we 3 will never allow it that someone *owner* just sells OUR work for money and give the ownership to someone which is NOT able to start a new, start again or runn a server!
we cant let it happen because of the players which play on because most of them will definitell leave this server

...counts as a "rebellion". What Admin wouldn't take the action that ExKilla is. If the donator in question really said "You can stay as a GM if you want to", what kind of attitude is that? He needs to learn money can't buy him everything, so there's two scenarios.

1) First of all, guys...the OP(ExKilla) is most likely not going to see a cent of this. So why should he just kowtow to Mr. Moneybags? Ridiculous.

2) Second of all, I can wholly understand why ExKilla would want to hang on to his work. If he has really, in fact, been there for two years, who wouldn't?

Again, either way, the scenario ends the same: If the deal goes through, this server is dead.

Though I do think that the donator is a liar too. Throwing 4500 to take over a server as opposed to a setup free for a fraction of the cost for his own? He's either smoking some good stuff or he's lying.

WatchingYou

Most people would sell for 4,5k$ i think. Very sad for you, though.
You should maybe see this as a chance, to get away from the old owner. ; )

yC

I suddenly remembered that Baka Ro deal that I heard from ancy.

If I remember correctly I think ancy was selling his Baka RO to one of his player for around 3~5k.  The different is that the player is smarter than in this case.  The player pay the amount in 3 or 4 installments over a period of few months to a year (i think).  This is obviously a better way to buy a server because who know what is going to happen after the "sell point" or within a month of selling.

It also proven it's an okay way to sell a server.  Because the end result to the Baka RO deal was ... well ... 

I believe the server either 1) got ran to the ground or 2) the server was dying at the "sell point" so donation amount dropped big time in the coming months which make the server worth much less or 3) players left for various reasons or 4) a combination of 1-3

and most importantly the player ended up didn't pay all of the installations and was not asked to pay them anyway as far as i know.

Scars

Zelos

Quote from: Scars on Jan 11, 2009, 09:55 PM
What are you trying to achieve with this post?
Like 3J said who was that supposedly said to?

Pow

Quote from: yC on Jan 11, 2009, 09:41 PM
I suddenly remembered that Baka Ro deal that I heard from ancy.

If I remember correctly I think ancy was selling his Baka RO to one of his player for around 3~5k.  The different is that the player is smarter than in this case.  The player pay the amount in 3 or 4 installments over a period of few months to a year (i think).  This is obviously a better way to buy a server because who know what is going to happen after the "sell point" or within a month of selling.

The attempted sale was to the then current Co-Admin, "Boots" and another Co-Buyer who wishes to have their identity remain quiet. The price was far beyond that amount, but we will not go into the private details here. The server was actually payed for in monthly installments over the period of a few months until the deal fell through (See below).

It also proven it's an okay way to sell a server.  Because the end result to the Baka RO deal was ... well ... 

Baka was a bad example to use yC xD!

I believe the server either 1) got ran to the ground or 2) the server was dying at the "sell point" so donation amount dropped big time in the coming months which make the server worth much less or 3) players left for various reasons or 4) a combination of 1-3

The server got ran into the ground by Ancyker while the deal was taking place. The server's problems during the sale where the following:

• First of all - All of Brazil were IP banned, and half of the Philippines was also banned.
  • A first server wipe due to excess duping before a 'Tracking System' was written. [I believe this is now on RebirthRO, as well as the anti bot system which were NOT written by Ancyker]
  • A second server wipe (And Oh god, if Ancyker reads this he will kill me) due to him some how stuffing up "USR/BIN" on his 'Dedicated eAthena Box' for his company, Sereon. This resulted in several servers being wiped with the excuse of "The HDD's failed"
  • Break down in communication due to the original buyer being in hospital and out of work, hence the deal was called off

Also, as a side note to point number 2, all donations that went to Ancyker for BakaRO - were spent on creating his company, Sereon.

and most importantly the player ended up didn't pay all of the installations and was not asked to pay them anyway as far as i know.

Ancyker kept the money already paid for the server and just let the server die - then invited the person to go work with him over at Rebirth.

-Pow
Divided we stand, together we fall.
There isn't any god that can save us all
So don't pray on your knees, just beg on your hands
There is no belief in this promised land

Descent

Quote from: Creed on Jan 11, 2009, 10:10 PM

There's always going to be the "parrot" that repeats whatever somebody in power will say, and new guy, nobody likes that guy. Quiet.

It was probably at the OP.

I still don't understand how players can spend $3-5K(USD, mostly?) on a server...it just doesn't seem to add up.

Cielte

Quote from: Descent on Jan 11, 2009, 10:36 PM
Quote from: Creed on Jan 11, 2009, 10:10 PM

There's always going to be the "parrot" that repeats whatever somebody in power will say, and new guy, nobody likes that guy. Quiet.

It was probably at the OP.

I still don't understand how players can spend $3-5K(USD, mostly?) on a server...it just doesn't seem to add up.

You took my sentence!
ON the other hand, and on topic. I support what Descent just said, 100%.

And they normally don't spend that much. >< They normally back out or something happens and the deal goes splat.