Insulting Servers You Play On

Started by Guest, Oct 19, 2008, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Descent

Quote from: laoganma on Oct 31, 2008, 05:22 PM

like i said before just ban accounts thats related to WPE, unless you allow WPE for a certain "special" people then i have nothing more to say.

for other issues, if he say bad things (false claims) in server forum, just ban and state the reason unless of course saying bad things about your server is not breaking any forum rules then i have nothing more to say.

if he make up stuff to ruin your server reputation in other forum, speak up, provide some proof, write a good argument to counter all of his false claims. key word is "HONESTY"

@few posts above

please stop trolling and even worse, supporting troll with another troll.

@Offtopic note: Skotlex is not a troll. He's far from it.

On topic: He's actually right with this post. Somewhat.

Never mind, sorry, delete this post if you want.

Irrelevant

Quote from: laoganma on Oct 31, 2008, 05:22 PM
Quote from: Irrelevant on Oct 31, 2008, 03:34 PM
In which case, using your logic of "ban first, ask questions later", you'd get nowhere since it is the same person just using alt accounts. No IP bans ever issued means he just makes a new account and WPEs all over again. Not to mention that your "solution" doesn't cover the other issues JJJ mentioned and I quote...

like i said before just ban accounts thats related to WPE, unless you allow WPE for a certain "special" people then i have nothing more to say.

for other issues, if he say bad things (false claims) in server forum, just ban and state the reason unless of course saying bad things about your server is not breaking any forum rules then i have nothing more to say.

if he make up stuff to ruin your server reputation in other forum, speak up, provide some proof, write a good argument to counter all of his false claims. key word is "HONESTY"

@few posts above

please stop trolling and even worse, supporting troll with another troll.

Related to WPE? Care to elaborate further? Are you saying that if a player said "I'm related to WPE" he should get banned? Or is it that every account under the IP of a WPEr should be banned? I honestly can't tell.

False claims can be rebutted without issuing a ban and, in my opinion, it is much better for the server and staff's image to prove a claim to be false prior to issuing any ban or punishment for that matter. Players would not like the view of someone making a claim -false or not- and getting instantly banned for it. After all, administrators provide that freedom of speech on their forums and it's just plain wrong to take them away whenever players complain, falsely or not.

The same applies for other forums, like here on RMS. You can just prove false claims to be false, provided that you have proper proof and, hey, you didn't need a ban to do that.

All I am saying is that dealing with troublemakers is much more complicated than endlessly swinging a ban hammer. At least, it is if you don't like to do a half-assed work as a GM.

Hutchy

@above post: thank you, this's what I've been getting at.

laoganma

Quote from: Irrelevant on Oct 31, 2008, 05:55 PM
Related to WPE? Care to elaborate further? Are you saying that if a player said "I'm related to WPE" he should get banned? Or is it that every account under the IP of a WPEr should be banned? I honestly can't tell.

again, i never said anything about banning IP, just ban any account thats cought using WPE.

False claims can be rebutted without issuing a ban and, in my opinion, it is much better for the server and staff's image to prove a claim to be false prior to issuing any ban or punishment for that matter. Players would not like the view of someone making a claim -false or not- and getting instantly banned for it. After all, administrators provide that freedom of speech on their forums and it's just plain wrong to take them away whenever players complain, falsely or not.

request for proofs on false claims, ban for repeated false claims w/o proof, common sense.

The same applies for other forums, like here on RMS. You can just prove false claims to be false, provided that you have proper proof and, hey, you didn't need a ban to do that.

exactly what i said...

@people that has nothing on topic to say, please stop trolling (to raise your post counts?)
Quote from: LaoganmaLover
Lao, you are so cool!!! i beg you, please take all my zennies!!

Lao!! i wish i could give you +1 every second!! *cries*

omg Lao, your posts are awesome, ignore those internet bullies.

why does no one EVER listen to me when i tell them, making an account takes less then half a minute, IP ban's don't work if you use a proxy sever, email bans don't work because it takes 3 seconds to sign up and use a new email

Loki

Quote from: laoganma on Oct 31, 2008, 06:59 PM

again, i never said anything about banning IP, just ban any account thats cought using WPE.

request for proofs on false claims, ban for repeated false claims w/o proof, common sense.

exactly what i said...

@people that has nothing on topic to say, please stop trolling (to raise your post counts?)

What does banning have to do with the thread? Hypocrite-much?

@topic.

I think I have nothing more to say since I've already stated my opinion on why people insult servers they play on. I will quote myself:

Quote from: Loki on Oct 28, 2008, 09:46 AM
Its called Evolution.

They evolved from getting pissed because they got ban for breaking the rules to brainless freaks that wants to bring the server down. Although unsuccessfully.

And they would still play the server to recruit more players like them and learn more about the server and get inside news to fuel up any dramas.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

laoganma

Quote from: Loki on Oct 31, 2008, 08:09 PM

1st post is talking about a rulebreaker.

stop asking, start reading... -much?

I think I have nothing more to say since I've already stated my opinion on why people insult servers they play on. I will quote myself:

way to go with the trolling

Loki

Quote from: laoganma on Oct 31, 2008, 10:54 PM

Let me quote the first post for you to read again. Why oh why do I waste my time doing this.

Quote from: JJJ on Oct 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
Okay, so why is it that on just about every server you go to you have these seemingly hatred fueled people that just want to kill the image of the server and watch it crash and burn. But, these players still play on that server and they participate in events, in war of emperium,  and etc. So why is it that these players play on the server, yet do just about everything in their power to kill it? So I just fail to understand that, you play there, you have gears there, you have money there, you have friends there, you have characters there, yet you want to kill it?

So just in case you guys  don't understand what I mean here's an example:

A player is on a server, he has a level 97 Whitesmith, and over 15 million zeny to his name, he is fully geared for war of emperium, and has more pots then he'll ever need. Then he repeatedly goes to other places, like the server's forums, and RMS, and creates posts that are meant to be nothing more then harmful, he also goes on alt characters to do things like spam in Prontera, and WPE drop arrows and other annoying acts, he also tells new players to leave, in a not so kind manner and he insults just about everyone. But here's the thing, he still plays there everyday, with his friends and his guild, yet everyday he does everything in his power to hurt the server.

So can someone explain why some people feel the need to do this?

Oh, and the "He's trying to change the server" excuse doesn't work, because he's willing to state that he just wants the place to die

I don't see 3J posting "So can someone explain how to ban this nut-job?"

laoganma

Quote from: Loki on Oct 31, 2008, 11:04 PM
I don't see 3J posting "So can someone explain how to ban this nut-job?"

doesnt say anything about "do not talk about banning this nut-job" either.

Loki

Its still off-topic. Oh for god sakes why do I even bother. COMMON SENSE!

Quotespeechless i see, reversing what i posted all you got left.

Wut?

Irrelevant

Again, as long as you don't issue an IP ban, whoever is doing it can just make a new account and do it again. Since we already established that in this hypothetical situation that the culprit is using an alt account, then he isn't losing anything by getting random alts banned.

Then again, you didn't state that you would ban on first, second or third instance of breaking a rule, let alone that you didn't state that the culprit was, hypothetically, repeatedly making false claims about the server.

Quote from: JJJ on Oct 31, 2008, 07:12 PM
why does no one EVER listen to me when i tell them, making an account takes less then half a minute, IP ban's don't work if you use a proxy sever, email bans don't work because it takes 3 seconds to sign up and use a new email

In which case, all you can do is ban whenever you identify the culprit. With time they get bored of making accounts.

If the posts followed a logic order into the current discussion, I see nothing wrong with it continuing.

Skotlex

Quote from: Irrelevant on Nov 01, 2008, 12:59 AM

In which case, all you can do is ban whenever you identify the culprit. With time they get bored of making accounts.
I've played this game, it has no end, and the more you ban, the more they love playing their game (and the more casualties that your other players are likely to suffer). It is actually no different than feeding trolls.

This topic has pretty much finished its utility anyway, by now we all know that players don't need a reason beyond being immature  and bored, to spend countless hours into attempting to ruin a server, not even because they want to ruin it, but because it's entertaining them with something to do. Welcome to the Intrawebz.

(RMS reviews)

Irrelevant

Quote from: Skotlex on Nov 01, 2008, 07:54 AM
Quote from: Irrelevant on Nov 01, 2008, 12:59 AM

I've played this game, it has no end, and the more you ban, the more they love playing their game (and the more casualties that your other players are likely to suffer). It is actually no different than feeding trolls.

This topic has pretty much finished its utility anyway, by now we all know that players don't need a reason beyond being immature  and bored, to spend countless hours into attempting to ruin a server, not even because they want to ruin it, but because it's entertaining them with something to do. Welcome to the Intrawebz.

Amen.

Though I've seen the contrary happen with constantly banning troublemakers, eventually they grow bored of the monotony.

Descent

Quote from: laoganma on Oct 31, 2008, 10:54 PM

Lao.

YOU ARE NOT A MODERATOR, SO YOU CAN STOP WITH THE BACKSEAT MODERATING NOW. I THINK JJJ, POW, YC, AND RIOTBLADE ARE FULLY CAPABLE OF DOING THEIR JOBS. THANK YOU.

laoganma, every time you say "don't troll", "don't flame", that's trolling in it self, because in saying so your accusing the person of being a flamer and, or a troller. Descent, you could have done without the caps lock there.