Is there any server out there managed with passion and not for profit?

Started by Suspension, Sep 15, 2016, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyan Hijirikawa

Just throwing this in, my project has been underway for quite some time now and we've added features that are not seen on any other servers out there, which is what I and my team are proud of, of course this is also because of the awesome team i've managed to assemble

more info here

I believe someone said on a previous post, im not sure if its this one or the other one but these two threads are almost identical to be honest, that my project only involves adding some songs into RO and that's it, well, now I beg to differ. You shot us down even before you gave us a chance, well now, you can see that we are actually making progress.

We've received donations from players, staff and contributors just to further the project, and yes, all donations have been made to the betterment of the project, new systems are being developed, new npcs, features are also being added. What more, the anime-inspired theme is coming to life because of our latest additions of npcs such as Cyan Hijirikawa and Gray Fullbuster and more are coming!

Take note that the players who donated didn't really receive anything aside from their requested NPCs being made. So basically, donations are 100% spent on new npcs, new systems and whatnot. Now, you'll ask later on what will players get if they donated on the official release, well, they can get costumes and some consumables and that's it. They can also request for an NPC they would like to be made, a map perhaps for their guild and whatnot.

We are not divulging all our features here to keep it safe, if you want to know more, joining our Discord is the best way to know what we have in plan and what we have to offer. WE ARE NOT RECRUITING PLAYERS, we are only pointing out our difference in terms of how we handle donations, our dedication as well as hard work to get here.

If you want to play the conventional RO, we are not your project  /gg

Blinzer

Quote from: Cyan Hijirikawa on Nov 14, 2016, 02:14 PM
Just throwing this in, my project has been underway for quite some time now and we've added features that are not seen on any other servers out there, which is what I and my team are proud of, of course this is also because of the awesome team i've managed to assemble

more info here

I believe someone said on a previous post, im not sure if its this one or the other one but these two threads are almost identical to be honest, that my project only involves adding some songs into RO and that's it, well, now I beg to differ. You shot us down even before you gave us a chance, well now, you can see that we are actually making progress.

We've received donations from players, staff and contributors just to further the project, and yes, all donations have been made to the betterment of the project, new systems are being developed, new npcs, features are also being added. What more, the anime-inspired theme is coming to life because of our latest additions of npcs such as Cyan Hijirikawa and Gray Fullbuster and more are coming!

Take note that the players who donated didn't really receive anything aside from their requested NPCs being made. So basically, donations are 100% spent on new npcs, new systems and whatnot. Now, you'll ask later on what will players get if they donated on the official release, well, they can get costumes and some consumables and that's it. They can also request for an NPC they would like to be made, a map perhaps for their guild and whatnot.

We are not divulging all our features here to keep it safe, if you want to know more, joining our Discord is the best way to know what we have in plan and what we have to offer. WE ARE NOT RECRUITING PLAYERS, we are only pointing out our difference in terms of how we handle donations, our dedication as well as hard work to get here.

If you want to play the conventional RO, we are not your project  /gg

A bit of a wasted opportunity by not implementing trans class, don't you think? You shouldn't fear that people don't want them. It's not true, not to mention a very simple change to fix.

Cyan Hijirikawa

Quote from: Blinzer on Nov 14, 2016, 02:20 PM
A bit of a wasted opportunity by not implementing trans class, don't you think? You shouldn't fear that people don't want them. It's not true, not to mention a very simple change to fix.

Not quite, we do have a lot of plans for this project, and for sure, we will not be limiting ourselves to that. But so far, we are focusing on PvE content for now, some PvP aspects has also been integrated, but mainly its PvE. As for the exclusion of Trans, we find it that classic offers the best balance between all classes, later on in the project, we might be revealing our tweaks and changes to the Trans classes, but that is for a later date, we are committed on balancing out our first few releases.

Blinzer

Quote from: Cyan Hijirikawa on Nov 14, 2016, 02:28 PM
Not quite, we do have a lot of plans for this project, and for sure, we will not be limiting ourselves to that. But so far, we are focusing on PvE content for now, some PvP aspects has also been integrated, but mainly its PvE. As for the exclusion of Trans, we find it that classic offers the best balance between all classes, later on in the project, we might be revealing our tweaks and changes to the Trans classes, but that is for a later date, we are committed on balancing out our first few releases.

You do not really think that trans classes offers the highest potential for balance and gameplay. I'm not sure why you felt the need to lie to me, but you should not fall back onto the past because you are afraid of the future.

Akasuna

Quote from: Voryry on Nov 14, 2016, 07:31 AM
I second that. No donation, very stable, good community, responsive GM team. The master account/master Kafra system is also very convenient.
I have just returned there, player count has increased, WoE reopened, and the market is working.

This one is definitely managed with passion.

Do you know if OriginsRO plans to go renewal at some point in the future? It's a shame that server doesn't have a bigger population. It seems like a good place to go really.

Cyan Hijirikawa

Quote from: Blinzer on Nov 14, 2016, 04:50 PM
You do not really think that trans classes offers the highest potential for balance and gameplay. I'm not sure why you felt the need to lie to me, but you should not fall back onto the past because you are afraid of the future.

I'm sorry, but I have not said any lies in my previous posts. I do not feel that I have lied to you in any regard, if you think that we will not tweak trans, it is too early to say that we will not or too early to say that we won't. What we want to do is take this as slowly as we can, RO itself is already a great game, and we are taking great care to keep that intact when we do this fully customized project. If in any way I have offended you, it was not my intention and I do apologize for it. We do not want to make the same mistakes of what other developers have done so over the past, over committing and choking on their own work.

Voryry

Quote from: Akasuna on Nov 14, 2016, 07:25 PM
Do you know if OriginsRO plans to go renewal at some point in the future? It's a shame that server doesn't have a bigger population. It seems like a good place to go really.

I have no idea, even if yes, it is going to be in far future.

HollyDolly

Quote from: Voryry on Nov 15, 2016, 05:31 AM

They've just released TK classes before rebirth...yet claim to be going with ''official RO'' style classic episode releases. Admin's and players have been hinting at rebirth happening soon, the episode they are on means it comes on their next update. Already with the TK class there it deviates from classic RO. There are quite a few other odd little features here and there, but overall I'd say it's an OK server if you like low rates and a ''classic style'' server. Population is very small and clique-y though, too much drama and toxicity in main chats between players over petty things. I realize this isn't the server's fault, but it is why I ultimately just left in search of a better low rate. I got tired of seeing the few active players on, constantly belittle and troll one another. I don't know really how many active players, but a lot of vendor's in various towns...Not just prontera. Also take into account multi-clienting. Most will say, active community is like 20-30 players.

Akasuna

Quote from: Voryry on Nov 15, 2016, 05:31 AM

Yeah for sure, but I'm still curious whether they're actually going to do it or not.

Quote from: HollyDolly on Nov 15, 2016, 02:57 PM
They've just released TK classes before rebirth...yet claim to be going with ''official RO'' style classic episode releases. Admin's and players have been hinting at rebirth happening soon, the episode they are on means it comes on their next update. Already with the TK class there it deviates from classic RO. There are quite a few other odd little features here and there, but overall I'd say it's an OK server if you like low rates and a ''classic style'' server. Population is very small and clique-y though, too much drama and toxicity in main chats between players over petty things. I realize this isn't the server's fault, but it is why I ultimately just left in search of a better low rate. I got tired of seeing the few active players on, constantly belittle and troll one another. I don't know really how many active players, but a lot of vendor's in various towns...Not just prontera. Also take into account multi-clienting. Most will say, active community is like 20-30 players.

...Yeah, good luck with.
No, seriously if you can find a better low rate than Origins-RO let us know because while it does lack population it seems better than just about everything else out there.

HollyDolly

Quote from: Akasuna on Nov 15, 2016, 09:00 PM
Yeah for sure, but I'm still curious whether they're actually going to do it or not.

...Yeah, good luck with.
No, seriously if you can find a better low rate than Origins-RO let us know because while it does lack population it seems better than just about everything else out there.

There are plenty of very good low rates out there if you just search for them, and personally after trying nearly all of them I am going to say that right now, Ragnarok Reborn is my favourite. It's been open for only 2 months and is already getting great reviews across the board. I am entitled to my opinion, as you are yours but let's not resort to a petty debate over ''which low rate is best''. That is subjective depending on what features a player is looking for. I already said it was good for those looking for a ''classic style'' server and isn't a bad server overall so calm down. I am sharing my personal experience with OriginsRO and what I found was there is bad attitudes prevalent among OriginsRO players and is exactly why people don't stick around. Too much elitism. Every time I'd log in, it was people fighting over some petty crap in main chats, or talking about how much they all hate rebirth and renewal lol. Drama over WOE nearly killed the server, and drama is what is keeping it from gaining more players that want to stay and become a part of the community.

Akasuna

Quote from: HollyDolly on Nov 16, 2016, 08:38 AM
There are plenty of very good low rates out there if you just search for them, and personally after trying nearly all of them I am going to say that right now, Ragnarok Reborn is my favourite. It's been open for only 2 months and is already getting great reviews across the board. I am entitled to my opinion, as you are yours but let's not resort to a petty debate over ''which low rate is best''. That is subjective depending on what features a player is looking for. I already said it was good for those looking for a ''classic style'' server and isn't a bad server overall so calm down. I am sharing my personal experience with OriginsRO and what I found was there is bad attitudes prevalent among OriginsRO players and is exactly why people don't stick around. Too much elitism. Every time I'd log in, it was people fighting over some petty crap in main chats, or talking about how much they all hate rebirth and renewal lol. Drama over WOE nearly killed the server, and drama is what is keeping it from gaining more players that want to stay and become a part of the community.

I've searched for them and their time is limited, they lack population, or they're some super customized servers. I've got nothing against Ragnarok Reborn, but what makes OriginsRO better than a lot of these other servers is that it has been around for ages so you can level there, take a break, come back and your stuff is still there. I can't say whether or not Ragnarok Reborn will be the same since like you said it is a new server. I'm not trying to turn this into a petty debate. I'm just trying to exchange information to see if there's something out there that I'm missing. I don't even play on OriginsRO. Are you saying the drama on OriginsRO is worst than on other servers? If you don't want to be part of the community because of the drama that's fine, but I really doubt you're going to find a server that has no drama.

HollyDolly

Quote from: Akasuna on Nov 16, 2016, 05:45 PM
I've searched for them and their time is limited, they lack population, or they're some super customized servers. I've got nothing against Ragnarok Reborn, but what makes OriginsRO better than a lot of these other servers is that it has been around for ages so you can level there, take a break, come back and your stuff is still there. I can't say whether or not Ragnarok Reborn will be the same since like you said it is a new server. I'm not trying to turn this into a petty debate. I'm just trying to exchange information to see if there's something out there that I'm missing. I don't even play on OriginsRO. Are you saying the drama on OriginsRO is worst than on other servers? If you don't want to be part of the community because of the drama that's fine, but I really doubt you're going to find a server that has no drama.

I understand, and apologize if I came off as snappy or insinuative. I've been playing RO for around 10 years now ( first started back in 2006) and have seen a lot of server's come and go. I took a long break though, and now spent some time playing various low rates looking for the right one. Yes, Reborn is a new server but all server's have to start somewhere. I do wonder however, if since you are not a member of OriginsRO how do you know it is better than all these other servers? It seems to me more of a preference issue. HeRO has also been around for years, but as you say it is one with many customizations. Some people like that, some don't. If new server's aren't given a chance, there will be none left on RMS except for the few that last somehow ( even if they aren't that great ) which cuts variety for people. Plus this game is now old and not as popular as it was a few years ago.

Yeah, there will be drama anywhere there is people that is true, however some server's suffer from it more than others, and I have seen server's die because of it. I will honestly say that OriginsRO does have some very questionable players, and more drama than the average server I've played on including server's of recent. It's not a bad server, quite a good server for that classic feel actually, which was entirely a new experience for me that I did enjoy while being there. It's just the player's that ruin it. I can't specifically name any particular incident's, it's just too much drama in general really. Some people can handle it but I feel once the community get's to be like that it's hard to snap out. Once in a while, drama happens. But everyday? and on a low populated server? Nah. I also really dislike people who put themselves on a pedastool. By this I mean, there is a snobby clique-y elitism attitude that prevails on OriginsRO sadly. Where some people generalize, act intolerant and s*** talk anything that isn't classic RO. While I get it, some people have preference, some of us enjoy ALL of what RO has to offer and don't like to sit there and read that crap while trying to enjoy the game.

Akasuna

Quote from: HollyDolly on Nov 16, 2016, 08:25 PM
I understand, and apologize if I came off as snappy or insinuative. I've been playing RO for around 10 years now ( first started back in 2006) and have seen a lot of server's come and go. I took a long break though, and now spent some time playing various low rates looking for the right one. Yes, Reborn is a new server but all server's have to start somewhere. I do wonder however, if since you are not a member of OriginsRO how do you know it is better than all these other servers? It seems to me more of a preference issue. HeRO has also been around for years, but as you say it is one with many customizations. Some people like that, some don't. If new server's aren't given a chance, there will be none left on RMS except for the few that last somehow ( even if they aren't that great ) which cuts variety for people. Plus this game is now old and not as popular as it was a few years ago.

Yeah, there will be drama anywhere there is people that is true, however some server's suffer from it more than others, and I have seen server's die because of it. I will honestly say that OriginsRO does have some very questionable players, and more drama than the average server I've played on including server's of recent. It's not a bad server, quite a good server for that classic feel actually, which was entirely a new experience for me that I did enjoy while being there. It's just the player's that ruin it. I can't specifically name any particular incident's, it's just too much drama in general really. Some people can handle it but I feel once the community get's to be like that it's hard to snap out. Once in a while, drama happens. But everyday? and on a low populated server? Nah. I also really dislike people who put themselves on a pedastool. By this I mean, there is a snobby clique-y elitism attitude that prevails on OriginsRO sadly. Where some people generalize, act intolerant and s*** talk anything that isn't classic RO. While I get it, some people have preference, some of us enjoy ALL of what RO has to offer and don't like to sit there and read that crap while trying to enjoy the game.

It's okay. I could see how it could have been taken the wrong way so I can't blame you really, being sarcastic wasn't a good way for me to start that reply. Well maybe I'm giving it too much credit what I'm stating is based on what I've seen on streams and from what I've heard others say sure maybe I'm jumping to conclusions without seeing what the server is like for myself, but regardless it has that key element I mentioned previously the server has managed to stay up for years now. I know that doesn't make it a great server, but it's a quality that a lot of these low rates seem to lack lately. Not saying that Ragnarok Reborn will shut down like the others, in fact I hope it doesn't if the server is really as good as you and others claim it is then I hope for the sake of RO players that it grows. Yes, I know heRO has been around for ages too and I'm not sure what the deal is with heRO, but as far as I remember it's never been a huge server even back in the day when RO servers had larger populations heRO was always smaller. I'm not sure how bad the customs are on heRO as well, but I was thinking more along the lines of TalonRO when I said that because that one takes the cake with customs. Yeah, that is true, I'm not saying people shouldn't try new servers... I'm just tired of this cycle of servers being shut down and then having to start all over again and again. I know some players don't mind it and I didn't at first, but now it's rather annoying and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

What do you mean by questionable players? Yeah, I can see what you mean about the drama especially on a server with a small population like a lot of these low rates. I usually play on the bigger servers, so drama usually doesn't have a huge impact unless it involves a GM or Admin.

Slaw

Honestly HollyDolly's complaints about OriginsRO are pretty biased in the first place. Having lurked on Origins on and off for years now I can tell you right away that there is generally fairly little drama outside a few players who simply dislike each other, and it very rarely reaches #main chats or similar places. Lately Origins has seen somewhat of a resurge of older players coming back, and these old players have brought a fairly s*** attitude with them, most likely (I'm guessing) because they feel they are entitled to a strong voice on the server since they were influential before. Unfortunately this reached #main a few times, but every time it's basically one guy insulting the 5-10 other people telling him he's wrong about something.

I won't give any specific examples because this is about servers and not individuals, but HollyDolly her/himself has spent a lot of time "trolling" in #main, and generally bringing a very negative attitude to it. While some players are clearly against rebirth/renewal/later content this so-called elitism is something a smaller group of newer players have made up out of thin air. Like I said I've been around for a while, and have been part of most of the bigger groups at this point. The only "elitism" that exists is WoE guilds catering to WoE players and expecting proper WoE characters out of their recruits.

I personally think OriginsRO is the best low rate server out there that's still up and running. Great features, very Mac-friendly, incredibly stable and with a long-standing community that, even though it has been close to dead sometimes, comes back time and time again. That being said the server does have some problems. Staff members are way too lenient with social rule breakers, such as flamers, trolls and overall negative attitudes, and would rather do nothing than confront them, which in turn leads to most other issues, such as tensions going high sometimes because of WoE, or random trolls in #main thinking it's okay to do what they do even though they are driving players away doing so. But honestly, I have tried many many servers over the years and OriginsRO is easily top 3 out of my all-time faves.

Yuzo

A successful server would be run like a successful business.

Where admins would treat player-gm interaction like a customer service query.
And instead of basing decision around what will be profitable in terms of money, should be profitable in terms of server morale.

A server like that would surely be a great one.