Server types

Started by makoy, May 22, 2018, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

makoy

I have seen ro advertisements saying "Frost server", "based on rathena", stuff like that..
I have been playing ro for a long time, ignoring stuff like those with the mindset of " Its RO so its the same"
So I was wondering what these server types are and how does they affect gameplay. Do i really need to know stuff like those when choosing a server? Just the general idea or tips about it can be helpful.

Thanks in advance~

Yuzo

it's fluff advertising. basically meangingless to your every day person. sounds fancy, mostly used to confuse people.

yC

I am not sure what is it mean by "Frost Server" too, someone give an explanation/example on that would be nice.

In terms of "Based on rathena", most of us know rAthena is the emulator engine that runs behind many of the private RO servers out there.  I guess that is very self-explanatory, with that tag it could be there isn't much modification (to skills or items for example) or just as Yuzo said it's meaningless.

Zinnia

Mostly fluff, it's useless information for the players and shouldn't impact your decision to join a server over another.

rAthena has more frequent updates than hercules though, but a good server team wouldn't wait for the emulator to fix their bugs!

Neffletics

"Frost Server" is just one of the strange terms coined by Filipino server owners.

It's applicable for high ~ super high rate servers where you can max all your stats.

If I recall correctly, it means you can still be frozen even with a maxed INT.

Also, server emulators have differences on item and skill effects/formulas that greatly affects WoE/PVP in HR/SHR servers. (that's what they told me)

That's why players are particular with the emulator used. Owners got tired answering the same question over and over again so they just put it there for anyone's reference.

And hey, there's a new server type now! It's called "RMS Based" lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
solacero rip