GGRO's population?

Started by DroppedPJK, Feb 25, 2015, 06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DroppedPJK

The server just came out with trans classes finally. However, I feel the train has died a little and would love to hear what other people think about the populations number.

I mean the ONLY FEW REASONS I play on this server are
1. close to retail experience (classic too!)
2. the population

I would definitely just go look for something new if I knew that the population numbers were 70% autotrade merchants or that the server was going to go through a slow death.

The rates for GGRO are definitely whatever to me seeing as the last stretch of levels are pure cancer as a solo player.

TL:DR
I believe there are very few reasons to play GGRO aside from the two reasons I mentioned even though a lot of servers lack these two.

Anyways what do you guys think? Is time spent on this server better spent in a new environment?

Wyvern

There's no reason to play any other server because the population always ends the same. It starts off big (or not), then the hype dies down and people log less, there's also venders that appear, etc. A lot of times it's contributed by bad GM decisions and sucky WoEs, so guilds then leave, or people just get bored after having everything they need (currently the case for the limited content for ggRO, as one of the reasons). Trans is coming out today, so we'll see what happens, but all servers seems to end up the same as no one seems to be able to do a server right lol

iro_ori

The hype train did die and the GM's did make mistakes. But currently, i doubt there's a better server out there right now.

nile

Quote from: iro_ori on Feb 25, 2015, 05:33 PM
The hype train did die and the GM's did make mistakes. But currently, i doubt there's a better server out there right now.
Pretty much sums it up. Many people feel like quitting/have quit because they are mad at gms and they don't feel like wasting their time/money/effort. Some of the in-game rules are s*** and none of the gms have any idea of what they are doing except the f*** community gms. Stuff established on woe servers years ago which is important hadn't been addressed and now the time is up. They are terrible at phrasing things, have a gm known for corruption/hacking in the past. They have lost whole entire guilds. Screenies of "griefing" can get you banned since griefing is illegal (but ksing isn't - which presents a problem from the start since IT'S WORTH WAY TOO MUCH EFFORT IF YOUR GMS ARENT ACTIVE/GOOD ENOUGH). GMs usually don't appear when someone is griefing you or just say they are busy (every single request ive never had a response.). People don't get banned, and it's not that I give a f*** it's just GMs can't even enforce their own rules well enough which pisses us off.

Edit: Felt I was being a bit sensational. -this server will die in 2 months IMO

Zhin

Quote from: iro_ori on Feb 25, 2015, 05:33 PM

But... But there ARE better servers. With admins who actually, sincerely care about their server and put the time and effort into developing them. Just because a lot of people play a server doesn't mean it's good. A lot of people love Justin Beaver, too.

DroppedPJK

Quote from: Zhin on Feb 26, 2015, 07:35 AM
But... But there ARE better servers. With admins who actually, sincerely care about their server and put the time and effort into developing them. Just because a lot of people play a server doesn't mean it's good. A lot of people love Justin Beaver, too.

You absolutely have a point but even these guys can't bring in people.

I would never touch a low population server. I have no wish to play a solo game (the world of RO is too big to only have 200 people some of them being vendors on it). I have no wish to build up the community from the ground either, I don't go to play RO to do a server's job.

You might disagree that it's a server's job to bring in people and I really can't tell you your wrong. I just feel that most players don't come in groups and all they really want is something already developed. Hence why, I'm sitting here on GGRO contemplating the next step.

Playtester

Yeah, there are better servers, just not better servers with a population this high.

There are some really good and caring admins who never get more than 20 players on their server. I kind of feel sorry for all the effort they put into their features which hardly anyone even gets to see and often think they should just be helping on the emulators rather than hosting servers.

QuoteI would never touch a low population server. I have no wish to play a solo game (the world of RO is too big to only have 200 people some of them being vendors on it). I have no wish to build up the community from the ground either, I don't go to play RO to do a server's job.
Low population does not necessarily mean you have to play alone. Many of the smaller populations are actually pretty friendly. If you go to a server that existed pretty long already but only has like 10 players, you will see all those 10 players immediately warm heartingly welcome you and probably even start new chars so they can level with you (or the server simply is designed not to care about share level range).

There are only two things a big population really is needed:
- Free market system
- WoE

GM Carrot

Agreed with the part where GMs do put lots of effort and care about the server, but they don't get as many players as they wished.
Sometimes people complaint the feature and that, this is a main reason, because you can't please everyone whos like A but others liked B more. GMs might have to decide between A or B feature, as a result either side's gonna dislike the change.

Rider

I really don't get why people doubt if there is any server which is better. I didn't want to discuss about another server but I don't like how people just assume that just because a server got population it is naturally better than the rest. Trust me, I've seen terrible servers with staff that have no clue as to what they are doing have a decent player count. It doesn't mean those servers where somehow better than the rest since there were other factors that affected the population. Someone who truly cares about their server and enforces all the rules are bound to suffer from population because they give more priority to doing what's right and doesn't let something like the player count affect their decision.

DroppedPJK

Quote from: Rider on Feb 26, 2015, 01:33 PM
I really don't get why people doubt if there is any server which is better. I didn't want to discuss about another server but I don't like how people just assume that just because a server got population it is naturally better than the rest. Trust me, I've seen terrible servers with staff that have no clue as to what they are doing have a decent player count. It doesn't mean those servers where somehow better than the rest since there were other factors that affected the population. Someone who truly cares about their server and enforces all the rules are bound to suffer from population because they give more priority to doing what's right and doesn't let something like the player count affect their decision.

That is completely correct. I shouldn't doubt there's a better server. However, it is wrong to say that these advantages outweigh the advantages of a large population. Large populations will die much slower than any server that can't seem to peak beyond 100/200 (actual people).

I have been floating around more classic feeling servers (as in they don't introduce some radical custom feature.) and you just won't find parties. Then again their rates are so much higher than GGROs that partying seems rather mute.

Anyways I've yet to find a better home than GGRO mostly due to the lack of a classic feel or lack of a population. kfuwhwefiwe but the rates are so cancer on GGRO  if you aren't playing a party class.

Cawliflower

We made several mistakes in January which resulted in these lower counts - we've rectified this with internal changes and improvements.

I can assure ggRO will stretch far beyond the current player counts in the future. :) We set records before, and we shall do so again. We have a few options we haven't exhausted in quite awhile, too. /kis We wanted to clean-up internally, re-evaluate the server, and then we'll move forward with pushing marketing efforts far beyond any previous efforts.

We are very focused on striving for the best low-rate experience possible.  /lv I have brought together a wonderful group of developers renown for individual work to further this passion project and divide a lot of the development work that was on entirely on my shoulders. With the resources we have, we're sure to bring forth an experience like no other.

- Cookie
Quoteyesterday im ask gm crewkie hitler for pls ad balance costum like angel wing or 4slot narutaro BUT HE SAY NO.. um sry i thot this was ranganarok and not a nazis???????

DivinityRO 6.9 coming soon!

sinxboy

Quote from: Playtester on Feb 26, 2015, 08:35 AM

Low population does not necessarily mean you have to play alone. Many of the smaller populations are actually pretty friendly. If you go to a server that existed pretty long already but only has like 10 players, you will see all those 10 players immediately warm heartingly welcome you and probably even start new chars so they can level with you (or the server simply is designed not to care about share level range).

I agree with this. I'm in a server with a low pop but still has parties going around.

Quote from: DroppedPJK on Feb 27, 2015, 10:44 AM
That is completely correct. I shouldn't doubt there's a better server. However, it is wrong to say that these advantages outweigh the advantages of a large population. Large populations will die much slower than any server that can't seem to peak beyond 100/200 (actual people).

I have been floating around more classic feeling servers (as in they don't introduce some radical custom feature.) and you just won't find parties. Then again their rates are so much higher than GGROs that partying seems rather mute.

This is not an advertisement or what.. but actually im in a classic server that when I first started has only 5-10 players on it and that was way december 2013.. But as time flies it goes up and down to 20-50ish people. But the good thing about it. I'm not very sure though but its already a year and months old now. You can really see from the server that the Admin is serious about it. And the thing about a server dying. When I started in this server "A" which had 5-10 pop, I was also playing in a server (still lowrate) "B" with a pop of 100-150. but sadly to say the Server "B" Lasted only about 3 months and the much lower pop server lives up to this day.

OnlyRO

Quote from: DroppedPJK on Feb 26, 2015, 07:51 AM
You might disagree that it's a server's job to bring in people and I really can't tell you your wrong. I just feel that most players don't come in groups and all they really want is something already developed. Hence why, I'm sitting here on GGRO contemplating the next step.

The thing about ggRO and its hype is that many other servers are just being ignored by players like you. The are several servers out there that have a population of 200-300+ players and just don't get the credit they are deserving. I've seen great reviews in this forum of servers that launched recently that I've never heard of, just because ggRO overshadowed everything in the last 4-5 months.

I haven't played on a p-server with a big population like ggRO, hence I don't know how the community behaves, but I can say for sure that small communities are often more heart warming than bigger ones.

DroppedPJK

Quote from: OnlyRO on Mar 01, 2015, 12:47 PM
The thing about ggRO and its hype is that many other servers are just being ignored by players like you. The are several servers out there that have a population of 200-300+ players and just don't get the credit they are deserving. I've seen great reviews in this forum of servers that launched recently that I've never heard of, just because ggRO overshadowed everything in the last 4-5 months.

I haven't played on a p-server with a big population like ggRO, hence I don't know how the community behaves, but I can say for sure that small communities are often more heart warming than bigger ones.

How would you go about finding these other servers? Preferably low rates because I don't do customized high rates anymore. It's extremely hard to find accurate population info without downloading the server itself.

OnlyRO

Many servers have a pretty detailed post in this forum:
http://forum.ratemyserver.net/low-rates/

Also reading the reviews from fellow players is always a good idea. Some may not be reflecting the actual server information, but the more reviews there are, the more variety you will get when choosing.