Insulting Servers You Play On

Started by Guest, Oct 19, 2008, 02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shad

Quote from: Edward on Oct 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
People do it because they have nothing better to do.
Exactly.

Poki

Killing the server is the next step after server domination (level 99, fully geared, WoE god, pvp freak).
In other words, they are bored once they have either accomplished their goals, or failed them miserably and result in a last ditch effort.

Miya

It's the 8% undecided group that everyone's been talking about =O You get these people who come in, bust things up, gain powerful equips, adorn their eEgos, and tada.. "I'm too good for your server and you suck, but I'm still here because I'm bored" mentality kicks in! It's another one of those patterns of people you run into on RO. All anyone can do is either Ban them if they're being too harassing, or just let them run wild and cause attention to the server (good or bad). I think what the server should include in rules is something along the lines of "excessive negativity which leads to ruining the players enjoyment of the server."

There is a difference between "lol this server is so boring now." and "I'm going to go post negative reviews and tell every noob that joins that the GMs hack and shizz."

Brian

currently playing at raijero

laoganma

@1st post

he can get away with using WPE in town and creating "harmful" post in forum, and he even tell people about it, this server must be full of stupid GMs.

Quote from: LaoganmaLover
Lao, you are so cool!!! i beg you, please take all my zennies!!

Lao!! i wish i could give you +1 every second!! *cries*

omg Lao, your posts are awesome, ignore those internet bullies.

Loki

Its called Evolution.

They evolved from getting pissed because they got ban for breaking the rules to brainless freaks that wants to bring the server down. Although unsuccessfully.

And they would still play the server to recruit more players like them and learn more about the server and get inside news to fuel up any dramas.
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.

Hutchy

"Stupid GMs", what a nice assumption to make. >_>

Depending on the size of a server, it can be easy for a botter to slip through the cracks. That doesn't necessarily make the GMs stupid, it just makes them busy, or implies their attention is elsewhere. I've known some servers to have special GMs exclusively for bot-hunting, but generally it's a lot easier to manually track down bots if your server is small and you have a team of people who are paying attention to the damn server almost 24/7.

@Loki, YES. In my experience it's the players who already got in trouble a few times. They may want to be SUPER AWESOME COOL in front of everyone else (thus they keep pushing staffs' buttons and bending rules), they may want to take the server down out of bitterness. A lot of them find strength in numbers, and unfortunately a lot of players who act this way are manipulative/charismatic enough to form a mini army of douchebags.

Poki

Quote from: laoganma
Stupid GMs.

Whut?

Quote from: Hutchy on Oct 28, 2008, 10:29 AM

They may want to be SUPER AWESOME COOL in front of everyone else (thus they keep pushing staffs' buttons and bending rules)

They call that cool? They should see me when I kill porings or use first aid as a merchant and drop sticky mucus.  Now that is cool.

But what can I say, we got haters in the internet.

laoganma

Quote from: Hutchy on Oct 28, 2008, 10:29 AM
"Stupid GMs", what a nice assumption to make. >_>

thank you.

Quote from: Poki on Oct 28, 2008, 10:36 AM
Quote from: laoganma
Stupid GMs.

Whut?

sorry if its too hard to understand  8)

Stupid is an adjective meaning lacking in intelligence.

Hutchy

I know, but like I said before it doesn't make them stupid.

*copies and pastes from previous post*

QuoteDepending on the size of a server, it can be easy for a botter to slip through the cracks. That doesn't necessarily make the GMs stupid, it just makes them busy, or implies their attention is elsewhere. I've known some servers to have special GMs exclusively for bot-hunting, but generally it's a lot easier to manually track down bots if your server is small and you have a team of people who are paying attention to the damn server almost 24/7.

laoganma you don't seem to understand

its easy to ban someone, but its even easier to set up a proxy server for them to come back on, i mean banning someone like that would cause a lot more problems with him coming back on a different proxy then letting him be

Lore

Are you kidding me? You're trying to understand someone over the internet? What a fruitless quest. This is the web-there are no motives, no ambitions, no means or ends. There is no chance of piecing together intentions and goals. It is an anon world.

Why would you even bother thinking of what is running through another person's head online? Assume they're either all pedophiles or CIA agents.

laoganma

Quote from: JJJ on Oct 28, 2008, 06:46 PM

its easy to ban someone, but its even easier to set up a proxy server for them to come back on, i mean banning someone like that would cause a lot more problems with him coming back on a different proxy then letting him be

if its easy, just keep banning whenever you see him, if you let him be, in this case to the point where he doesnt really care of getting cought anymore, other players will think its ok to do those things in the server.

if you cant handle this one person as a GM or even worse, as server admin, you are just plain stupid, how players gonna trust you on keeping the server up?.

Quote from: Lore on Oct 29, 2008, 01:17 AM
Are you kidding me? You're trying to understand someone over the internet? What a fruitless quest. This is the web-there are no motives, no ambitions, no means or ends. There is no chance of piecing together intentions and goals. It is an anon world.

Why would you even bother thinking of what is running through another person's head online? Assume they're either all pedophiles or CIA agents.

Nicely said.

Skotlex

There was once this player in the forums who just loved testing our patience and the limits of our rules. He would look and post gigantic grotesque images all over the place, especially in the introduction threads.

Banning was no good, proxies are free for all.
The email requirement was no good, free email services exist all over the world.

A bunch of rules were applied afterwards, such as limiting the size of signatures and scaling down posted images. For the most part, the forum mods just erased his threads.

I remember the time I asked him what would he have against such a small server that has done nothing to him (in-game he had no punishments, as people could just choose to /ex him and they would hear no more of him). And his reply was a large image saying "I R BORED."

When you are against someone who has all the time in the world, and is bored, you are just not going to win. Just minimize damage and ignore him until he grows bored and goes away. He eventually got bored when he stopped being the talk of the forums :B I think he came online some months later, but not for long, and he broke no rules that time.

(RMS reviews)

Loki

Quote from: laoganma on Oct 29, 2008, 03:37 AM
Quote from: JJJ on Oct 28, 2008, 06:46 PM

if its easy, just keep banning whenever you see him, if you let him be, in this case to the point where he doesnt really care of getting cought anymore, other players will think its ok to do those things in the server.

if you cant handle this one person as a GM or even worse, as server admin, you are just plain stupid, how players gonna trust you on keeping the server up?.

How would you know if the player is the same person you banned if the player uses a proxy and created a new account? Guess-much? Oh, not to mention, played legit for a while and then cause havoc on the server?

Blargh...why do you keep side-tracking topics to GMs when its about players who sabotages their own server?
QuoteWhatever floats your boat.