Is there any server out there managed with passion and not for profit?

Started by Suspension, Sep 15, 2016, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

Considering the fact that Elaria is one of the only servers atm that has ONLY aesthetic donations, the answer is pretty clear. They literally have nothing on the donation list that you can benefit from apart from paying a premium for extra hair styles, cloth colours, etc.
2k21 Return

ElariaRO

Yeah I guess any server that doesn't have "advantage items" in the cash shop and has an active staff that brings frequent updates could be what you are looking for.
I used to have a server with those items in the cash shop, but I realized that you don't have to put them in there.
Elaria Woon Reloaded just put the items that are "usually" in the cash shop into BG and normal Quests/Events/Missions.

Mrew2

There are plenty of reasons why being passionate about your server can backfire. Admins that are passionate create the server in the image they feel their "ideal" server would be. The more passionate, the more rigid you become. It comes down to compromising your ideas or not having any players at all. Very rarely does a server get to do everything their own way while also maintaining high population. If you don't have a high enough population, you just lose money to keep your server. It's all for, let's be honest, a bunch of ungrateful players, myself included, that will leave when it suits them. The community is pretty spoiled. I've always thought the only good admins left are masochistic.

Running a server now a days is no where near as fun or rewarding as it used to be, that's why you just have vultures now that just try for nostalgia to make a quick buck with half assed servers. It's sad.

Cressy

I don't really understand the idea that the two things are mutually exclusive, if I opened a cake shop because I love baking should I give everything away and refuse to accept money?
I get that there are definitely servers out there that exist purely because someone thinks they can make easy money, but I'm sure there are also servers were the admins have a passion for creating a great server and community, but would also like to profit from their efforts and passion. Perhaps it's just because I myself quite like not being poor, but I don't think profits being involved immediately removes any love or passion from the project.

And yes, I think you can have items other than costumes etc in your cash shop, WITHOUT immediately becoming some kind of money hungry Donald Trump clone, just make sure they're accessible for even those who can't donate so that everyone can catch up in the end.

Suspension

Quote from: Cressy on Oct 12, 2016, 06:49 PM
I don't really understand the idea that the two things are mutually exclusive
It's quite clear that I didn't mean that. When I say "for profit" means exclusively for profit and not because you love what you are doing even if you don't earn anything.

Quote from: Mrew2 on Oct 12, 2016, 05:00 PM
There are plenty of reasons why being passionate about your server can backfire. Admins that are passionate create the server in the image they feel their "ideal" server would be. The more passionate, the more rigid you become.

True, but on the other hand the community is that way too, that's why people quit servers and join others quickly. Anyway, a wise admin has to look for balance.
Quote from: exii on Jun 27, 2015, 06:07 AM
If you think casting quag is a good idea you or your guild heavily failed to create a viable guild rost.

Bottles

Elaria/Woons donations are aesthetic yes, however they have no issues about allowing better warp locations for donation. (you mean a donation that gives an advantage that ISN'T a hat? Sooo intuitive..) It's all obtainable in game via zeny but that is what every server essentially does. Obviously there are variations in different servers, I'm sure it's what lead to this person to make this topic to begin with.

Just because donations aren't hats doesn't mean they don't provide an advantage.

MrWhatever

OriginsRO has no donations or cash shop items and the GMs are really nice and helpful as far as I've seen and they are working on having GM events.Although it does cost money to host a server so I understand them having a donation option but not when they are selling MvP cards or gear that gives a huge edge over all the other gear you can find in game like Kaho horns with +20 into a few stats and some other stuff.

Charity Case

imo originsro is a highly underated server.Its proper in the sense that its stable(3+ years now with 100+ people usually,some servers out there *cough talonro jade out the lines of true population.Its also really hard to believe Boreas is a caring guy towards his player base,got some hands on experience myself to back up my words on that BUUT thats a topic for a diffrent day mr troll Sachimi,also literally no means of pay 2win,and the people you meet there are quite nice

ElariaRO

Quote from: Bottles on Oct 14, 2016, 07:59 PM
Elaria/Woons donations are aesthetic yes, however they have no issues about allowing better warp locations for donation. (you mean a donation that gives an advantage that ISN'T a hat? Sooo intuitive..) It's all obtainable in game via zeny but that is what every server essentially does. Obviously there are variations in different servers, I'm sure it's what lead to this person to make this topic to begin with.

Just because donations aren't hats doesn't mean they don't provide an advantage.

Just to make it clear, because I feel that it's rather confusing : Elaria Woon Reloaded does *NOT* offer "better warp locations for donation" that is not true. You can get "VIP" which is an ONLY ZENY BASED membership that grants you more access to field/dungeon warps (still no mvp or adjacted mvp maps included).
Thanks~

Bottles

Quote from: ElariaRO on Oct 16, 2016, 11:55 PM
Just to make it clear, because I feel that it's rather confusing : Elaria Woon Reloaded does *NOT* offer "better warp locations for donation" that is not true. You can get "VIP" which is an ONLY ZENY BASED membership that grants you more access to field/dungeon warps (still no mvp or adjacted mvp maps included).
Thanks~
If you can only warp to level one of payon dungeon without the VIP and be able to warp to level 4 with the VIP, I'd consider that an advantage. Also, that is nothing different than what I had already mentioned via zeny grinding for the membership as well.
Quote from: Bottles on Oct 14, 2016, 07:59 PM

Kris

Quote from: Bottles on Oct 18, 2016, 10:02 AM
If you can only warp to level one of payon dungeon without the VIP and be able to warp to level 4 with the VIP, I'd consider that an advantage. Also, that is nothing different than what I had already mentioned via zeny grinding for the membership as well.

You lack the ability to understand simple English fam. Access to upper levels of dungeons are unlocked via the VIP system which you can get via zeny. You can't donate on Elaria to get zeny, you need to level up and then go farming to get zeny.
2k21 Return

zelivia

Believe it or not, there are server out there that are made with passion..

Blinzer

Quote from: zelivia on Nov 12, 2016, 09:49 AM
Believe it or not, there are server out there that are made with passion..

You are absolutely correct, zelivia. The server I have created is indeed created purely out of my dream to want to see the world become a better place. My one desire to see the game return to life in its full glory and stop all the senseless corruption and injustice I've seen was my driving force. I know that deep in the hearts of every person is hope for the future and a quest to find something greater. For that reason, I was willing to work in solitude for years just to bring this dream to life. I stopped trying to fight my own heart a long time ago, I do not let fear control me. That is the true spirit of having passion for what you do.

I am no longer afraid to say things for what they really are, and all of you share and are a part of my dream, too. If you search your hearts, you will know it to be true. We will turn this game into something amazing, together.

Akasuna

That's probably why all those non-profit servers from back in the day are shut down or have like no population while the ones that do profit are the few that are still standing strong. Not saying that I agree or disagree with profit servers just simply stating what I see.

Quote from: apochi on Sep 16, 2016, 09:23 AM
The only truly passionate server I know: http://originsro.org/

There are no donations for items, only real donations... best server ever, they have even been up for 3+ years.

I've heard nothing but good things about Origins RO... I considered playing on there, but I'm not a fan of no resets and I think they eventually plan to become a renewal server? I'm not sure on that part though.

Voryry

Quote from: apochi on Sep 16, 2016, 09:23 AM
The only truly passionate server I know: http://originsro.org/

There are no donations for items, only real donations... best server ever, they have even been up for 3+ years.

I second that. No donation, very stable, good community, responsive GM team. The master account/master Kafra system is also very convenient.
I have just returned there, player count has increased, WoE reopened, and the market is working.

This one is definitely managed with passion.