Permadeath RO?

Started by waitwhat, Jun 18, 2015, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yozakura

Quote from: Playtester on Jun 29, 2015, 03:08 AM
The only concept with permadeath I've ever designed was an idea I call "ArcadeRO". You have central hub (e.g. prontera) from which you start and if you exit Prontera you will always be reset to 1/1. From then on you are only allowed to proceed from an easier to a harder region, but never go back (dead ends will get new portals to harder regions). Monsters are all aggressive and have increased view range so they hunt you even out of your visible range. The challenge is to survive and proceed to harder regions. You get points for monsters killed as well as proceeding to harder regions. When you die, you get moved back to prontera and your score will be recorded on a board.

That actually sounds interesting.

"On that day, the bees received a grim reminder. They lived in fear of the hornets and were disgraced to live in these cages they called hives."

» 新劇の雀蜂 «

Nova

Quote from: Playtester on Jun 29, 2015, 03:08 AM
The only concept with permadeath I've ever designed was an idea I call "ArcadeRO". You have central hub (e.g. prontera) from which you start and if you exit Prontera you will always be reset to 1/1. From then on you are only allowed to proceed from an easier to a harder region, but never go back (dead ends will get new portals to harder regions). Monsters are all aggressive and have increased view range so they hunt you even out of your visible range. The challenge is to survive and proceed to harder regions. You get points for monsters killed as well as proceeding to harder regions. When you die, you get moved back to prontera and your score will be recorded on a board.

Very interesting concept.

Quote from: eKoh on Jun 29, 2015, 01:40 AM
I think that this idea is cool, but, just for an event, not for the whole game. Like Bue said: it would be only a waste of time.

How is playing playing a perma death RO server more of a waste of time than playing on a normal RO server?
How is playing games in general not a waste of time?
How is sitting on a couch watching TV not a waste of time?
etc.

There you go.
I am not associated with NovaRO.

NovaRagnarok

The idea of adding hardcore characters to a server is kind of interesting. I feel like a fully hardcore server won't ever be too populated as people who die would be too willing to quit, but what about a mixture of both? Everyone plays on the same server, but on a per-character basis, you can enable the hardcore toggle (After going through 5 warnings telling you you'll never be able to go back to normal mode), increasing EXP/Drops or even potentially getting more stats, at the cost of losing all of your character if you die (Inventory and equipment included). Maybe even turning on PK for said characters in areas outside of towns.

Though I'm almost tempted to implement such a system on my own server, I can't begin to imagine the amount of players PMing me about how they accidentally turned the mode on and now can't disable it.

mleo1

Quote from: Nova on Jun 23, 2015, 07:20 AM
Perma Death with a 10 minute timer for ressurrection. I like this, death state? if you are not resurrected in 10mins youll be deleted?

How about save items into stash if you die? like in PoE
WoE will be awesome, full of rage and hate, with some tweaks, plus the resu rule

PROS
+ to maso guys and gals
cheap antibot system (humor)
more connection, youll level up always with back up
distrust if you see another player haha

CONS
low player base
players might rage quit
low - no donation

Quote from: NovaRagnarok on Jul 01, 2015, 04:02 PM
The idea of adding hardcore characters to a server is kind of interesting. I feel like a fully hardcore server won't ever be too populated as people who die would be too willing to quit, but what about a mixture of both? Everyone plays on the same server, but on a per-character basis, you can enable the hardcore toggle (After going through 5 warnings telling you you'll never be able to go back to normal mode), increasing EXP/Drops or even potentially getting more stats, at the cost of losing all of your character if you die (Inventory and equipment included). Maybe even turning on PK for said characters in areas outside of towns.

Though I'm almost tempted to implement such a system on my own server, I can't begin to imagine the amount of players PMing me about how they accidentally turned the mode on and now can't disable it.

How about make a new server "HARDCORE" with bonus drop and exp, etc, if you die there move the items and char to the NORMAL server.

Yozakura

If getting legions of players wasn't a problem, it would even be hilarious to give people permabans for dying.

"On that day, the bees received a grim reminder. They lived in fear of the hornets and were disgraced to live in these cages they called hives."

» 新劇の雀蜂 «

waitwhat

I personally think it would be awesome to both see and play when implemented along with traditional mechanics. Like, it will be an NPC that resets you to lvl1 novice with permanent +exp/drop buff and a script that wipes your exp/loot if you die.

Also, making loot on HC-mode character-bound is crucial, otherwise your server is screwed :P i'd also recommend to give them autoloot so side characters couldn't loot those high-rate dropped items

annaquin

The problem is the content beside been permanently dead ?

What if players are bored after 5 mn and still want to discover game content , and suddenly die in a dungeon because of a spawned mini Boss. Because technically , hunting deviling as a low level lead to death in a no man's land. Also what about dying in endless tower ?

Is the server going to be PK ? what about farm killer ?

Hercules and Rathena evolved to a point where adding news classes and new skills is so easy, yet except for VanRO and Ragna Tale RO , I don't see a single admin creating new classes nor new skills.. aka not increasing the game content at all.

Marginal changes from original kRO isn't sex appealing at all.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

annaquin

You don't make any sense , the reason people are playing Ragnarok is unknown, however it is due to game content and versatility.

Having unbalanced skill on MMORPG isn't even a problem, except for the selfish idiot trying to solve all problems alone and eventually trying to 1 hit kill every single others player. That's the worst way to play a MMORPG, playing alone and blaming the balance of skills ...

You can't enter in PVP arena without backups, you are alone then you die alone.
You can't deal with oblivion curse , or slow+cast + leech end, just QQ in your corner.

All in all, you need to make a team, so unbalanced skill isn't even relevant, 1 striker, 1 assist, 1 healer, 1 buffer, 1 orga , etc...

And the more combination is available the better, otherwise games like Magic Assembly, Pokemon, Maple, Final Fantasy Tactis wouldn't be the most played game on the planet.

Minabe

Doing Tripper's job.

annaquin

The problem is not balance, it's the 1HITKO area that destroyed the whole game.

The reason behind is to make the Kafra shop working at max rendment.

Private server however should have walk away from Kafra shop and the 1HITKO area . You will notive that most server that sustain long range with large population banned somehow the 1HITKO game.

But still, class should have at least 30 methods to reach a certain of DPS or BUFF.